Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Electronic Gaming Arcana » Sega » Sega Genesis » Time to put a fork in it?
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Time to put a fork in it? [message #130497] Tue, 11 August 2009 01:30 Go to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
What do we think guys? Is it time to finally put a fork in RGVS and ASG?
Seems like they're both done to me. When even trash like Radeon is
posting bait just to get some conversation going, it seems like it's
officially the end for both of these groups.

For a while now I've been posting stuff here in RGVS/ASG that I had
originally posted elsewhere, in forums and whatnot, just to try to get
some conversation going...but, unfortunately, I don't think I'll be
doing that anymore. Though I don't think I'll ever delete either of
these groups from my usenet list...I've found that, more and more,
there's not much point in putting forth the time and effort to do this
when there's little chance of getting any sort of conversation going in
here(or ASG).

Let's be honest: It's been going this way for a while now...and I'm just
sort of wondering where everyone has been going. I mainly stick around
my own forums, and hit places like Digital Press and Sega-16 from time
to time. Where do ya'll go?

I wrote this up to, mainly, just say that this will probably be one of
my last posts, of any substance, here and in ASG. Just seems like it's
not worth the time anymore... :(

Breaks my heart to say it too, these two groups have been my online home
since 1997(earlier than that, actually, 1997 is just the earliest year I
can find any record of myself in the Google Groups archives). I loved
talking to my online friends here about all things Sega. I loved
chatting about off-topic stuff...Hell, I even enjoyed some of the bickering.

I remember waking up every morning and the first thing I'd do, before
even checking email, was hit RGVS/ASG and tagging everything I was going
to reply to at some point throughout the day. I would hit the groups
multiple times a day too, just waiting for new posts to pop up...for new
discussions to take part in, for new topics to jump at. Good times...man
I loved it.

Believe it or not, I actually left these groups for a few months a long
while back. We were having some massive issues with trolls and
crossposters...I just couldn't take it anymore...and decided to leave
for a while. When I finally came back, things had calmed down...the
crossposters had lost interest and the trolls had moved on to bashing
the Xbox(because, you know, anything that opposes a Sony product is
immediately inferior...no matter what). I regret leaving the groups for
even that small amount of time now...

Please don't think this is an attack on anyone here in the group. Over
the years we've *all* done our part to try to keep these two groups
alive...and it really has helped...but I think it's just dried up beyond
the point of repair now. Again, it breaks my heart to say that.

Anyway, I'll still be around to help out those out in need...and will
contribute to any conversation that comes about, but I think I'm tapped
out in terms of new postings. Maybe we'll see a few "help" posts from
time to time, like the recent "Bel needs SMS advice *badly*!"
thread(another one that originally started in a forum and was added here
in RGVS)...who knows.

As always, any and all from either RGVS or ASG are more than welcome to
join us over at the Whip Ass Gaming Forums. It's a smaller
community(much like here), but we have some fun chatting about this and
that. You'll be in good company with RGVS/ASG regulars Scott H,
Benstylus, Fritz, Bluecrabfive, Dandy and others. If you have any
questions, feel free to ask...if you have any issues getting signed up,
let me know. :)

Whip Ass Gaming Forums Primer: An introduction to WAG Forums.
http://whipassgaming.com/wagforums.htm

Finally, if you haven't already, be sure to stop by the RGVS Memorable
Quotes section of my site at some point. It's a text-based walk down
memory lane that I *promise* you'll love(there's even some hip midi to
accompany you during the trip). :)

http://whipassgaming.com/rgvsquotes.html

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"With no possible contact to the outside world you begin your adventure,
ready to accomplish your mission, praying to return alive."
- PowerSlave
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130498 is a reply to message #130497] Tue, 11 August 2009 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kendrick Kerwin Chua is currently offline  Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Messages: 41
Registered: January 2007
Karma: 0
Member
In article <h5r05o$rth$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
BelPowerslave <bel@whipassgaming.com> wrote:
> What do we think guys? Is it time to finally put a fork in RGVS and ASG?
> Seems like they're both done to me. When even trash like Radeon is
> posting bait just to get some conversation going, it seems like it's
> officially the end for both of these groups.

You know, a working killfile is a wonderful thing. I don't see anything
from a few posters unless they're quoted in other people's posts, and then
nothing at all if one of them starts a new thread. :)

I think that for RGVS in particular, the group's relevance faded fast when
Sega left the hardware business. Without a console for advocates to
defend, or a clear platform strategy that was transparent to the public,
there really ceased to be anything worthwhile to talk about. Conversation
about preservation and repair is necessarily limited to specialized web
forums, and talk about specific games tends to happen in the other groups
that are specific to a particular platform.

Still, I don't know that it's completely done. Newsgroups wax and wane
with the public interest. They should reflect what's going on in the rest
of the world, and not be an end unto themselves. In that spirit, I'm going
to keep RGVS at the top of my .newsrc file in anticipation of Sega's next
big move. You never know what's coming.

