Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Computer Arcana » Commodore » Commodore 8-bit » Vintage Computer Festival West - Aug. 6-7, 2022
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Vintage Computer Festival West - Aug. 6-7, 2022 [message #415830] Mon, 01 August 2022 05:56 Go to next message
RobertB is currently offline  RobertB
Messages: 4783
Registered: December 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
The Vintage Computer Festival West is almost here! VCF West will be Aug. 6-7 at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California. See

https://vcfed.org/events/vintage-computer-festival-west/

Here is a list of the presentations. Note the Commodore presentations!

1. Ben Zotto – Sphere 1: The First Modern Microcomputer
2. Bobby Livingston/Corey Cohen – Vintage Technology: Search, Identify, Authenticate
3. Berger Becky – DOOM 3DO: Or how I survived hell
4. Johan Grip – 128Neo
5. Byron Stout – Developing 8-bit Commodore programs using a modern IDE.
6. Bruno Marchon – Iconography of Early Apple Logos
7. Mike McGann – Adventures in Emulation (Commodore)
8. Leonard Tramiel – In Search Of … the original Wooden PET
9. Logan Greer – My Journey in Electronics
10. Lee Felsenstein – The Pennywhistle
11. John Floren – Reproduction Depraz mouse

Below is the description of the C= presentations:

Saturday

1:00 pm – Developing 8-bit Commodore programs using a modern IDE – Byron Stout

While you can still program directly on the original hardware, it sure is nice to have the conveniences of a software development environment running on a modern PC. Let’s use CBM PRG Studio to write BASIC and ML programs for our favorite 8-bit Commodore machines.

5:00 pm – In Search Of … The original wooden PET – Leonard Tramiel

The twisted story of the long and, ultimately, fruitful search for the original Wooden Pet.

Sunday

2:00 pm 128Neo (Virtual – live) – Johan Grip

Johan Grip will talk about the Commodore 128 and the story of how repairing the first computer he owned went a bit astray. Topics covered by the talk includes PCB reverse engineering, silicon reverse engineering, tools and techniques and other things learned during the process.

3:30 pm – Adventures in Emulation – Mike McGann

Do you enjoy using emulators to tinker around with computers of the past? Have you ever wondered what it would take to develop an emulator yourself? In this talk, Mike McGann will detail his adventures taken, from start to finish, in building a rudimentary Commodore 64 (6502) and Pac-Man (Z80) emulator. Topics will include memory layout, CPU instructions, text-based graphics, basic sound, and plenty of implementation bloopers. A demonstration and Q&A session will follow the talk. No quarters required.

Here is a list of the record number of exhibits. Note the C=/Amiga exhibits!

Exhibit ID
Exhibit title
Name (first/last)

