woman Virginia Randolph‏‎, daughter of Thomas Mann Randolph and Anne Cary‏.
Born ‎ Jan 31, 1786 at Tuckahoe,, died ‎ May 2, 1852 at Corybrook, Fluvanna, VA, USA‎, 66 years
At the age of 12 12 she was adopted by her eldest brother
Col. Thomas Mann Randolph, Jr. and his wife [Martha,
daughter of Thomas Jefferson] and went to live at Edge-
hill.... The house, being unfinished, was not particu-
larly comfortable, but in the large vaulted public rooms the
young people never got near the fire; whatever they suf-
fered from cold, they bore heroically, for in those days
children were constrained to silence, and only spoke when
spoken to."*

13. Virginia Randolph, b. at Tuckahoe, Goochland Co., Va., Jan. 31, 1786. She married at Monticello, Albemarle Co., Va. (Aug. 28, 1805), Wilson Jefferson Cary, of Carysbrooke, Fluvanna Co., Va. He was a great-nephew of Thomas Jefferson, President of United States. They had five children.

Married ‎ Aug 28, 1805 at Monticello, Albemarle, VA, USA (17 or 18 years married) to:

man Wilson Jefferson Cary‏‎, son of Archibald Cary, "Old Iron" and N.N.‏. Adoption parents: Wilson Cary and Jane Barbara Carr
Born ‎ 1784 at Carysbrooke, Fluvanna Co., Va, died ‎ 1823 at Warwick, VA, USA‎, 38 or 39 years
13. Virginia Randolph, b. at Tuckahoe, Goochland Co., Va., Jan. 31, 1786. She married at Monticello, Albemarle Co., Va. (Aug. 28, 1805), Wilson Jefferson Cary, of Carysbrooke, Fluvanna Co., Va. He was a great-nephew of Thomas Jefferson, President of United States. They had five children.

"Wilson Jefferson Cary was (with his brother Miles) heir to a fortune reputed large; both were educated at William and Mary; neither followed a profession, though the elder graduated at the law school. Miles was indolent, Wilson devoted to books, perhaps more as a reader than a student . . . hehad . . . the utmost refinement of manner . . . he was one of the purest, most noble-minded men that ever breathed--too sensitive for the peculiar difficulties which were to be encountered in his mature life."
"Being the grandnephew of Jefferson, Mr. Cary was naturally a frequent visitor at Monticello; here, just grown into womanhood, he met the lady who was to be his future wife. The youngest daughter of Col. Thomas Mann Randolph of Tuckahoe was left an orphan in infancy [i. e., motherless]. The marriage of Colonel Randolph to a gay handsome girl of the age of his second son placed the little Virginia in a most neglected position, and she was taken charge of by an elder sister [Mrs. Richard Randolph] . . . At the age of 12 she was adopted by her eldest brother Col. Thomas Mann Randolph, Jr. and his wife [Martha, daughter of Thomas Jefferson] and went to live at Edge hill.... The house, being unfinished, was not particularly comfortable, but in the large vaulted public rooms the young people never got near the fire; whatever they suffered from cold, they bore heroically, for in those days children were constrained to silence, and only spoke when spoken to."*
Virginia Randolph's education was carefully directed by Mr. Jefferson, and he laid out courses of history and music for her. The Carysbrook Memoir continues: "She was a gifted woman. Her fine imagination found ready expression in graceful verses, and her facility in conversation was such as is not often excelled; her thoughts clothed themselves in fitting and beautiful language at all times; she
did not merely talk 'for company' but always in her utmost privacy spoke in the same elegant and flowing manner. In person she was very tall and in early life very slender,
with a regular Roman cast of features, and a profusion of light brown curling hair; though not exactly handsome she was fine looking and distinguished. In youth her disposition was very gay and never lost its cheerfulness; she never sank into dullness and quietude, but retained the fresh en- joyment of life and a youthful unweariness of spirit."
*On a recent visit to Edgehill with his sister-in-law Mrs. Fairfax Harrison, herself a Cary, the writer joined her in a search for the "crying tree" on the lawn, to which the children were always sent
by Col. Randolph and told to finish their cry there, and not to come back into the house until they had stopped.
"Wilson Jefferson Cary was married at Monticello to Virginia Randolph, August 20,1805, by the Reverend Matthew Maury, a clergyman of the Episcopal Church. The couple proceeded in Autumn to Williamsburg and became inmates of Col. Wilson Miles Cary's family."
