Digital Archaeology: Codex (Floppy Disk) #8 (part 3)

Still continuing the exploration of the contents of this floppy disk (see the first part here and the second part here). It’s amazing how much information can fit even on a 5.25″ floppy disk when it is all text. This disk is from a batch I picked up at a thrift store a number of years ago. As I have been digging through these disks, it has become obvious that at least some of them were once owned by someone named Connie A. Buys who used to run the “Close Encounters” Special Interest Group (SIG) on Delphi in the mid 1980s.

A SIG, as it relates to Delphi, consisted of forums, live chat and files to download centered around a particular topic or theme. A specific definition of this SIG was found in this document: “This SIG, known as “Close Encounters”, is a forum for the discussion of relationships that develop via computer services like the Source, CompuServe, and Delphi. Our primary emphasis is on the sexual aspects of those relationships.”

Everything was text based from whatever terminal program you used to dial in to Delphi’s servers. Many of these disks have forum messages, e-mails and chat session logs. All of this is pre-internet stuff and I don’t know if there are any archives in existence today of what was on Delphi in the 1980s. In any case, much of this stuff would have been private at the time and some of it is quite personal.

I’m splitting up the contents of this disk (descriptively labeled “File Disk”) since it contains a number of documents, some of which are pretty long. The third document I’m posting (DM1010.DOC) is another log of a session on Delphi and consists mostly of a series of e-mails, some of which are, um, love letters and some of which are administrative in nature about running the SIG. These are from October 2nd through October 10th, 1985.

DM1001B.DOC

read 1
#1 2-OCT-1985 20:37:07 MAIL

From: BOS1A::CABUYS “CONNIE”
To: JOEY, JOHNMYSELF,CABUYS
Subj: Sysop Opening – Close Encounters SIG
Joey,

You’ve been a very good supporter of the Close Encounters sig since it’s
opening on the Groups and Clubs menu.

We are now in need of a sysop and I would like to know if you are interested.

It would require that you be on line most nights between 9 and 11 in the sig.
It would mean that you would be on the lookout for new sig members and new
users to Delphi <tho we’re not pushing this *until* the system problems are
resolved>. It would mean that you would have to be looking for information,
articles, etc. that could be added to the database, although I would handle
getting permission if the article is copyright protected since I have to keep
such paper records on file. It would mean that you would need to help us
(and I’m getting way behind on this one myself!) in keeping the Forum seciton
of the sig moving along with either replies to old messages or posting new
ones for discussion. It would mean suggesting and looking for suggestions
from others as to possible conference topics (JohnMyself will still be
running the conferences each Saturday night).

In exchange for this and anything else you might come up with to help the
sig grow and become profitable, I would be able to offer you a Free Flag
within the sig itself. I would have to ask tho that you *not* access the
sig during prime time and that you not make it too public that you have the
free flag.

The general idea is that you will get enough people into the sig to cover the
expense involved in your free flag. You see, the expense for the free flag is
deducted from any sig royalty checks should the sig make a profit. You can
invite anyone you want to join you in the conference area here within the sig
especially since one does *not* have to be a member of the sig to go into the
sig conference area.

Anyway, Joey, I think I’ve given you enough info here to give you an idea of
what is involved. I must ask that you keep all this info confidential please.

If you are interested in this, please let me know as soon as possible. If you
wish to discuss it before deciding, we can do that at your convenience either
on the phone or on line.

Enough rambling for now! Talk to you soon, I hope!

<hugs>
-Connie

#2 2-OCT-1985 22:02:15 MAIL

From: BOS1A::JOHNMYSELF
To: BOS1A::CABUYS,JOHNMYSELF
Subj: RE: flags

oh yeah, that distinguishes a vender from the regular members
of the sig. read something about it in insiders.

#3 3-OCT-1985 10:12:07 MAIL

From: BOS1A::JOEY “JOEY”
To: BOS1A::CABUYS
Subj: RE: Sysop Opening – Close Encounters SIG

Connie,

I would gbe glad to accept your offer. I always thought the sysop had an

interesting job and always wondered how to go about apply}ing. I don’t

have to wonder anymore, huh? (smile.). I iwll will be online tonight about

8:00 p.m. delphi permitting. I had a real hard time staying online

last night. If I can’t get online, I will call you if that is ok.

the node here is giving me fits. We have had a lot of rain and lightning.