1
Acorn Computers and Teletext
David Glover-Aoki

2
Video-Sprite with TMS9918A card for Apple II & TM990/189 University Board
Jerome Calvo

3
2000s Apple computer
Jordan Q Hayes

4
The Compact Macintosh Garden
Steve Brunwasser

5
Acorn Econet
Steve Crozier

6
Silicon Graphics Presenter Presentation
Nicholas Bustamante

7
ReA4091 - Back to the SCSI
Stefan Reinauer

8
s100 bus and ieee 696 computers
Jay Cotton

9
Core Memory Interactive Core64
Andy Geppert

10
Early Apple Computer Iconography
Bruno Marchon

11
Vintage Circuit Board Recapping & Repair
Arion Paylo

12
VME Unix Systems
Rico Pajarola

13
Sun Diskless Workstations
Zachary Hardesty

14
From Kodak to Steve: The Journey of Digital Photography and Macintosh Clones of the 90s
Chris Satterfield

15
Prodigy Reloaded
Phillip Heller

16
BackBit simplifies retro computing!
Evie Salomon

17
Just A Collection Of Computers
adrian chadd

18
The Motorola 6809 MIcroprocessor: Let's TACOBOTt It
Steve Toner

19
Motorola 6800 Exorciser Development kits
Stanley Ruppert

20
British 1978 - 8080 Triton Home Computer Project rebuild : Original & Recreation
Ian Lockhart

21
CoCoVGA - Adapting 68xx Systems to VGA Displays
Brendan Donahe

22
Commodore PET progression 1977-1986
Charles Hutchins

23
Commodore 8-bit/Amiga computer exhibit
Robert Bernardo

24
Commodore 64 - 40 Years anniversary of the greatest home computer ever made
Joeri van Haren

25
Relay based Computers, the Sound of Computation
Francis Bauer

26
C64i - Commodore 64 improved
Francis Bernier

27
60 Years of DEC Linc
Ryan Schiff

28
Tele-Typin' Zone
Dustin Williams

29
"THAT" - THE ANALOG THING
Lyle Bickley

30
Heathkit H8/H9 Estate Sale Find and Resurrection
Cole Erskine

31
Tektronix 4054A Graphics Computer
Monty McGraw

32
Apple ll Rev. 7 & Apple-1 Replica
Logan Greer

33
Sun2, Sun3, 10BASE5 and 10BASE2 hardware
Robert Harker

34
IBM or Apple--Why Not Both?
Eric Schlaepfer

35
Apple & Early Computing
Jon Siefken

36
ROMulator and PETpix - new gadgets for old computers
Michael Hill

37
Radio Shack Micros and Cousins
David Henderson

38
Rare Computers From Japan
Duncan Mac Dougall

39
A Depraz Mouse Reproduction
John Floren

40
Multiprocessor Workstations From The 1980s
Steve Jones

41
The First Apple 1
Liza Loop

42
Overkil Classic Macs!
Ryan Gehret

43
Pen Based Computing
Tom Conrad

44
QWERTZ: German Computing
Erik Johnson

45
CA80 the first Polish trainer computer kit of the 80s
Kris Sekula

FOPAL
Friends of the Palo Alto Library (FOPAL)
David Cortesi

See you at VCF West!
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group – http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network – http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
Re: Vintage Computer Festival West - Aug. 6-7, 2022 [message #415841 is a reply to message #415830] Mon, 01 August 2022 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: KP KP

