Digital Archaeology: Codex (Floppy Disk) #9 (part 2)

A summary for those that haven’t been keeping up with this series:

I found a number of 5.25″ disks at a thrift store several years ago. I finally got around to acquiring a 5.25″ disk drive and extracting the contents a while back. Since then I have been posting the contents here.

Based on the contents, at least some of these disks were apparently once owned by someone named Connie A. Buys who used to run the “Close Encounters” Special Interest Group (SIG) on Delphi in the mid 1980s.

A specific definition of this SIG was found in a document on one of the disks: “This SIG, known as ‘Close Encounters’, is a forum for the discussion of relationships that develop via computer services like the Source, CompuServe, and Delphi. Our primary emphasis is on the sexual aspects of those relationships.”

This service was text based and was accessed via whatever terminal program you used to dial in to Delphi’s servers from your computer. Many of these disks have forum messages, e-mails and chat session logs. All of this is pre-internet stuff and I don’t know if there are any archives in existence today of what was on Delphi in the 1980s. In any case, much of this stuff would have been private at the time and probably wouldn’t exist in such archives even if they existed.

This post includes the contents of DM1106.DOC and includes stuff from late October 1985. There’s quite a bit here. This is basically a dump of an e-mail session with the first e-mail containing a chat log. My favorite parts are the ad for the press release for the Tandy 600 laptop and the end where you see the disconnect and reconnect :).

See the previous post here.

===
DM1106.DOC
===

#1          27-OCT-1985 09:42:49                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::CABUYS       "CONNIE"
To:     RODM,CABUYS
Subj:   wasn't much of a Halloween party  but here's co transcript.

.Sexy Witch> I assume the kids are all asleep.
.Sexy Witch> by the way, how was 'Airwolf"?
.Myself> the kids are in bed - not necessarily asleep yet
.Myself> but my door is closed
.Myself> airwolf was good cept they cut into it because of the world series game
.Myself> that makes two weeks in a row.
.Sexy Witch> figures.
.Sexy Witch> I think conference attendance will be low tonight. sigh.
.Myself> they pushed the evening magazine thing complete after the game because
of
.Myself> their local p[rogramming committment
.Myself> then ran that over into airwolf time abt 5 minutes.
.Sexy Witch> bet the one thing not cut was commercials!
.Myself> right!
** Fuzzy One just joined CLE - HALLOWEEN PARTY (3 members now) **
.Myself> hi fuzz
.Sexy Witch> hi Fuzzy!
.Fuzzy One> Hi!
/rn fuzzy one
FRIED
.Fuzzy One> Gee, small party.
.Sexy Witch> I do love fuzz!!!
.Myself> it isn't really started yet
.Myself> most folks will start showing up shortly
.Fuzzy One> Urk, I think I have the noisiest phone line in New England!
.Fuzzy One>
.Sexy Witch> tell it to be quiet, Fuzzy!
.Fuzzy One> Can't stand it. Gonna try again. Back soonly.
.Fuzzy One> - signed off -
** Dick just joined CLE - HALLOWEEN PARTY (3 members now) **
/s ellisco
.Myself> hi dick
.Dick> big party!
.Dick> hi john, connie.
.Dick> what's happening?
.Sexy Witch> how are you, Dick?
.Myself> nothing yet
.Dick> fine, been busy.
.Myself> we are just waiting for our faithful friends and fellow
.Myself> members to arricve
** Fuzzy One just joined CLE - HALLOWEEN PARTY (4 members now) **
.Sexy Witch>
.Dick> just finished reading all of the project threads.
.Fuzzy One> I *think* that's better.
.Dick> great fun!
.Sexy Witch> welcome back, Fuzzy. is line any quieter?
.Fuzzy One> Yes,d*OUTPUT OFF*

#2          27-OCT-1985 11:06:24                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::CABUYS       "CONNIE"
To:     RODM,CABUYS
Subj:   your account

Darling,

I couldn't wait so I came on line on your account and reposted your
message.

I also posted the "Clock" since it's very appropriate today!

Hope you don't object but if you do, please say so.  I'm now going to post
my reply to your message.

By the way, I also went into your workspace.  You have a mess there that's
going to cost you money!

I'll clean it up, if you wish, like I did before.  Just give me the ok to do
so.

I love you!

Love,
Connie

MAIL> d

#3          27-OCT-1985 14:43:35                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::ELLISCO      "Dick Evans"
To:     CABUYS, JOHNMYSELF
Subj:   an naswer?

From:   BOS1A::PEABO        "Peter Olson, ICONtact Manager" 27-OCT-1985 01:39
To:     BOS1A::ELLISCO
Subj:   RE: request

They should do what I did in the Mac SIG ... include the membership
agreemenet as a paragraph or two in the non-member bulletin.

Ultimately you cannot force people to read something ... there is nothing
that can be done to prevent a well-placed ^O from canning output, and in
the last analuysis, nothing to prevent someone from being too inattentive
to read something.  All you can do is make someone lie about whether they
were paying attention or not.