Of their agreeable life in the polite society of Williamburg and of the birth there of their first fourchildren we shall record nothing here. Wilson Jefferson Cary volunteered in the Army during the War of 1812; never robust, he was seriously ill in a Virginia camp. Towards the end of the war hebecame involved, like many another Virginian, in a controversy with his eccentric cousin, John
Raldolph of Roanoke, which led to the insertion by him of a "card' in the Richmond Enquirer of April 1st, 1815, which reads:
"Fluvanna, Dec. 14, 1814" [in regard to a conversation between John Randolph of Roanoke and himself, it concludes] "One word more--a certain Capt. Thomas Miller of Powhatan having thrust himself into this business, and gratuitously undertaken to comment upon my certificate in a late No. of Mr. Davis' paper, in terms equally evincing the delicacy of his taste and the purity of his style, I avail myself of this opportunity to say to that person, that the only feeling which he has excited in my mind is the feeling of utter contempt. If I have injured Mr. Randolph, he may have a claim upon me for redress. But I will not permit any subaltern of his to step into his shoes.
[Certificate of J. B. Banister attached]


Nothing further came of this matter, the impetuous Mr. Randolph being, no doubt, too busy with his other quarrels.
Meanwhile, as we have noted, Mr. Cary and his family had moved from Williamsburg up to Fluvanna where for many years his grandfather, Col. Wilson Miles Cary, had maintained a "quarter" with overseers in charge of his large body of slaves.
A description of their new home on the frontier, taken from the Carysbrook memoir, follows: "In the autumn of 1810 my parents bade adieu to the comforts of the ancestral house and the genial loving peo ple of Williamsburg, and went to their new home in the wilds of a county even then a proverb for wildness and solitude. The house at Carysbrook was almost on the banks of the small river (Rivanna) which here forms a bend, on the high ground of which the little cluster of dwellings stood.... The place had no beauty except its summer garb.... In the whole county there were but three fami-
lies who could have any common ground of interest or sympathy.
"The house at Carysbrook was not such as one would expect to find on the estate of a wealthy planter. It had been built for the overseer, and was originally composed of three rooms and a sort of rude verandah. To this had been added an entry and another room, and yet another of the kind called "lean to," and a longer verandah all the length of the house. There were garrets above with steep-sloping side walls and dormer windows; altogether it was an ill-contrived, rude habitation, which no one dreamed could become the permanent abode of the family. Like all wooden houses in this region, it had never been painted and wore a sober grey tint, less to be depreciated as unsightly than because the boards were exposed by want of paint to premature decay. The furniture was of the simplest kind and didn't include an article not absolutely in- dispensable, not a sofa, not an easy chair, and only enough and of the commonest kind then called 'Windsor', painted black and only suited to the slenderest proportions. For carpets, there was in each room a single strip in front of
the fire. Yet my father was to inherit a fortune reputed lar
. . . "How sorrowful it is to reflect on our fathers ill success.... So impressed was he with the idea that the land was worn out and that successful farming was impossible, that his whole thought had been to sell out and go west. It was his dream, a longing for the deep forests and new settlements of the West. It seemed to him an Eldorado. One of his last requests was not to be buried at Carysbrook; the place he said had broken his heart, with its solitude, its worn out lands and the load of debt left by
his grandfather.... A year or two before his death my father's sister, Mrs. Newsum, had removed to Tennessee. Her journal full of enthusiastic description of the grand old forests they traversed, probably caused this desire for change."
The author of the Carysbrook Memoir ascribes the fall of the old aristocracy to the law abolishing entail. She also sagely remarks that no one at that late date could prosper under slavery unless he was a hard master--and that her father never could have been.
On September 5, 1823, in the fortieth year of his age, Wilson Jefferson Cary died. In obedience to his request, his body was not buried, as was the old custom, upon his estate, but in the little grave-yard at Monticello. Mr. Jefferson followed him there less than three years later.
In his will, Wilson Jefferson Cary directed that his landed estate should be sold, and added:
"It is my will and desire that my family continue to live together, my children under the guardianship of their mother . . . when the lands and negroes are sold it is fur- thermore my will that a decent and comfortable tenement be purchased in some small town in the upper country or good country neighborhood as a home for my widow and children
"After his death," writes his daughter in the Carys- brook Memoir, "a new manager was appointed in the place of the two overseers. And now the resources of the place began to develop, large crops of wheat and tobacco began to be the rule."
