woman Maria Iano‏‎, daughter of Pietro Iano and Maria Maddalena Baudino‏.
Nickname: Marie, born ‎ Aug 15, 1870 at Montalenghe, Torino, Italia, died ‎ Mar 20, 1925 at Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah‎, 54 years, buried ‎ Mar 22, 1925 at Milford, Beaver, Utah
For years I have had trouble with the spelling of Maria's last name; was it Yano or Jano. Then while translating records I found two that had the same funny looking "Y" letter and was able to figure out that it was an "I" vice a "Y", which is not in the Italian alphabet, or a "J". See records for Isidoro Castantino Euegenio Berta-28849 and the marriage record for Giovanni Battista Guglielmino and Francesca Berta-31748. Francesca's grandfather's name looks like Ygnazio - with the fancy "Y"/"J", but the correct spelling is Ignazio. Based on these two records I now feel that the correct spelling is Iano.

Records at The American Family Immigration History Center, Ellis Island, http://ellisislandrecords.org/ has the following information: Name: Baudino, Maria, Data of Arrival: 19 Mar 1894, Age on Arrival: 23y, Gender: F, Marital Status: U, Ship of Travel: La Bretagne, Port of Departure: Le Havre, Seine-Inferior, France.

Email from Marjorie Oughton Green
What a neat find!
The history of the way letters have changed over the years is truly amazing. I used to know many of these things but have forgotten most of it. I do remember part of the "Y" explanation. Forgive me if I sound like a primary grade teacher giving a penmanship lesson. That's because, before I retired, I was a primary grade teacher and did teach penmanship. The end of handwritten capital letter "I" where it goes over to the left above the line and comes back used to come "below the line" making it look like the modern handwritten letter "J" without the closing up the "tail" for a loop. One of the reasons I remember this is because Calvin Ichabod Foss' name sometimes is/was incorrectly transcribed as Calvin J. Foss. "J" was invented to distinguish between the hard "g" sound and the soft "g" sound. We still see evidence of that when we go to Salem, MA and visit to witches dungeons. There "jail" is spelled "gaol".
This same phenomena may apply to the Jano - Yano thing as long as it applies in the United States. However, different languages have their own idiosyncrasies. The "Y" in often had/has a short "I" sound or even a long "I" sound. Put all that together with the fact that standardized spelling was not even invented until after the printing press came into being, and it didn't "catch on" with the populous until many, many years later. People spelled by sound and if they didn't even pronounce a word correctly or had a specific accent the spelling would vary from the "norm", sometimes a lot.
Other bits and pieces I remember are the letter "V" is what we now call a "U". Hence, Lvcretia = Lucretia.
That is also why "W" is called double "U". Because way back when, it was a double "V".
Double "F" was the hard "F" sound of which we still have the residual spellings of "of" and "off". However, most double letters were actually a single letter preceded by letter that looked like an "f" so that Foss was usually spelled Fofs.
My all time favorite is "sd" = said.
Well I guess you couldn't have made it through the day without this dissertation. As my grandchildren would reply in today's modern language "NOT".
Anyway, good researching!

Married/ Related to:

man Martino Baudino‏‎, son of Giacomo Baudino and Catterina Meinardi‏.
Nickname: Martin, born ‎ May 5, 1867 at Montalenghe, Torino, Italia, baptized ‎ May 6, 1867 at Montalenghe, Torino, Italia, died ‎ Jun 21, 1938 at Milford, Beaver, Utah‎, 71 years, buried ‎ Jun 26, 1938 at Milford, Beaver, Utah
Data of bith on headstone is wrong. Headstone has it a 7 May 1867, while microfilm has it as 5 May 1867.