Sad, but true.

peter

MAIL> d

#4          27-OCT-1985 14:57:19                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::CABUYS       "CONNIE"
To:     ELLISCO,PEABO,JOHNMYSELF,CABUYS
Subj:   thanks!

You are, of course, right, Peter.

Although our non-member bulletin includes the same info about age
requirement as the new-member agreement, it had not seemed to help any.

We'll continue to deal with this as we have.

Thanks for everything!

-Connie

MAIL> d

#5          27-OCT-1985 15:04:39                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::CABUYS       "CONNIE"
To:     JOHNMYSELF,CABUYS
Subj:   Best Sexual Fantasy contest

John,

When you have the time, play with this idea a little and let me know what you
think.

I'd like to run a contest for the best sexual fantasy.  Contest would run for
one month .  I would ask in Insiders for 5 sig managers
to be volunteer judges of the entries.  All entries would be submitted to
the LadyLove account and when contest ends, forwarded to the judges.

Within one week of contest ending date, judges would decide on the winner, who
would receive $20 credit on Delphi account.

All entries to the contest would be submitted to the Fantasy database.

I'm sure you could do your usual excellent job with writing rules and disclaimee
rs
etc.

What do you think of the idea?

Love,
Connie

MAIL> d

#6          27-OCT-1985 15:15:34                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::WIL1
To:     CABUYS
Subj:

Do you think you could reply to the last ma essage      essage!

Willie(WIL1)

P.S. If I did, would you let me have full privelages t in the sig?

MAIL> d

#7          27-OCT-1985 20:00:23                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::JOHNMYSELF
To:     BOS1A::CABUYS,JOHNMYSELF
Subj:   RE: Best Sexual Fantasy contest

Sounds like a good idea and the $20 prize might just draw more
attention.  Will get to work on the details and get back to you
before the first of the month. <ha!>  Will try anyway.

Just be careful we don't award more prizes than our profits
can afford to cover.

Love,  Myself

MAIL> d

#8          27-OCT-1985 20:22:57                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::QUICKRODNEY
To:     CABUYS
Subj:   Mar 85 Playboy

Hi.
I have a copy of "Ta ype Dirty to Me" which i I'm quite willing to part with.

Lemme know what to do.

MAIL> d

#10         27-OCT-1985 23:46:32                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::RODM
To:     CABUYS,RODM
Subj:   Warning}i - Advirsory

My DELICOUS Darling Connie,

You fixed the Profile in the MAIN menu as shown below:

MEMBER-NAME : CABUYS

NAME      : Connie A. Buys
BIRTHDATE : January 11, 1948.
COMPUTERS : Tandy 1000 and TRS80 Model 100.
GENERAL   : I am the sig manager for Delphi's Close Encounters sig,
   which deals with relationships, how they develope and how they
   affect our lives. For more information, send DMAIL to CABUYS or
   type at the MAIN> Delphi prompt, GR CLO.
LOCATION  : Jacksonville, Fl
TERM-SOFT : Omniterm

BUT!!!!!

Your Profile in the Close Encounters Member Directory reads as follows:

MEMBER-NAME : CABUYS

NAME      : Connie A. Buys
COMPUTERS : TRS80 Model 1; Radio Shack Model 100; Tandy 1000; also use
   IBM PC and Wang 2200 MVP systems at work.
HOBBIES   : Sig Manager of The Close Encounters Sig (formerly known as
   Friendship Circle Sig on Delphi.  Former SysOp of The Issues Sig on
   CompuServe.  Interested in how relationships develop via computer
   services like Delphi, Source, and CompuServe.  Latest hobby is
   Teddy Bears - I collect anything I can afford about 'em!  Also
   enjoy reading, movies , talking on
   the phone, traveling, and cooking
LOCATION  : Jacksonville, Fl.
OCCUPATION: Computer operations manager for large insurance agency in
   the Jacksonville area.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>>>>>>>>
ONLINEIDS : Delphi:  CaBuys, Ladylove, Amanda, Miranda. Unison:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ >>>>>>>>>

Connie Source: TCY745 MCI mail ID:  115-1075. CompuServe:  All
   accounts are inactive and will remain that way.
SEX       : Female and loving every minute of it!
TERM-SOFT : Depends on which computer I'm using at the time.

I did NOT change it !!!! But thought you should know about AMANDA and MIRANDA

BY THE WAY!!!!!!

<<<>>>>>>>>>>>> I LOVE YOU <<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>

Love,

Rod

MAIL> d

#11         28-OCT-1985 03:05:55                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::RODM
To:     CABUYS,RODM
Subj:   ....and so much more!

IIIIII      LLLLLL       OOOO  VV          VV  EEEEEEEE

Morthove,

Rod

MAIL> d

#12         28-OCT-1985 03:07:16                                        MAIL
From:   BOS1A::RODM
To:     CABUYS,RODM
Subj:   ....and more still!!

>>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>> I  LOVE  YOU <<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>