Electronic Game Player was a very short lived video games magazine form the late 1980s. While this particular magazine didn’t last very long, it was the predecessor to Electronic Gaming Monthly. The last issue of EGP had a number of things that would be familiar to those that have seen earlier issues of EGM. The September/October 1988 issue of Electronic Game Player includes the following:
- Atari Plays to Win – Once holding a commanding profile in the electronic gaming spotlight, the Atari 2600 has failed to excite players in the shadows of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Master System. But Atari is now ready to play hardball against the new generation of gaming goliaths with their 7800 system.
- Dare to Compare – A great new column you’ll find every month in EGP! It’s summer and that can only mean one thing…BASEBALL! Bring out the boys and get ready for some of the hottest video baseball action available for play on your Nintendo Entertainment System! Special reporter Mike Myers provides in-depth analysis as four tough hitters step up to bat for your gaming dollar. Get at a glance comparisons and hard-hitting ratings of four major contenders!
- Special Report From the CES – The bi-annual Consumer Electronic Show once again staged a successful preview of things to come from the electronic gaming superpowers! EGP takes you behind the scenes and provides an advance sneak peek at the games you’ll be playing for the next twelve months as well as important developments that may change the way we all play video games at home.
- The Electronic Game Player “Win An Arcade Game” Contest – A fantastic video game give-away from your favorite video game mag! Match game screens with game titles and you could WIN an authentic coin-operated video game just like the ones you see in the arcade!
- The Winners Corner – Learn about our latest contest winners and enter the “Save Your Allowance” sweepstakes – you could win a year’s worth of games courtesy of your friends at EGP!
Also In This Issue…
- SCORE – How to Master Double Dragon – Learn the hottest techniques and super secret strategies of the U.S. National Video Game Team as they show you how to conquer the most talked-about game of the year! Find out how to attack each character, improve your scores, and complete each of the game’s power-packed missions! Play like a pro and impress your friends with this special strategy feature!
- Tricks of the Trade – Find out about the latest, most guarded gaming secrets anywhere! Champions from around the country show you how to use hidden tricks, level selects, and power-ups to your advantage! Valuable information that puts you in control of your game!
- Mark of Excellence – The most famous game players in the world, the U.S. National Video Game Team, introduce you to the latest favorites that have earned their coveted “Seal of Approval”.