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 2:56:22 AM UTC-7, Robert Bernardo wrote:
> The Vintage Computer Festival West is almost here! VCF West will be Aug. 6-7 at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California. See
>
> https://vcfed.org/events/vintage-computer-festival-west/
>
> Here is a list of the presentations. Note the Commodore presentations!
>
> 1. Ben Zotto – Sphere 1: The First Modern Microcomputer
> 2. Bobby Livingston/Corey Cohen – Vintage Technology: Search, Identify, Authenticate
> 3. Berger Becky – DOOM 3DO: Or how I survived hell
> 4. Johan Grip – 128Neo
> 5. Byron Stout – Developing 8-bit Commodore programs using a modern IDE.
> 6. Bruno Marchon – Iconography of Early Apple Logos
> 7. Mike McGann – Adventures in Emulation (Commodore)
> 8. Leonard Tramiel – In Search Of … the original Wooden PET
> 9. Logan Greer – My Journey in Electronics
> 10. Lee Felsenstein – The Pennywhistle
> 11. John Floren – Reproduction Depraz mouse
>
> Below is the description of the C= presentations:
>
> Saturday
>
> 1:00 pm – Developing 8-bit Commodore programs using a modern IDE – Byron Stout
>
> While you can still program directly on the original hardware, it sure is nice to have the conveniences of a software development environment running on a modern PC. Let’s use CBM PRG Studio to write BASIC and ML programs for our favorite 8-bit Commodore machines.
>
> 5:00 pm – In Search Of … The original wooden PET – Leonard Tramiel
>
> The twisted story of the long and, ultimately, fruitful search for the original Wooden Pet.
>
> Sunday
>
> 2:00 pm 128Neo (Virtual – live) – Johan Grip
>
> Johan Grip will talk about the Commodore 128 and the story of how repairing the first computer he owned went a bit astray. Topics covered by the talk includes PCB reverse engineering, silicon reverse engineering, tools and techniques and other things learned during the process.
>
> 3:30 pm – Adventures in Emulation – Mike McGann
>
> Do you enjoy using emulators to tinker around with computers of the past? Have you ever wondered what it would take to develop an emulator yourself? In this talk, Mike McGann will detail his adventures taken, from start to finish, in building a rudimentary Commodore 64 (6502) and Pac-Man (Z80) emulator. Topics will include memory layout, CPU instructions, text-based graphics, basic sound, and plenty of implementation bloopers. A demonstration and Q&A session will follow the talk. No quarters required.
>
> Here is a list of the record number of exhibits. Note the C=/Amiga exhibits!
>
> Exhibit ID
> Exhibit title
> Name (first/last)
>
> 1
> Acorn Computers and Teletext
> David Glover-Aoki
>
> 2
> Video-Sprite with TMS9918A card for Apple II & TM990/189 University Board
> Jerome Calvo
>
> 3
> 2000s Apple computer
> Jordan Q Hayes
>
> 4
> The Compact Macintosh Garden
> Steve Brunwasser
>
> 5
> Acorn Econet
> Steve Crozier
>
> 6
> Silicon Graphics Presenter Presentation
> Nicholas Bustamante
>
> 7
> ReA4091 - Back to the SCSI
> Stefan Reinauer
>
> 8
> s100 bus and ieee 696 computers
> Jay Cotton
>
> 9
> Core Memory Interactive Core64
> Andy Geppert
>
> 10
> Early Apple Computer Iconography
> Bruno Marchon
>
> 11
> Vintage Circuit Board Recapping & Repair
> Arion Paylo
>
> 12
> VME Unix Systems
> Rico Pajarola
>
> 13
> Sun Diskless Workstations
> Zachary Hardesty
>
> 14
> From Kodak to Steve: The Journey of Digital Photography and Macintosh Clones of the 90s
> Chris Satterfield
>
> 15
> Prodigy Reloaded
> Phillip Heller
>
> 16
> BackBit simplifies retro computing!
> Evie Salomon
>
> 17
> Just A Collection Of Computers
> adrian chadd
>
> 18
> The Motorola 6809 MIcroprocessor: Let's TACOBOTt It
> Steve Toner
>
> 19
> Motorola 6800 Exorciser Development kits
> Stanley Ruppert
>
> 20
> British 1978 - 8080 Triton Home Computer Project rebuild : Original & Recreation
> Ian Lockhart
>
> 21
> CoCoVGA - Adapting 68xx Systems to VGA Displays
> Brendan Donahe
>
> 22
> Commodore PET progression 1977-1986
> Charles Hutchins
>
> 23
> Commodore 8-bit/Amiga computer exhibit
> Robert Bernardo
>
> 24
> Commodore 64 - 40 Years anniversary of the greatest home computer ever made
> Joeri van Haren
>
> 25
> Relay based Computers, the Sound of Computation
> Francis Bauer
>
> 26
> C64i - Commodore 64 improved
> Francis Bernier
>
> 27
> 60 Years of DEC Linc
> Ryan Schiff
>
> 28
> Tele-Typin' Zone
> Dustin Williams
>
> 29
> "THAT" - THE ANALOG THING
> Lyle Bickley
>
> 30
> Heathkit H8/H9 Estate Sale Find and Resurrection
> Cole Erskine
>
> 31
> Tektronix 4054A Graphics Computer
> Monty McGraw
>
> 32
> Apple ll Rev. 7 & Apple-1 Replica
> Logan Greer
>
> 33
> Sun2, Sun3, 10BASE5 and 10BASE2 hardware
> Robert Harker
>
> 34
> IBM or Apple--Why Not Both?
> Eric Schlaepfer
>
> 35
> Apple & Early Computing
> Jon Siefken
>
> 36
> ROMulator and PETpix - new gadgets for old computers
> Michael Hill
>
> 37
> Radio Shack Micros and Cousins
> David Henderson
>
> 38
> Rare Computers From Japan
> Duncan Mac Dougall
>
> 39
> A Depraz Mouse Reproduction
> John Floren
>
> 40
> Multiprocessor Workstations From The 1980s
> Steve Jones
>
> 41
> The First Apple 1
> Liza Loop
>
> 42
> Overkil Classic Macs!
> Ryan Gehret
>
> 43
> Pen Based Computing
> Tom Conrad
>
> 44
> QWERTZ: German Computing
> Erik Johnson
>
> 45
> CA80 the first Polish trainer computer kit of the 80s
> Kris Sekula
>
> FOPAL
> Friends of the Palo Alto Library (FOPAL)
> David Cortesi
>
> See you at VCF West!
> Robert Bernardo
> Fresno Commodore User Group – http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
> Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network – http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

Will this event be streamed on the YouTube channel?
Re: Vintage Computer Festival West - Aug. 6-7, 2022 [message #415842 is a reply to message #415830] Mon, 01 August 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: KP KP

Will this be streaming on the YouTube channel? Can't wait to watch this.

