Atari 1040ST and Atari SM124 Hi-Res monochrome monitor
- Tag Archives atari
Alan Alda for Atari XL computers, 1983
In the early 1980s it seemed to be a common occurrence for computer companies to enlist celebrities for their ads. Commodore had William Shatner for the VIC-20, Tandy had Isaac Asimov for the TRS-80, and Atari…they chose Alan Alda. Now Alan Alda was certainly a well known celebrity and probably the most famous of all of these at the time. However, it would seem to me that going with sci-fi icons to advertise your computer was a much better way to go. But maybe it was the ringing endorsement of “It’s going all the time!” that sold Atari.
Ultimately, it was Commodore that won the 8-bit computer war. However, I think it had less to do with William Shatner than with their ability to beat out the competition on price due to their vertical integration.
Another issue of my favorite gaming magazine from the late 1980s and early 1990s. The June 1989 issue of VideoGames & Computer Entertainment includes:
- Portable Gaming Grows Up! – Get the lowdown on Nintendo’s handheld game machine.
- Robocop Comes Home! – Part man, part machine…total fun!
- CES Video-Game Preview – Take an advanced look at new NES products that video-game companies will be showing in Chicago.
- Metal Gear Strategy Guide – Get behind the enemy lines safely with another helpful video-game tip session.
- Zany Golf Strategy Guide – Don’t have a stroke! Polish your putting game with these simple hints.
- Gaming Goes Hollywood – Our experts cover the history of games that got their inspiration from movies and TV.
- Just…Two Guys From Andromeda – These two space cadets put aside their latest Quest long enough for us to introduce them to you.
- Computer-Game Strategies – Don’t get frustrated! We’ll help you brush up on MicroLeague WWF Wrestling and Superstar Ice Hockey.
- Video-Game Reviews
- Ms. Pac-Man
- 3-D WorldRunner
- Section Z
- Mickey Mousecapade
- City Connection
- Computer-Game Reviews
- Carrier Command
- The President is Missing
- Operation Clean Streets
- F-18 Hornet
- Editor’s Letter
- Reader Mail
- News Bits
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Game Doctor
- Inside Gaming
- Advertiser Index