Martin Baudino
By Katherin Cooksley
My father Martin Baudino was born on the 5th of May 1867, in Montalenghe, Italy. His father's name was James Baudino, he was born on the 7th of June 1826, and his mother's name was Catterina Meinardi, she was born on the 25th of February 1839, in Montalenghe. His mother and father were married in Montalenghe on the 11th of February 1865. His grandfather on his father's side was Peter Baudino, and his grandmother was Mary Grosso. They were also born in Montalenghe. After his mother died on the 24th of August 1867, his father left Montalenghe and my father was cared for by his grandparents, when he was very young he drove the cows to pasture and home again until her left Italy to come to America. My father was only 17 years old at this time, about the year 1884. His grandparent s on his mother's side were Martin Meinardi and Domenica Zanotto. They were also born in Montalenghe. No one ever knew where his father went or any thing about him.
Dan, my brother, said he thinks our father came first to the U. S. on a ship. No one ever knew where my grandfather went after his wife died. He went up through France and then to London, England and sailed from there on one of the U. S. ships that was bringing immigrants to America to help populate the U.
S. and the work in the mines in Pennsylvania, and then went to Montana to work in the timber and saved enough money to go back to Italy. He stayed in Italy for a while. He took out his first citizen papers before he left for Italy, and took out his second citizenship papers when he came back to the U. S. The date was the 26th of October 1896, on the last papers. He married my mother who was his cousin and brought her back with him. First, they came to New York, Pennsylvania, Seadville, Colorado, and Montana. They lost their first daughter in Montana. I was born in Anaconda, Montana, on the 31st of January 1896, and my brother Jim was born in Meaderville, Montana, on the 27th of September 1897. My mother's father, whose name was Pietro Jano, came to America in 1882. Black Hills, Mead South Dakota was killed in an accidental cave in while at work. My father told Bessie that at one time he even went down to Texas. I guess he must have traveled a lot.
When they left Montana, they came to a cousin's house in Salt Lake City. My father was looking for work, he worked for awhile at Mercury, Utah, and than moved to Eureka, Utah. My father worked in the coal mine here and my mother kept boarders. I kept begging to go to school, so finally they let me go to the Catholic school, my parents were both Catholics. I remember one Christmas we had a play. I was about four or five years old. Me and another girl had long white robes with gold stars on them, and we had wings and stood on top of the piano. Than we moved to Scofield, Utah. My father also worked in the mine here. We first lived at winter quarters, and while we were at winter quarters we lived near the mine. One day my father went to work but got right up to the mine, turned around and come home. That day they had a terrible explosion, and a lot of men were killed. The explosion happened on May 1900. Then we moved down town. There is a large creek that runs down the center of town. One night it was raining hard and all were warned that there might be a flood, so everyone was up and dressed, ready to leave. But the creek did not over flow the banks.
When the big strike was on at the mine, we did not have any money. My father, brother Jim and I use to go down to the fields to pick mushrooms. We sold them to the hotel and brought food with the money.
One time while out gathering mushrooms, there was some Indians on a hill above. The Indians were doing a war dance, and each had a tomahawk in their hand. A man that had a cabin nearby told us to come and stay with him for a while until the Indians settled down.
I do not know why, but we had to move from the house were we had been living. We moved into a vacant store building. We were not there very long before my brother Dan was born on the 17th of November 1904. There was no doctor, but two Mormon women came and took care of my mother. They came several times and as it was getting cold a Mormon woman offered us two of the rooms in her house for us to stay.
In the mean time, Henderson, a man who had a store offered to send my father to Newhouse, Utah, to work some mining claims for him. So my father left and we moved into these rooms.
My mother always said that Dan should join the Mormon Church because they had always been so good to us, but he never did.
As soon as my father got some money, he sent for us. We lived three miles from Newhouse in a large tent. When my father finished his work there we moved to town. In the mean time my father got sick and had to stay in bed.
My mother asked Jim and I if we could go over the big mountains to the company store to get him some medicine. I do not remember what we got. But going over the hill, we ran into a rattlesnake. We both were so frightened that we came back a different way. Some one sure must have been taking good care of us.
When we moved to town we rented a tent after a while, my father built a big room, and placed a tent over it for the roof and part of the sides, and built a smaller room that we use as a kitchen. My father worked in the copper mine at this time. There was some lumber planks at the mine that had been used to ship some machinery to the mine. My father asked for it and the men brought it down on the train and threw it off near our place. My father built a room with them and we moved into it as our kitchen and living room. My father kept adding to the house until we had seven rooms.
Then my father got sick working in the mine and had to quit. So my mother took in boarders and my father built a larger oven out of brick and backed bread. He had quit a large bakery business, and a small sore. Dan found a ledger out at the homestead with some of the names of people who bought from him on credit. It is all down in the ledger. Dan gave me the ledger.
He would bake his bread early in the morning, then load up his wagon and deliver bread at Newhouse and Frisco. He did this for quit a while. Then work began to lesson some and not much use for so much bread.
So my father and some other of the men decided to go to Nevada to look for work. On the way there, they stopped to water the horses at the spring up in the mountains. My father decided that this was a good place to homestead. So that is just what he did. First, he fixed a tent to live in. Then he built two log cabins.
Then he got some lumber and built a large three-room house, he even piped the water from the spring to it. He planted potatoes, some vegetables, but never id much good. So when Newhouse closed down their mine, they ran the old tailings dump through to save what copper they could. My father went to work for them after they finished this work. Newhouse closed down for good.
So my father went back to the homestead and tried to dig a tunnel and a cave in happen, and his leg was pinned in with a rock. He laid there for some time, his leg was crushed. When they found him, they took him to the hospital in Milford. He was there for some time and finally they took his leg off. He had to sell the homestead to pay for his doctor and hospital. This was August 1925.
After he got out of the hospital, he lived with my brother Dan, and then Jim. Then he got himself a small cabin near the track in Milford. He used to walk up town everyday, until he passed away on the 17th of June 1938, in Milford, Utah.
My mother passed away on the 20th of March 1925, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
She had cancer.
Both my father and mother are buried in the Milford cemetery.
My father also fixed a bathroom in the first log cabin and piped water to it.
Before my father got the homestead. He fixed a place in our yard where he and some of the men played Bocce, an Italian game somewhat like bowling.
My father was always a great believer in Unions. He worked for them all the time.
My father also had a mushroom shack in Milford were he grew mushrooms for a while.

