Digital Archaeology Expedition #1

Out in the distant reaches of the curb of my next door neighbor I discovered a small, towering beige monolith. To my expert eyes it was clear that it was a computational device of ancient origin. I immediately determined to ascertain whether or not it could be resurrected so I brought it and the accompanying cathode ray tube monitor and other accessories back to my laboratory.



Surprisingly enough, the pc and monitor powered on with no obvious problems except that the computer was missing a hard drive. No doubt the owner had wisely removed it and reused or destroyed it to prevent sensitive data from falling into the wrong hands. I found a spare PATA hard drive laying around and placed it into the machine. Unfortunately it had to rest in the bottom of the case because the hard drive bracket was also missing and I had no spare that would fit this apparent Micro ATX mini tower. I successfully installed Lubuntu 10.04 and was off and running.

This generic looking beige box contained a 700 MHz Celeron processor and 256 MB of RAM. I immediately set out to determine how much I could upgrade this thing and if I had any parts that would do the trick. The Celeron 700 is a Socket 370 CPU so theoretically it could be upgraded all the way to a Tualatin Pentium III running at 1400 MHz depending on the motherboard.