-KKC, imagining a PSO/Monster Hunter crossover. Ooh, flying bird buddies
that act like Mags, that would be cool. :)
--
-- "Very long easy right, | kendrick @ |
baby!" | io . com | http://www.io.com/~kkc
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130869 is a reply to message #130497] Thu, 13 August 2009 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ted is currently offline  Ted
Messages: 46
Registered: March 2008
Karma: 0
Member
Everything lasts forever...
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130870 is a reply to message #130497] Thu, 13 August 2009 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott H is currently offline  Scott H
Messages: 60
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Member
BelPowerslave wrote:
> What do we think guys? Is it time to finally put a fork in RGVS and ASG?
> Seems like they're both done to me. When even trash like Radeon is
> posting bait just to get some conversation going, it seems like it's
> officially the end for both of these groups.

I think we should all make a commitment to post our Sega relevant
thoughts here even if nobody replies. I know for a fact that people in
the industry monitor these groups. I seriously doubt they find all of
our forum comments through search engines though. Maybe something will
take seed at Sega, or some fresh new start up, that will bring us
something wonderful to play again.

-
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130871 is a reply to message #130497] Thu, 13 August 2009 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bluecrabfive is currently offline  bluecrabfive
Messages: 5
Registered: March 2007
Karma: 0
Junior Member
On Aug 11, 1:30 am, BelPowerslave <b...@whipassgaming.com> wrote:
> What do we think guys? Is it time to finally put a fork in RGVS and ASG?
> Seems like they're both done to me. When even trash like Radeon is
> posting bait just to get some conversation going, it seems like it's
> officially the end for both of these groups.

Pretty much...I take a look every now and then but its just as likely
to be spam for bootleg watches and penis enlargement as it is to be
something on topic. Radeon, Blig Merk, Sprite Scaller's, etc., etc.
act really is tired isn't it?

Usenet really has been going downhill as far as traffic goes for a
long time. No bells and whistles like avatars and posting images must
be too bare bones for most folks I guess.

> Let's be honest: It's been going this way for a while now...and I'm just
> sort of wondering where everyone has been going. I mainly stick around
> my own forums, and hit places like Digital Press and Sega-16 from time
> to time.  Where do ya'll go?

I don't post anywhere as much as I used to, probably your forums more
than anywhere else. I do lurk at a few other sites just not a whole
lot.

> Finally, if you haven't already, be sure to stop by the RGVS Memorable
> Quotes section of my site at some point. It's a text-based walk down
> memory lane that I *promise* you'll love(there's even some hip midi to
> accompany you during the trip). :)
>
> http://whipassgaming.com/rgvsquotes.html

"Are your shadows...feeling not so blue?"
I've been away for a while so I don't know if this has been discussed
yet but, does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Ryo asks everyone if
they know where "sailors" hang out?

"Can you tell me where I can find some sailors?"

"Excuse me, are those sailors over there?" - Chad Faber

Classic.
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130872 is a reply to message #130869] Fri, 14 August 2009 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
> Everything lasts forever...

Except Sega quality...;)

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Hey look, I didn't mean to drag your balls in to the discussion"
- Chazz Michael Michaels, Blades of Glory
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130873 is a reply to message #130871] Fri, 14 August 2009 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
> Pretty much...I take a look every now and then but its just as likely
> to be spam for bootleg watches and penis enlargement as it is to be
> something on topic. Radeon, Blig Merk, Sprite Scaller's, etc., etc.
> act really is tired isn't it?

It really is.

> Usenet really has been going downhill as far as traffic goes for a
> long time. No bells and whistles like avatars and posting images must
> be too bare bones for most folks I guess.

Honestly, I have not visited another usenet group other than ASG and
RGVS in years. I used to post in AGVXbox back in the day, but the
spammers, crossposters and Sony cocksuckers ruined that for me after a
while. I, sometimes, look at it via Google Groups, just to see if
anything has changed...it hasn't.

> I don't post anywhere as much as I used to, probably your forums more
> than anywhere else.

I certainly appreciate it. :)

> I do lurk at a few other sites just not a whole
> lot.

I used to do a bit of posting at a few various forums...but it never
seemed to last. Something always happens to drive me away from them.

> "Are your shadows...feeling not so blue?"

It never gets old...ever. If I knew Rox's address, I'd email him a print
out of that picture once a week until I died.

> I've been away for a while so I don't know if this has been discussed
> yet but, does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Ryo asks everyone if
> they know where "sailors" hang out?
>
> "Can you tell me where I can find some sailors?"
>
> "Excuse me, are those sailors over there?" - Chad Faber
>
> Classic.

Yeah, that one is just awesome. I often times think about sifting
through old archives of RGVS/ASG and digging up more quotes...just can't
ever find the time to do it.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com

"It's a good thing these guys aren't lumberjacks!"
"Yeah, the only thing safe in the forest would be the trees!"
- Mike and Don, TMNT
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130874 is a reply to message #130870] Fri, 14 August 2009 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
> I think we should all make a commitment to post our Sega relevant
> thoughts here even if nobody replies.