It is at this period that young Archibald makes his first appearance in our story:
"The spring rains had swollen the river until it was scarcely fordable; when a servant alarmed us by stating that my youngest brother, a boy of ten, could not be found;
he had gone off on a very small pony and it was feared that he had attempted to cross the river. We were all panic struck: My mother went in one direction, my sister and myself in another, and all the house servants followed. . . . We soon met, riding quietly home, the lad who had wit enough to return without attempting to cross the river."
In spite of temporary improvement in the crops from Carysbrook estate, Fluvanna County soon got the better of the gallant young widow. She had the care of seven children, all minors, the management of spoiled and incometent household slaves and the direction of a large landed estate. Of this, only the low grounds along the river were fertile, and from them the crops were occasionally swept away by floods. Moreover, she had to struggle under the burden of debts still surviving from the estate of her husband's grandfather. She rose well to the occasion showing robust character and cheerful courage and she had the benefit of kindly advice from her distinguished neighbor across the river, General John Hartwell Cocke of Bremo. And yet, with all her efforts, Mrs. Virginia Cary could not
make Carysbrook pay.
It was the end of an era of agricultural society in Virginia. Tobacco was no longer the mainstay of the Old Dominion. Wheat, it is true, kept many a farm going for the next few decades, and then went down as the immense production of the new lands across the Mississippi made itself felt. Time and time again, since the Carys left Carysbrook, the estate has passed from hand to hand.
To the casual wayfarer of today, the endless vistas of jack pine and persimmon trees make of most of Fluvanna County a dreary landscape. Attempts to cultivate great reaches of this infertile soil have long since been abandoned.
On November 26, 1826, the old house at Carysbrook burned to the ground. Kind General Cocke at once established the homeless Cary family in one of his houses called "Bremo Recess." The General undertook to plan and supervise the building of a new house for them, which took nearly a year. Even in the Virginia of long ago, a year's visit, though not, it is true, actually in the big house at Bremo, was rather too much of a good thing. There are evidences that meanwhile the quality of mercy became
somewhat strained. The two families of Cocke and Cary rather got on one another's nerves.
The new house at Carysbrook was built much as it ex- ists today. The Carys remained there for three years longer, and then the estate was sold, in part in 1830 and the balance in 1832. This was in accordance with the provisions of the will of Wilson Jefferson Cary.
We find a somewhat depressing description of the "new" house at Carysbrook in an article by the late Mrs. Delia B. Page, entitled "Recollections of Home" and published in 1903. Her father, John Randolph Bryan of Eagle Point, Gloucester County, Virginia, bought the place in 1845, and
this is what she wrote of it:
"My father bought this place after Mr. Archie Harrison's death, who owned it at that time. It had been built for Mrs. Virginia Cary, and although General John Hartwell Cocke superintended the building, it had some fatal mistakes which were made in the structure of the house, had money enough spent on it to have made a most comfortable dwelling. Instead of four large rooms on a floor, there were only two large and two small, and in the parlor a large folding door opening into a small room with no fire place. I remember how the children ran to open the folding door and stood back aghast to see there was
nothing behind it. Then the stair-case was wretched, steep and crooked. Upstairs the rooms were better, divided into four available rooms and a small one over the end of the passage in front of the house. It had a basement dining- room and two damp basement cellar rooms, one intended as a store room, but could not be used as such, because too damp. My mother begged my father to cut an area around the house, but he never would do it, and, as she was delicate, she never stayed in the dining-room any longer than possible.
"The climate was fine though, and the water good, the grass green and some fine shade trees, elms, hack-berries, a beautiful ash and tall old locusts, in which the woodpeckers had their haunts. Porches with white pillars, but no railings, so the children had a fine chance to fall off, which
Joe did the first thing.
"When it was known in Gloucester that Mr. Bryan had bought Carysbrook and that he would take his family up there to spend their summers, they took it as a personal affront.... But papa had his own way. He wanted to look after his tobacco crop and though loth to go, we went."


man Archibald Cary‏
Born ‎ 1815 at Carysbrook, Fluvanna Co., VA, died ‎ Sep 20, 1854 at Cumberland, MD‎, 38 or 39 years
Biography of CARY, Archibald
Francis Burton Harrison l942


Archibald Cary Was born at Carysbrook, Fluvanna County, Virginia, in 1815 and died at Cumberland, Mary- land in 1854. He left three children him surviving, and in this year of Grace 1942, two of his grandchildren are still alive. It is for his great-grandchildren, numbering fifteen today that these pages are written and privately printed.
