Originally posted by: jerry@utzoo.UUCP (Jerry J. Deroo)
Date: Tue, 5-Mar-85 23:31:44 EST
Posted: Tue Mar 5 23:31:44 1985
Date-Received: Tue, 5-Mar-85 23:31:44 EST
Organization: U of Toronto Zoology
I have recently acquired Venix for the PC/AT and have run into a few problems,
and was wondering if others out there (there MUST be others :-) ) had run
into them as well....
1) date/time on bootup is sort-of correct..month, day and time are correct,
year is always 1970
2) awk(1) does not handle the BEGIN pattern correctly..it hangs the process
3) curses(3) routine getstr does not return when RETURN pressed..have to
hit ^J (that took a while to stumble into)
4) awk(1) does not handle this type of command line properly:
awk -f prog filename
it just hangs there
1) though I could not find it anywhere in the manuals, I have discovered
that kill -2 1 causes /etc/ttys to be re-read..sure beats re-booting as
the manual's way to re-configure your ports
2) arbitrary-length reads directed at a tty in raw mode
block until the number of characters
requested are input. THIS IS MENTIONED in ONE (1) PLACE as far as I can
see, and not well marked.
(in thinking about this, it might be why getstr screws up)
This means, among other things, that stdio can not be used in raw
mode (I have some public software which does this), as the old
_filbuf does a read of BUFSIZ. cute
3) performance is pretty good
Has anyone put the floating point processor in? how does venix live with it?
How about the AST Advantage card??? Anyone with it?
And of course, the 64 dollar question, what about second source hard disks?
I would appreciate hearing from those hearty souls who are running Venix
on a PC/AT....
as they say, thanks in advance
Jerry J. Deroo