To see a map and get weather information on Montalenghe, you can go to http://www.calle.com/info.cgi?lat=45.3333&long=7.8333&name=Montalenghe&cty=Italy&alt=1026 on the internet.

Directions to get to Great-grandpa's old homestead.

From Grandpa's house, 17S 300W, take Utah State Highway 21 to the West. At mile marker 58 stop, look to the right, follow the top of the tall mountain down. You will see what looks like a small patch of snow. That is a hole through the mountain, Needles Eye. About 24.3 miles out of Milford make a left on to a dirt road. Go 3.8 miles, the road will Y, take the road to the left. Go another 7.2 miles, at the intersection of two dirt roads, make a right. One mile up is the Baudino homestead.

The Geographic Reference Library, American Genealogical Gazetteer, State Listings, Utah has a listing for: Baudino Ranch, Site County: Beaver State: UT

Records at The American Family Immigration History Center, Ellis Island, http://ellisislandrecords.org/ has the following information: Date of Arrival: 19 Mar 1894, Age on Arrival: 27y, Gender: M, Marital Status: U, Ship of Travel: La Bretagne, Port of Departure: Le Havre, Seine-Inferior, France. The La Bretagne (which translates to Brittany) was owned by Compagnie Generale Transatlantique, and was in commission from 1886 to 1912.

Information entered on the Records at The American Family Immigration History Center, Ellis Island, http://ellisislandrecords.org/ for Martino and Maria (lines 363/364) (see picture): Data of Arrival: 19 Mar 1894; Age on Arrival: 27y and 23y; Gender: M, F; Occupation: Laborer; Native Country: Italy; Intended Destination: New York; In Transit: (can not read); Location of Compartment or Space Occupied: (think this means that they slept in bunks) 214, 215; Number of Pieces of baggage: 2; Port of Embarkation: Le Havre (France).

The "La Bretagne" was built in 1885 by CGT, St Nazaire for Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line). She was a 7112 gross ton vessel, length 495.4ft x beam 51.8ft, two funnels, four masts, single screw and a speed of 17 knots. Accommodation for 390-1st, 65-2nd, and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 9/9/1885 she sailed from Havre on her maiden voyage to New York on 14/8/1886. In 1895 she was rebuilt with quadruple expansion engines, two masts and 3rd class accommodation increased to 1,500. On 8/6/1912 she left Havre on her last voyage to New York and then went to the French company, Cie Sud Atlantique. In 1919 she was renamed "Alesia" and in December 1923 she was sold for scrap in Holland, but broke her tow near Texel island and ran aground to become a total loss.


woman Baudino‏‎
Born ‎ 1895 at ,, Pennsylvania‎
woman Katherine Jenny Baudino‏
Born ‎ Jan 31, 1896 at Anaconda, Deer Lodge, Montana, died ‎ Aug 16, 1982 at Sacramento, Sacramento, California‎, 86 years, buried ‎ Aug 20, 1982 at East Lawn Cemetery, Sacramento, Sacramento, California
man James George Baudino‏
Born ‎ Sep 27, 1897 at Meaderville, Jefferson, Montana, died ‎ Jan 22, 1951 at Milford, Beaver, Utah‎, 53 years, buried ‎ Jan 26, 1951 at Mount Olivet Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
On the family record sheet for Martin Baudino, the baptizmal records for James George Baudino has a date of 12 Nov 1950. On the family record for James George Baudino it has a baptizmal date of 2 Nov 1950.