Of comely presence, robust constitution, good health and athletic habit, Archibald Cary was a handsome and manly man.
In a worldly sense, his career was unsuccessful, but he never lacked in courage, integrity nor in the high qualities of his class. Having been born without an inferiority com- plex, he never envied those who outstripped him in the race for wealth and power. His chief misfortune was to have been born a century too late.
He enters our story mounted on his own pony and leaves it on foot, seeking employment as a village schoolmaster. With him, trudging away from the land of his birthright, went the shades of his ancestors. Tidewater Virginians of the days of King Tobo. were already vanishing from the stage forever.
If Mr. Cary's worldly career was a failure as measured by the yard-stick of dollars and cents, his defects were clearly those of his qualities. It is true that, unlike his forbears, he was not a planter, and that is perhaps the reason why he never held public office as had all of his ancestors in Virginia. Indeed he never sought an official post, and yet he exercised a considerable influence upon his
contemporaries through his public addresses and by the medium of various newspapers of which he was the editor or to which he made contribution.
He did not live to see his country torn and shattered by civil war, but his son and daughter filled gallant roles in the Confederacy, afterwards passing the years of their maturity in hustling New York. Their respective children, of whom the present writer was one were born in New York and grew up there with very little knowledge of this Virginia ancestor of long ago.
It has been the agreeable task of the present writer to collect the surviving papers of his two Virginia grandfathers, Jesse Burton Harrison of Lynchburg and Archibald Cary of Carysbrook.
A curious parallel runs through the careers of these two men. Each was born of a well-to-do father; each was highly educated; each of them received his early impressions of public affairs at Monticello from the aged philosopher Mr. Jefferson. Both of these young Virginians became lawyers though greatly preferring belles lettres; both migrated to the new South-West, and both edited newspapers there in support of anti-Jackson candidates for the presidency during a chapter of our history which had already reached its climax with the mob wiping its boots on the satin covers of the White House furniture. They lived the mature years of their short lives in an era of acute financial depression, as spectators of political manoeuvres marked by wholesale drunkenness, considerable peculation in office and unlicensed calumny. It was an age of wide- spread hate and envy. In these circumstances, one is not surprised to find in their respective letters and published articles many shades of sadness and disappointment.
Both of these men died young, long before the acrimonious passions of that era of party politics had burst into armed conflict between the states. Neither lived to see the ruin of that Virginia they loved so well, but each left a son to play his part in the service of the Confederac
Both of these grandfathers, however, had suffered in their own day from the spectacle of the crass materialism, greedy ambition, political chicanery and shameless intrigue which marked the "Party Battles of the Jackson Period."
Under cover of the shouting and the tumult of those days, economic changes were slowly liquidating what was left of tidewater prosperity in Virginia. Broad acres burnt out by incessant crops of tobacco were now only "old fields"; with the migration from tidewater lands up to Piedmont, the cost of transportation of their barrels of tobacco began to wipe out the profits of the planters. The
Wars of the Revolution and of Napoleon on the Continent, of which our conflict of 1812 was but a minor incident, closed foreign markets to our planters. And finally, to cap it all, the new lands across the Alleghanies, especially in Kentucky, produced tobacco which could reach the market down thegreat rivers at a much lower cost than Pied mont planters could meet. Tobacco, the very basis of tide-water civilization, was slowly driven from the Old Dominion except in those regions south of the James. By 1830 it is said that one-third of all those born in Virginia and Maryland were living in the newly opened Empire across the Alleghanie
In this essay there is no space for a review of the manners and customs of the class known as tidewater Virginians. Nor, indeed is it the habit of mind of the present writer to magnify the social achievements of that civilization. Wishful thinking on this subject is copious among many of their descendants today.
But it is necessary in this study to refer, however briefly, to the ancestry of Archibald Cary of Carysbrook, because that is the key to his character and in one sense, to his whole career. He was himself a keen and accurate genealogist and spent much time in building a family tree to take the place of records which had been destroyed by fire.
For a century and a half before Archibald was born, the Virginia Carys had lived on the banks of the father of Virginia waters, the River James. At one time they were said to have owned more than half the land of Warwick County, Virginia. From one generation to another, Cary men had filled important offices in the official and social life of tidewater. When, shortly before Archibald's birth, his father moved to Fluvanna, it was to an estate of seven thousand acres of land which had long been managed by overseers with a force of some two hundred slaves.