Guess that affects it. Well, talk to you tonight.

Joey
Hugs

#4 3-OCT-1985 16:45:50 MAIL

From: BOS1A::CABUYS “CONNIE”
To: BOS1A::JOEY,CABUYS
Subj: RE: Sysop Opening – Close Encounters SIG

Joey,

I’ll make it a point to be here at 8, Delphi and Uninet willing. If not,
then do please call.

If the number you have is busy, please call 904-388-3135. When I’m on line,
I use the number you have but have a second line which is almost always
free.

Talk to you soon!

<hugs>
-Connie

#5 3-OCT-1985 16:48:53 MAIL

From: BOS1A::CABUYS “CONNIE”
To: ELLISCO,CABUYS
Subj: help?!

Hiya Dick!

If you get a chance, would you come into Close Encounters and try to read
message 200?

Since the great crash, we keep getting “unable to retrieve the information
requested.” <sigh>

F flag for :JOEY
Date set :851003
Sig F flag for :CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

#8 3-OCT-1985 16:56:20 MAIL

From: BOS1A::CABUYS “CONNIE”
To: CABUYS,CABUYS
Subj: You set this F flag !

Person who set F flag :CABUYS
F flag for :JOEY
Date set :851003
Sig F flag is for :CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

#9 3-OCT-1985 19:06:08 MAIL

From: BOS1A::ELLISCO “Dick Evans”
To: CABUYS
Subj: 200

Sorry Connie, I get the same answer. Guess that’s one theat the crash ate.
Agape
Dick

#10 3-OCT-1985 23:24:00 MAIL

From: BOS1A::ATRICK
To: CABUYS,ATRICK
Subj: Wang SIG

Connie, did you make it to the Wang show this week? I’ve been heavily
involved in it for the past 4 days and made lots of good contacts (people who
will be joining us in the SIG). Heard some comments about Redshaw–in fact,
Dr. Wang himself mentioned them as an excellent company supporting 2200’s.
Sorry there’s not more for you to see in the SIG yet (noticed you stopped in
again tonite). Hpe tope to be growing
in databases, etc. real soon, and wile welcome your participation!
Best,
Allan

#11 4-OCT-1985 00:14:49 MAIL

From: BOS1A::RODM
To: CABUYS,RODM
Subj: SURPRISE!

My Beloved Darling Connie,

The first thing I want to say is NO surprise! – I LOVE YOU !!!!

I hope to surprise you with something before 8 PM so stay prepared
and patient of my insistance to be close to you !!

That is meant to confuse you !

If I haven’t surprised you with something before 8 PM I wasn’t able to do someth
ing!

Oh well maybe next time!!

I LOVE YOU !!!

I MORTHOVE YOU !!!!!!!

Love,

Rod

#12 4-OCT-1985 01:06:36 MAIL

From: BOS1A::RODM
To: CABUYS,RODM
Subj: A Heartfelt Message!

My DELICOUS Darling,

Love,

Rod

#13 4-OCT-1985 18:22:02 MAIL

From: BOS1A::PRINCESS
To: CABUYS
Subj: hiya <hugs>

hope all is well, why was rod callimg ng me last night?
if you want to call tonight, and can, call after 9
thanks
hugs
peggy

#14 4-OCT-1985 21:28:48 MAIL

From: BOS1A::JOHNMYSELF
To: CABUYS
Subj: what’s this

Hey little girl – want some candy?

ooo
                      ooooo
                     ooooooo
                     ooooooo
                     >ooooo<
                     ooooooo
                     ooooooo
                     ooooooo
                     ooooooo
                     ooooooo
                '";;;;;;;;;;;;"'

#15 5-OCT-1985 09:46:03 MAIL

From: BOS1A::CABUYS “CONNIE”
To: JOEY,CABUYS
Subj: meaning of various flags <for your info>
1699 3-OCT-22:53: General Info
RE: Recovered message (Re: Msg 1695)
From: ELLISCO To: ASMCOR

a= alternate and allows the person to edit and delete messages in forum
c= conference moderator, limited to 1 per SIG