Ken


On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 2:56:22 AM UTC-7, Robert Bernardo wrote:
> The Vintage Computer Festival West is almost here! VCF West will be Aug. 6-7 at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California. See
>
> https://vcfed.org/events/vintage-computer-festival-west/
>
> Here is a list of the presentations. Note the Commodore presentations!
>
> 1. Ben Zotto – Sphere 1: The First Modern Microcomputer
> 2. Bobby Livingston/Corey Cohen – Vintage Technology: Search, Identify, Authenticate
> 3. Berger Becky – DOOM 3DO: Or how I survived hell
> 4. Johan Grip – 128Neo
> 5. Byron Stout – Developing 8-bit Commodore programs using a modern IDE.
> 6. Bruno Marchon – Iconography of Early Apple Logos
> 7. Mike McGann – Adventures in Emulation (Commodore)
> 8. Leonard Tramiel – In Search Of … the original Wooden PET
> 9. Logan Greer – My Journey in Electronics
> 10. Lee Felsenstein – The Pennywhistle
> 11. John Floren – Reproduction Depraz mouse
>
> Below is the description of the C= presentations:
>
> Saturday
>
> 1:00 pm – Developing 8-bit Commodore programs using a modern IDE – Byron Stout
>
> While you can still program directly on the original hardware, it sure is nice to have the conveniences of a software development environment running on a modern PC. Let’s use CBM PRG Studio to write BASIC and ML programs for our favorite 8-bit Commodore machines.
>
> 5:00 pm – In Search Of … The original wooden PET – Leonard Tramiel
>
> The twisted story of the long and, ultimately, fruitful search for the original Wooden Pet.
>
> Sunday
>
> 2:00 pm 128Neo (Virtual – live) – Johan Grip
>
> Johan Grip will talk about the Commodore 128 and the story of how repairing the first computer he owned went a bit astray. Topics covered by the talk includes PCB reverse engineering, silicon reverse engineering, tools and techniques and other things learned during the process.
>
> 3:30 pm – Adventures in Emulation – Mike McGann
>
> Do you enjoy using emulators to tinker around with computers of the past? Have you ever wondered what it would take to develop an emulator yourself? In this talk, Mike McGann will detail his adventures taken, from start to finish, in building a rudimentary Commodore 64 (6502) and Pac-Man (Z80) emulator. Topics will include memory layout, CPU instructions, text-based graphics, basic sound, and plenty of implementation bloopers. A demonstration and Q&A session will follow the talk. No quarters required.
>
> Here is a list of the record number of exhibits. Note the C=/Amiga exhibits!
>
> Exhibit ID
> Exhibit title
> Name (first/last)
>
> 1
> Acorn Computers and Teletext
> David Glover-Aoki
>
> 2
> Video-Sprite with TMS9918A card for Apple II & TM990/189 University Board
> Jerome Calvo
>
> 3
> 2000s Apple computer
> Jordan Q Hayes
>
> 4
> The Compact Macintosh Garden
> Steve Brunwasser
>
> 5
> Acorn Econet
> Steve Crozier
>
> 6
> Silicon Graphics Presenter Presentation
> Nicholas Bustamante
>
> 7
> ReA4091 - Back to the SCSI
> Stefan Reinauer
>
> 8
> s100 bus and ieee 696 computers
> Jay Cotton
>
> 9
> Core Memory Interactive Core64
> Andy Geppert
>
> 10
> Early Apple Computer Iconography
> Bruno Marchon
>
> 11
> Vintage Circuit Board Recapping & Repair
> Arion Paylo
>
> 12
> VME Unix Systems
> Rico Pajarola
>
> 13
> Sun Diskless Workstations
> Zachary Hardesty
>
> 14
> From Kodak to Steve: The Journey of Digital Photography and Macintosh Clones of the 90s
> Chris Satterfield
>
> 15
> Prodigy Reloaded
> Phillip Heller
>
> 16
> BackBit simplifies retro computing!
> Evie Salomon
>
> 17
> Just A Collection Of Computers
> adrian chadd
>
> 18
> The Motorola 6809 MIcroprocessor: Let's TACOBOTt It
> Steve Toner
>
> 19
> Motorola 6800 Exorciser Development kits
> Stanley Ruppert
>
> 20
> British 1978 - 8080 Triton Home Computer Project rebuild : Original & Recreation
> Ian Lockhart
>
> 21
> CoCoVGA - Adapting 68xx Systems to VGA Displays
> Brendan Donahe
>
> 22
> Commodore PET progression 1977-1986
> Charles Hutchins
>
> 23
> Commodore 8-bit/Amiga computer exhibit
> Robert Bernardo
>
> 24
> Commodore 64 - 40 Years anniversary of the greatest home computer ever made
> Joeri van Haren
>
> 25
> Relay based Computers, the Sound of Computation
> Francis Bauer
>
> 26
> C64i - Commodore 64 improved
> Francis Bernier
>
> 27
> 60 Years of DEC Linc
> Ryan Schiff
>
> 28
> Tele-Typin' Zone
> Dustin Williams
>
> 29
> "THAT" - THE ANALOG THING
> Lyle Bickley
>
> 30
> Heathkit H8/H9 Estate Sale Find and Resurrection
> Cole Erskine
>
> 31
> Tektronix 4054A Graphics Computer
> Monty McGraw
>
> 32
> Apple ll Rev. 7 & Apple-1 Replica
> Logan Greer
>
> 33
> Sun2, Sun3, 10BASE5 and 10BASE2 hardware
> Robert Harker
>
> 34
> IBM or Apple--Why Not Both?
> Eric Schlaepfer
>
> 35
> Apple & Early Computing
> Jon Siefken
>
> 36
> ROMulator and PETpix - new gadgets for old computers
> Michael Hill
>
> 37
> Radio Shack Micros and Cousins
> David Henderson
>
> 38
> Rare Computers From Japan
> Duncan Mac Dougall
>
> 39
> A Depraz Mouse Reproduction
> John Floren
>
> 40
> Multiprocessor Workstations From The 1980s
> Steve Jones
>
> 41
> The First Apple 1
> Liza Loop
>
> 42
> Overkil Classic Macs!
> Ryan Gehret
>
> 43
> Pen Based Computing
> Tom Conrad
>
> 44
> QWERTZ: German Computing
> Erik Johnson
>
> 45
> CA80 the first Polish trainer computer kit of the 80s
> Kris Sekula
>
> FOPAL
> Friends of the Palo Alto Library (FOPAL)
> David Cortesi
>
> See you at VCF West!
> Robert Bernardo
> Fresno Commodore User Group – http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
> Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network – http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
Re: Vintage Computer Festival West - Aug. 6-7, 2022 [message #415881 is a reply to message #415842] Tue, 02 August 2022 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobertB is currently offline  RobertB
Messages: 4783
Registered: December 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
I haven't heard of any streaming. Nevertheless, I will film the Commodore/Amiga presentations.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
Re: Vintage Computer Festival West - Aug. 6-7, 2022 [message #415891 is a reply to message #415881] Tue, 02 August 2022 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: KP KP