Second AFN number - AFN: 3THT-JK

BURIAL: Cemetery: Mount Olivet Cemetery, Source: Sexton Records / Grant, Grave Location: S_285_9.
man Peter Tony Baudino‏‎
Born ‎ Jul 30, 1902 at Scofield, Carbon, Utah, died ‎ May 13, 1918 at Frisco, Beaver, Utah‎, 15 years, buried ‎ at Frisco, Beaver, Utah
man Dan Martin Baudino‏
Born ‎ Nov 17, 1904 at Scofield, Carbon, Utah, died ‎ Oct 18, 1990 at Milford, Beaver, Utah‎, 85 years, buried ‎ at Milford, Beaver, Utah
A little part of my history Dan Martin Baudino, I was born in Scofield, Carbon County, Utah, November 17, 1904 and I moved to New House when I was 6mo old and dad worked in the mine for a while and them got sick so he built a Dutch Oven out there and went into the bakery business. Mother made the pastry for him and what little education I got, I got in New House and 1 year in Frisco and I only went to sixth grade and I always thought that I was a big rodeo man and cow puncher, my younger years I was around the cattle and I and another kind by the name of West Joe Hanson we use to turn the calves of the milk cows out into the big corral and use to ride them, until they caught up with us and would raise hell and make us quit. Dad baked bread and peddled bread around the mines, he had a old black horse and buggy, he went up to Black Bird, there was a boarding house up there and Harrecksons there was a boarding house and at the Indian Queen, then through the week he would go to Frisco and I was too young yet to go to school and I use to go with him all over up, their. Then the mines were closing down around, he quit the bakery business and he was going to go out to the Old Revenue mine in Pine Valley and work, they had team and wagons then and he went up and through this canyon and there was this nice stream of water over the summit and the Revenue and he seen this steam of water came back and Homesteaded and I was still a snot nose kid. Any way that is where he Homesteaded and I put a good many years out there and what little I went to school at New House and out there in the summer. Anyway I use to go with dad and he would cut them old cedar trees and he would build him a cabin out their and I would stay with him out there and we would stay a couple of days then go back to New House.
I have one sister she was the oldest her name was Kate and she married a man by the name of Walt Cooksley he was a mill man. I had 2 brothers one named Jimmy he was the oldest brother and he worked in the mines and then he went to Cedar working for the Dixie power comp. they had a big diesel plant down there at Cedar. They gave him a job around that and he lived over there for a long time then he moved back to Milford and bought a shoe shop. He died quite young with cancer and was married three times. The brother that was just older then I, he was interested in the farm at the home stead we would go quite a bit and work out there. He was a boy that they couldn't keep down in School, you use to graduate from public schools at 8th grade there was no high schools then and he went through 8th grade in six years. Then he took sick, and I don't know but we have afterwards with all the sickness we seen through the family I believe he died of appendicitis and they didn't know what it was then. We buried him in old Frisco then I went though life and the first mine I went into was when I was 16 in Marysville, Utah . I worked up there for a couple of months and they had a boarding and bunk house and I never did get any money out of it the company went broke. I came back to the old home stead then by mother took sick, she died of cancer in 1925, We took her to Salt Lake and she was operated on and I don't know if she died from the cancer operation or aerophagia.
Then I lived with dad and Jim, we basked quite a bit together, dad got a bug and started prospecting at the old home stead and he had a drift going (a drift is a old tunnel) any way he had a bump at the floor of the tunnel and was sitting down drilling that single jack to blast it and a rock fell on his right leg. My brother Jim and I thought that he was to long in coming from the prospect so we rode out to see, and we found him under a pine tree so we rode back to Milford to get a cot and carried him of the hill and brought him back to Milford, I don't know what year but it was years before he died but after mother died. He had to have his leg amputated. It wouldn't knit and so he only had one leg and his wooden leg. Dad lived with Pearl and I for several years off and on.
I was invited, I and some other guys out to Jim Thompsons, it was out in the valley and they were having a party and I met Pearl Bentley and Frank Thompson met Glenna Low and he married Glenna within 3 months after he met her, but Pearl and I weren't married for several years after I met her. I was drinking quite a bit and it I was drunk she wouldn't come with me and I wouldn't drink we would go t the dances and up to Hanging rock and chase around. Pearl was kicked from pillar to post, to sister, to brother, from sister, from brother, after she left school, she left school on account of sickness the doctor pulled her out of school that is when she lived with grandma West for years, then one sister would want her, then one brother to keep house and she only received a 6th grade education.
Two to three years went by and then I married her, we had six children, Donna Marie, Dorothy Darlene, Donald Weston, Raeldon Martin, Karen Sue, Kay Louise, and Kay Louise died when she was 4yrs old. The rest of the children are all alive and are all around me.
This part of history came from the video that Debra Riddle made of her Grandfather.
Something's Uncle Raeldon told me is when living at the Baudino ranch, when first homesteaded that that they built pit houses, where they dug into a side of a mountain. Grandpa never said why he only went through 6th grade but rumor has it he got kicked out for saying a bad word. What was the word? RUBBER! and he never went back.
He also never told the story of being a boot leggier with brother Jim, they grew grain at the ranch then made the brew. Uncle Jim was arrested in Richfield. For boot legging.
Mom says that grandpa was arrested for stealing chickens, which he didn't steal but wouldn't tell who did so he was arrested.
woman Baudino‏‎
Born ‎ 1906 at Newhouse, Beaver, Utah, died ‎ 1906 at Newhouse, Beaver, Utah‎, under 1 year old, buried ‎ 1906 at Newhouse, Beaver, Utah