It was, however, in their libraries that these Cary men always felt most at home. Back of Archibald were five generations of scholars; his own father had been known in the Williamsburg society of the first decade of the century as the "young Chesterfield." Hardly an adequate training for the rude life of frontier Fluvanna !
Archibald's mother was the youngest daughter of Thomas Mann Randolph of Tuckahoe, and through her he was the great-grandson of Archibald Cary of Ampthill, the "Old Iron" of the revolution, after whom he was named. The ardent patriotism of "Old Iron" and his great services to the cause of the revolution have not received due appreciation throughout our country. This resulted, no doubt, from the fact that the whole of his career was devoted to, and was passed within the borders of, Virginia.


For a description of the parents of Archibald Cary and an account of their luckless struggle to cope with frontier life in Fluvanna we turn to a memoir written by their oldest daughter. Jane Blair Cary had been born in Williamsburg in 1808 and grew up at Carysbrook. She later met Edward Dunlap Smith when he was at the University of Virginia and married him when he was a Presbyterian Chaplain to Congress. Still later, he was pastor of a church in Greenwich Village, New York. As a small boy
the present writer was led with dragging foot-step to call upon this formidable old lady. The remembrance of that visit is unsympathetic. Her memoir from which we now quote was written shortly before the War Between the States.


Down to this generation, the Carys, from father to son, had always gone to William and Mary. But now the influence of Mr. Jefferson dominated the family circle. Young Archibald's father had been summoned from his books and persuaded by Mr. Jefferson to serve for two terms in the Virginia Assembly to further the plans for the new University.
By 1831, both Mr. Jefferson and Wilson Jefferson Cary were dead, but young Archibald's guardian for the past four years had been General John Hartwell Cocke, one of the fathers of the University.
The family circle of the Carys had already begun to dissolve through the inevitable process of marriage. In 1829, Archibald's sister, Mary Randolph Cary had married Dr. Orlando Fairfax of Alexandria. In 1831, the elder son, Wilson Miles Cary married Jane Margaret, daughter of Peter Carr of Albemarle and had settled down in Charlottesville to practice law. At about the same time the oldest daughter, Jane Blair Cary married the Reverend E. D. Smith.
Carysbrook was being sold. The widow Cary was thinking of going to Norfolk to open there a seminary for young ladies to whom she could continue to expound her strict rules for the behavior of the young.
September 10, 1831 was an important date for Archibald Cary. On that day he matriculated at the University of Virginia, aged sixteen.
The present writer, profiting by a pleasant winter spent in Charlottesville as a war refugee from Europe has been privileged to study the early records of the University.
When the University first opened, in 1825, Wilson Miles Cary, the elder brother of Archibald, was entered as a student. His career at the University lasted only until October second of that year, when he was expelled because of his part in a student riot. Since he had previously been expelled from William and Mary, probably for a similar reason, he was evidently a very spirited youngster. These
incidents caused great distress to his widowed mother at Carysbrook, and made, no doubt, a deep impression upon the boy Archibald.
The story of the student riots of the first year of the University of Virginia is preserved in the faculty minutes, but we do not find there an account of the picturesque intervention of Mr. Jefferson himself. His part in settling these disorders has come to the present writer from the eldest son of the Wilson Miles Cary who was expelled.
The University opened with a very youthful faculty selected by Mr. Jefferson himself and recruited very largely from abroad. The first class of students were a lively lot of boys, and resented having foreign professors. Moreover, in accordance with Mr. Jefferson's theories, there was no president of the University, but only a presiding chairman of the faculty, chosen from time to time. In these circumstances, there was very little effective discipline. In this favorable situation the students found an excellent opening for the pursuit of happiness. They did not have the wisdom to perceive that even with the greatest of phi- losophers, there might be a gap between theory and practice. When thestudents, in earnest pursuit of their happiness began to handle the professors roughly the aged Mr. Jefferson stepped firmly upon their exuberance.
Two days after the riot of October 1, 1825, the perpetrators, in spite of the efforts of the faculty, still remained unidentified. Mr. Jefferson mounted his horse, rode down from Monticello and summoned the student body to line up before him on the lawn. He then called upon the guilty ones to step one pace to the front. The first to stand forth was his own great grand-nephew, Wilson Miles Cary. The rest of the story may be found in the faculty minutes from October second to sixth, 182
"October 2nd: At a meeting of the Faculty, convened in consequence of a serious riot and disturbance which took place on the preceding evening. Present, the Chairman of the Faculty,Professors Long, Emmet, Bonnycastle, Blaetterman, Key and Secretary.
