Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Computer Arcana » Apple » PowerPC Macs » Partitions corrupted on a drive
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Partitions corrupted on a drive [message #334885] Thu, 29 December 2016 18:55 Go to next message
W. Neal Lewis is currently offline  W. Neal Lewis
Messages: 13
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Junior Member
A partition or partitions are corrupted on one of the drives on my G4.

The drive is a Hitachi HDP725050GLAT80.

When I boot off the system CD, it can see two partitions, but not the
other three.

I have an older version of DiskWarrior (3.0.2) which also can see two of
the partitions, but cannot fix the problem.

Would a newer version of DiskWarrior (4.0) be able to fix the problem?

I downloaded a free program called Test Disk (7.0). Is anyone familiar
with that software?

So far, all of the partitions show up on the desktop.

The disk was partitioned originally using the free version (came with
the drive) of Intech Hard Disk Speed Tools.

I am thinking of buying the current version and seeing if they can
suggest anything.

Another thing I should do is to buy another disk of the same size, and
the necessary software, and back up the drive with the partition problems.

Anything I do must be in the $80 or less price range.

Thanks.

Neal Lewis

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Partitions corrupted on a drive [message #334886 is a reply to message #334885] Thu, 29 December 2016 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bruce Johnson is currently offline  Bruce Johnson
Messages: 319
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member

On Dec 29, 2016, at 4:55 PM, W. Neal Lewis <wnlewis@southwind.net<mailto:wnlewis@southwind.net>> wrote:

A partition or partitions are corrupted on one of the drives on my G4.

The drive is a Hitachi HDP725050GLAT80.

When I boot off the system CD, it can see two partitions, but not the other three.

I have an older version of DiskWarrior (3.0.2) which also can see two of the partitions, but cannot fix the problem.

Would a newer version of DiskWarrior (4.0) be able to fix the problem?

Disk warrior fixes volume catalog and index issues, not disk and partition issues.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy
Information Technology Group

Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs


--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Partitions corrupted on a drive [message #334896 is a reply to message #334886] Thu, 29 December 2016 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Fritsch is currently offline  Thomas Fritsch
Messages: 16
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Junior Member
i'm not super certain and Miiiight cause more problems than it'd solve but
there are partitioning tools in UbuntuMATE that should work on your
Powermac Model After you'd install hfstools (which can still be done in an
liveCD Session)

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Bruce Johnson <johnson@pharmacy.arizona.edu
> wrote:

>
> On Dec 29, 2016, at 4:55 PM, W. Neal Lewis <wnlewis@southwind.net> wrote:
>
> A partition or partitions are corrupted on one of the drives on my G4.
>
> The drive is a Hitachi HDP725050GLAT80.
>
> When I boot off the system CD, it can see two partitions, but not the
> other three.
>
> I have an older version of DiskWarrior (3.0.2) which also can see two of
> the partitions, but cannot fix the problem.
>
> Would a newer version of DiskWarrior (4.0) be able to fix the problem?
>
>
> Disk warrior fixes volume catalog and index issues, not disk and partition
> issues.
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group
>
> Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs
>
>
> --
> --
> You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for
> those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power
> Macs.
> The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our
> netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
> To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/
> group/g3-5-list
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "G-Group" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Partitions corrupted on a drive [message #334897 is a reply to message #334885] Thu, 29 December 2016 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mac User #330250 is currently offline  Mac User #330250
Messages: 83
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
Hello!

You failed to give some vital information. Is this a bootable drive in a
Power Mac? Which version of Mac OS X are you running? Are the partitions
accessible at all?

Normally the Apple Partition Map (APM) is stored in the first 64 sectors
and if they are not corrupted the partitions should be available from
every OS that can read APM partitions.

TestDisk should be able to find partitions for a APM partitioning
scheme, but I personally never tried it. Someone else didn't either,
https://www.broes.nl/2008/01/restore-an-apple-partition-map/ , but has
found an alternative solution to reconstruct the partition table.


You say that all the partitions show up on the desktop? I would
definitely safe all precious files from the disk before I would try to
"fix" the partition table.


Which Power Mac are you using? Because if it is a Mac prior to the
Quicksilver 2002 then it's natural that you don't see partitions behind
the 128 GB barrier, due to LBA with 28 bits versus LBA48 with 48 bits.
See
https://4thcode.blogspot.co.at/2007/12/using-128-gib-or-larg er-ata-hard-drives.html
for more on this and why it is possible that you see the partitions on
the desktop after booting...

Good luck!

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Re: Partitions corrupted on a drive [message #334903 is a reply to message #334886] Fri, 30 December 2016 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
W. Neal Lewis is currently offline  W. Neal Lewis
Messages: 13
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Junior Member
Bruce,

Thank you.

I wish it did.

However, that information puts me one step closer to a solution.

Thanks again.

Neal Lewis

On 12/29/16 6:34 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>> Would a newer version of DiskWarrior (4.0) be able to fix the problem?
>
> Disk warrior fixes volume catalog and index issues, not disk and
> partition issues.
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group
>
> Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Partitions corrupted on a drive [message #334904 is a reply to message #334896] Fri, 30 December 2016 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
W. Neal Lewis is currently offline  W. Neal Lewis
Messages: 13
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Junior Member
Bruce,

A very interesting idea. I have been thinking about getting into Linux
and this may be the opportunity.

Which version of Ubuntu (or Fedora, maybe?) would run on a G4 PPC?

I'm game to give it a try, but would need to back up the disk that has
the problems first.

Thanks.

Neal Lewis

On 12/29/16 7:50 PM, Thomas Fritsch wrote:
> i'm not super certain and Miiiight cause more problems than it'd solve
> but there are partitioning tools in UbuntuMATE that should work on
> your Powermac Model After you'd install hfstools (which can still be
> done in an liveCD Session)
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group
>
> Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs
>

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Partitions corrupted on a drive [message #334997 is a reply to message #334904] Sat, 31 December 2016 21:52 Go to previous message
NODEraser is currently offline  NODEraser
Messages: 94
Registered: June 2013
Karma: 0
Member
Make sure you back up the data you can access before you do anything else,
just in case.

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 22" Apple Cinema Display
Next Topic: Re: Partitions corrupted on a drive
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Jan 23 13:58:16 EST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00789 seconds