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 10:16:43 PM UTC-7, Robert Bernardo wrote:
> I haven't heard of any streaming. Nevertheless, I will film the Commodore/Amiga presentations.
>
> Truly,
> Robert Bernardo
> Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
> Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
Ok
Thanks!
Re: Vintage Computer Festival West - Aug. 6-7, 2022 [message #416038 is a reply to message #415891] Mon, 08 August 2022 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: KP KP

On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 7:08:21 AM UTC-7, KP KP wrote:
> On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 10:16:43 PM UTC-7, Robert Bernardo wrote:
>> I haven't heard of any streaming. Nevertheless, I will film the Commodore/Amiga presentations.
>>
>> Truly,
>> Robert Bernardo
>> Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
>> Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
> Ok
> Thanks!
Saw the videos, looked like a good turnout.
Re: Vintage Computer Festival West - Aug. 6-7, 2022 [message #416098 is a reply to message #416038] Fri, 12 August 2022 08:50 Go to previous message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: phigan

>>> I haven't heard of any streaming. Nevertheless, I will film the
>>> Commodore/Amiga presentations.

> Saw the videos, looked like a good turnout.

Could someone post them here?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Over 3000 downloads of CBM-Command V2.3 and counting!
Next Topic: Commodore 64 Digicom 64 Amateur Radio Packet Radio Example
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Dec 08 21:34:50 EST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02064 seconds