"It was resolved that an address be drawn to the Students expressive of the abhorrence of the Faculty at the outrages and requesting them to aid the Faculty in the discovery of the Perpetrators.
"It was also resolved that a Letter be addressed to the Visitors stating the unanimous determination of the Fac- ulty to resign unless an efficient Police were immediately established in the Universit
"October 3rd: At a meeting of the Faculty
"A paper was handed in signed by sixty-five students expressive of their determination not to act the part of Informers and of their indignation at the aspersion thrown upon them by the Faculty in expressing a belief that they were capable of such baseness. They denied the fact of any assault having been made upon any Professor and asserted that on the contrary two Professors had attacked one student and that he was justified in making resistance.
"The whole language of the response was highly objectionably [sic.] It was signed by Richard Anderson as Chairman, and by Messrs. Mason, Bowger, Lee, Saunders, Wilson Carey and Brockenbrough as Committe
"The paper having been read, it was resolved that as the Visitors are now in session, the meeting of the Faculty be adjourned until the Faculty shall be informed of their proceedings in the Business.

October 5th: At a meeting of the Faculty held this day
"Mr. Johnson with a deputation from the Board of Vis- itors gave in the following names which had been tendered the Board of Visitors on the preceding day as those of the Parties Concerned in the riot of the 1st of October. "Mr. Thomas Bolling (admonished); Mr. Wilson Miles
Carey (expelled); Mr. Robert A. Thompson (expelled); Mr. Arthur Smith (case dismissed); Mr. Richard Anderson (admonished); W. Edgar Mason admonished); Mr. Philip Bolling (admonished); Mr. Thomas Barclay (admonished); Mr. John George (admonished); Mr. Philip Slaughter (admonished); Mr. John S. Turner (admonished); Mr. Philip Clayton (expelled); Mr. William L. Eyre (expelled); Mr. John D. McGouder (admonished).
Then follow minutes of the evidence from which the fol-
lowing is taken:
"Mr. Carey's evidence:
Mr. Wilson Miles Carey was not intoxicated; made no noise; was laid hold of by Mr. Tucker but escaped and afterwards by Dr. Emmet, who tore a counterpane which witness had around him as
well as his shirt sleeve; was seized by two professors but not at the same time; heard the language regarding the European professors; did not use it himself; thinks he did aim a blow at Professor Emmet; cried a rescue; said in allusion to Professor Emmet: "the damned rascal has torn my shirt"; conceived he was assaulted and therefore acted as he did; had no intention when he left his Dormitory to make any disturbance; took up a brick expecting that Dr. Emmet would stand back and be intimidated; was not of the party who took up sticks; did not throw any brick or stick; does not recollect having
been asked his name by Dr. Emmet."
Upon reviewing this case, one must perforce agree that the sentence of the faculty was just. No explanation could well excuse this youngster in threatening his professor with a brick. Some sixty-eight years later, his great- nephew the present writer was nearly expelled from Yale in his freshman year upon the charge of inciting and participating in a student riot, but he had had the discretion to employ a snow-ball and not a brick !
The most interesting part of this story is the role played by Mr. Jefferson. Of course he was faced with the threat of the faculty to resign in a body if not given proper police protection. But was he not on record himself as favoring a little healthy uprising now and then. Had he not looked with an approving eye upon Shay's rebellion and the whiskey insurrection? It really does seem to make a difference whose ox is being gored.
Mr. Wilson Miles Cary thus left the University suddenly after only four months of attendance. He was nevertheless throughout a long life an accomplished classical scholar. He was a lawyer, and at one time editor of the Virginia Advocate, a paper loyal to the doctrines of Mr. Jefferson; He served as a democrat in the Maryland Senate from 1846 to 1852; and, together with his wife, he was the founder of the well-known Southern Home School of Baltimore. His two daughters, Miss Hetty Cary and Miss Jennie Cary were noted in the annals of the Confederacy.

