Electronic Gaming Monthly was my second favorite gaming magazine behind VideoGames & Computer Entertainment. It was close though. EGMs sheer volume was amazing and they did a better job of covering new and upcoming games and systems including rumors than anyone. One of the earliest issues I bought had detailed coverage of the upcoming Super Nintendo CD add-on. Alas, that never came to pass. The May 1993 issue includes:
- Insert Coin
- Interface: Letters to the Editor
- Review Crew
- Software Calendar
- EGM Top Ten
- Gaming Gossip
- EGM Express
- Leading Edge
- Game Doctor
- Tricks of the Trade
- Game Contests
- High Scores
- Hot Hits From The Orient – The epic journey of Adol continues in Y’s IV: Mask of the Sun. Plus, shooting action with Esperanza and mystery with A-Rank.
- The Latest and Greatest – The first pix of Sega’s Phantasy Star IV for the Genesis. Thrill to Alien 3, General Chaos, G-2 and Spider-Man 3!
- Street Fighter Spectacular – We’ve got the hot new pix for Street Fighter 2 on the Genesis. This Champion Edition is sure to blow your mind!
Behind the Screens
- Chip Off the Old Block – Jez San of Argonaut Software talks about his work on the Super FX chip, debuting in Nintendo’s new space shooter, StarFox.
- Street Fighter Comic! – Check out the second part of Malibu’s fantastic Street Fighter comic! It’s a sure hit with all SF fans!