We turn now to the University career of Wilson's younger brother Archibald, who matriculated on September 10, 1831, aged sixteen, and registered his elder brother, then a young lawyer in Charlottesville as his guardian. Though more sedate and prudent as a boy than Wilson, this
was a restless youngster. Just a year after his matriculation he wrote to General John Hartwell Cocke of Bremo, formerly his guardian, begging the General to get him into West Point. He does not wish to continue in a University course which would lead only to the practice of law or of medicine because he considers the conditions of those pro- fessions "stagnant.' He writes: "At one time my friends proposed to me to enter the Navy . . . and had it been practicable I am sure I would have done it.... I was then advised to endeavor to procure admission to West Point. . . . My intentions, should I be successful in my applica- tion, are to remain at West Point until I graduate, and after having "served the United States five years," to re- sign and obtain employment as an engineer. The subject
of Internal Improvement is daily becoming of more and more absorbing interest in our country, and there is little doubt that in five years a good engineer may find employment in any of the states...." He signs himself "your affectionately attached Archibald Cary." Nothing came of this ambitious project. Four years later we find him, no longer resisting, a student of law and still at the University of Virginia.
The official records show each step of young Archibald's progress as an undergraduate. The cost of a University education at that time appears in the Ledger from September 10,1832 to July 1833, during which period his tuition fees and other expenses amounted to $305.00. This was about the average in those days.
At first he attended the schools of ancient languages, of mathematics and of natural philosophy. On May 7, 1832 he petitioned the faculty for permission to leave the school of mathematics, which was granted. Right there, at the beginning of his college career, he made a mistake fatal to his ambitions, and which ultimately cost him the coveted degree of Master of Arts.
From its inception, the University of Virginia has stressed the need for mental discipline as part of an education. A diploma in mathematics is required for the degree of Master of Arts, and this may explain why so many students have left without that degree. Archibald Cary stood very high in the courses which he liked and received diplomas in the other schools he attended, but not in mathematics. How deeply this hurt his pride will be shown by a later entry in the minutes. This seems to have been the
first of a series of disappointments which dogged his steps throughout life, and, in this case at least, it was clearly his own fault. At the examinations on July 2, 1832 he was in the first division in both Greek and Latin and also in Grecian geography and history. In July 1834 he graduated in the whole school of ancient languages, in French language and literature and in the school of moral philosophy.
On November 28, 1834, Messrs. Cary and Magill tried to have the date of their examination in mathematics postponed, but Drs. Emmet and Warner stated that Mr. Cary had been a regular attendant at their lectures, and they could not change the law. March 7, 1835, Mr. A. Cary was permitted to withdraw from the school of anatomy and surgery. Two months later, Messrs. Coleman and Cary, being reported as inattentive in some of their classes, the faculty decided that they be reprimanded by the chairman and that a letter be written to Mr. Cary's guardian--who was none other than his older brother. On July 30, 1835 he passed his final examinations in the Class of Materia Medica and in the first and second schools of chemistry.
At this moment he would seem to stand on the threshold of success, but instead, the door was closed in his face. On that same day of July 30, 1835 the faculty minutes record: "Mr. Archibald Cary applied to the faculty for permission to receive his diploma in the school of chemistry privately, alledging as a reason the mortification he felt at having failed in obtaining the degree of Master of Arts." His application was denied. He had failed in mathematics.
One must sympathize with this proud and sensitive young man in his keen disappointment. Nevertheless this entry in the faculty minutes is very revealing as to his character. Pride and sensitiveness are two of the qualities for which we have been looking. He had inherited them from his tidewater ancestors.
The next year he was back at the University as a student of law, a course for which he paid $70 in fees to his instructors. His personal deportment throughout his student years shows to his advantage. During the whole five years at the University his patron entered but one demerit against
him on the ledger, which was because of his failure to return number 36 of the Quarterly Review, which he had lost.
Here follow notes concerning him taken from the Faculty Minutes:
"February 4, 1834. Messrs. A. Duke, H. B. Tomlin, J. M. Forbes, J. T. Hendree and A. Cary, boarders at A. Rose's Hotel were sent for and appeared before the Faculty." The testimony given by Mr. Cary was as follows: "he has boarded at all the hotels and Mr. Rose keeps the best house. He says the tablecloth is always clean and the servants attendance sufficient. The bread is good--they generally have rolls, but sometimes bisquits; and he has never known any delay about bringing the bread but once and that was whilst the weather was exceedingly cold. The coffee is too weak but the tea is very excellent. There is always sugar enough. The butter is generally very good. The bed-linen is regularly hanged once a fortnight and his counterpane has always been kept clean. His dormitory has been washed three times this session. His room is always cleaned immediately after breakfast. His fire is made early in the morning and water brought at that time to wash with."
This gives us a satisfactory picture of the comfort in which the students lived at this time. Such inquisition made at intervals by the faculty speaks well for the care they took of the young men entrusted to their charge.
"October 21, 1833 . . . Mr. Archibald Cary says he knows nothing of the affair except what he had heard from others. He does not think Mr.[Nedham H.] Washington was intoxicated at the party. He did not hear Mr. Washington utter indecent language. He was a considerable distance from him at the time. Nevertheless this Mr. Washington was dismisse
On March 24, 1835 a letter of protest was sent to the faculty by a committee of students, signed by Thomas T. Bouldin, Archibald Cary, Edw. C. Cabell, . W. Goode, Geo. W. Ransom and L. D. Cabaniss. This was a demand that the undergraduates be allowed to continue, as formerly, to select their own orators, but the faculty decided to prevent any orators or essayists elected by the students from appearing in the Rotund
In his Centennial History of the University of Virginia, Dr. P. A. Bruce tells of a protest against Professor Blaetterman who occupied the chair of modern languages in the first faculty. He writes: "Those occupying dormitories near his pavilion averred that while bending over their books, they were distracted by the ear-racking squeals of violins on which the boys in his house--one of them a youthful negro slave-- were always practicing. 'When I complained' reported Archibald Cary, 'they only played more loudly and frequently.' " Here was a young man evi- dently unfitted for living in mass-movements, and among "just folks
It is to be regretted that a more personal picture of young Mr. Cary does not emerge from these records of long ago. However, from what we already have read of him, we can now dimly see the figure of the man.
The present writer, when younger, tried upon several occasions to get personal impressions of the two grand- fathers whom he never knew from their surviving friends or relatives. In this, he found singularly little satisfaction. The memory of the very old is an unreliable source of information except upon oft-told stories of past events. The most beloved and gracious member of the family circle,known to the third generation as "Aunt Cary" was once, in her nineties asked by the present writer to describe his grandfather Harrison as she had seen him delivering an address in 1827 before the Literary and Philosophical Society of Hampden-Sidney College. The sweet old lady considered the
question for some time and then exclaimed: "Now! I remember so well--I wore a blue sash that day."
Rather more success attended another enquiry. The oldest member of the Metropolitan Club in Washington was asked what he could tell of Archibald Cary, whom he had known in Maryland. His face lit up, and he replied: "He was the best high jumper I ever saw--he could jump over any fence in the county."
Another personal touch was gained from an old photo- graph of grandfather Cary found in a drawer of the writing-desk at Morrisania. He was leaning most incautiously upon the muzzle ofhis
fowling-piece. This gesture would have made him an unwelcome guest in a conventional
shooting party in England, and indeed it provoked in two of his grandsons a certain uneasiness as to his character. No surprise was felt by them upon learning that he had lost the upper joint of his thumb in a shooting accident!

woman Hetty Cary‏‎
woman Jennie Cary‏‎
woman Jane Blair Cary‏
Born ‎ 1808 at Fluvanna, CO, USA, died ‎ 1888 at VA, USA‎, 79 or 80 years
woman Mary Randolph Cary‏
Born ‎ 1811 at Fluvanna, CO, USA, died ‎ 1887 at Richmond, Henrico, VA, USA‎, 75 or 76 years
woman Martha Jefferson Cary‏‎
Born ‎ 1820 at Fluvanna, CO, USA, died ‎ 1873 at Morrisiana, Westchester, NY, USA‎, 52 or 53 years
man Wilson Miles Cary‏‎
Born ‎ Sep 2, 1806 at Albemarle, VA, USA, died ‎ Jan 9, 1877 at Baltimore‎, 70 years
woman Louisa Hartwell Cary‏‎
Born ‎ 1823 at Williamsburg, York, VA, USA, died ‎ 1823 at VA, USA‎, under 1 year old
woman Sarah Newsum Cary‏‎
Born ‎ 1822 at Fluvanna, CO, USA, died ‎ 1823 at Fluvanna, CO, USA‎, 0 or 1 years
woman Ellen Randolph Cary‏‎
Born ‎ 1817 at Fluvanna, CO, USA, died ‎ 1901 at VA, USA‎, 83 or 84 years
woman Anne Mantia Cary‏‎
Born ‎ 1813 at Fluvanna, CO, USA, died ‎ 1822 at VA, USA‎, 8 or 9 years