I used to feel this way, it just seems like this year has been real,
real bad for both groups...and it wasn't so great the year before that.

> I know for a fact that people in
> the industry monitor these groups.

That's true. I remember when Paul Lange, of Lobotomy Software, posted a
question here asking if anyone had heard any rumors of a game hidden in
PowerSlave. A guy working for some magazine spotted the name and the
rest is in the RGVS Memorable Quotes section of WAG.

I think I remember a guy from Rage Software showing up here...and I
remember the time a guy from Avalanche software chewed me out because I
was quoting an interview where a member of the team said that they
didn't add Save support to the Saturn version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy
because it "would have required us to read the manual". No shit.

> I seriously doubt they find all of
> our forum comments through search engines though.

Google is getting better and archiving forums. Try this: Type something
in to Google and then hit "Groups". It gives you a mix of usenet and
forums. Pretty wild.

> Maybe something will
> take seed at Sega, or some fresh new start up, that will bring us
> something wonderful to play again.

It'd be nice, but I just don't have your optimism. :(

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Consider yourself clobbered"
- The Thing, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130875 is a reply to message #130498] Fri, 14 August 2009 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
> You know, a working killfile is a wonderful thing. I don't see anything
> from a few posters unless they're quoted in other people's posts, and then
> nothing at all if one of them starts a new thread. :)

True, but he changes his identity and email address so often that it's
hard to keep up. As you know, he does this so his pathetic posts can get
through people's filters and thus allow for the attention he so
desperately requires. ;)

> I think that for RGVS in particular, the group's relevance faded fast when
> Sega left the hardware business.

Agreed.

> Without a console for advocates to
> defend, or a clear platform strategy that was transparent to the public,
> there really ceased to be anything worthwhile to talk about. Conversation
> about preservation and repair is necessarily limited to specialized web
> forums, and talk about specific games tends to happen in the other groups
> that are specific to a particular platform.

Good call. Honestly though, I just think we've run out of stuff to talk
about. I mean, over the years I think I've talked about virtually every
Genesis game in existence, be it in a post I wrote up or in just a
casual response to something else.

Thing is, even when new Genesis/Sega CD games come out...there's nothing
about them here, I mean we don't even kind of talk about it, you know?
You'd think a new game on the platform we all love would garner some
sort of conversation. That's another reason why I think these groups are
done: We don't even discuss stuff that's directly related to the group
we're in anymore. :(

> Still, I don't know that it's completely done. Newsgroups wax and wane
> with the public interest. They should reflect what's going on in the rest
> of the world, and not be an end unto themselves. In that spirit, I'm going
> to keep RGVS at the top of my .newsrc file in anticipation of Sega's next
> big move. You never know what's coming.

Well, don't get me wrong, I'm not removing them from my newsgroup list,
I just don't think I'll be adding any new posts.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"If the Xbox console falls and hits someone, especially a small
child, it could cause serious injury."
- The Xbox user manual
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130876 is a reply to message #130875] Fri, 14 August 2009 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anders.Montonen is currently offline  Anders.Montonen
Messages: 1
Registered: August 2009
Karma: 0
Junior Member
In alt.sega.genesis BelPowerslave <bel@whipassgaming.com> wrote:
>> You know, a working killfile is a wonderful thing. I don't see anything
>> from a few posters unless they're quoted in other people's posts, and then
>> nothing at all if one of them starts a new thread. :)
> True, but he changes his identity and email address so often that it's
> hard to keep up. As you know, he does this so his pathetic posts can get
> through people's filters and thus allow for the attention he so
> desperately requires. ;)

I filter all posts that are crossposted to three or more groups.
Experience has shown they are never worth reading.

-a
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130877 is a reply to message #130873] Fri, 14 August 2009 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott H is currently offline  Scott H
Messages: 60
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Member
>
> Yeah, that one is just awesome. I often times think about sifting
> through old archives of RGVS/ASG and digging up more quotes...just can't
> ever find the time to do it.
>

Well now, that is an idea. I've been meaning to catalog conversations
from Usenet past. Why don't we start a weekly blurb, "This week in
1989" thing that's directly related to video games. It should be easy
to come up with and post in about fifteen minutes. I'm going to do it
anyway, but I'd hope in some group participation and initial suggestions.

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130938 is a reply to message #130497] Sat, 15 August 2009 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nathanallan is currently offline  nathanallan
Messages: 5
Registered: May 2009
Karma: 0
Junior Member
On Aug 10, 11:30 pm, BelPowerslave <b...@whipassgaming.com> wrote:
> What do we think guys? Is it time to finally put a fork in RGVS and ASG?
> Seems like they're both done to me. When even trash like Radeon is
> posting bait just to get some conversation going, it seems like it's
> officially the end for both of these groups.
I'll be honest, I didn't join any of these groups until well after
they were going downhill.

So I'll contribute a bit. I'm a little miffed that the new Sega title
Pier Solar hasn't been released yet. Now they're talking Christmas
when the original release date was months ago. I understand about
setbacks and all, but sheesh, patience can last only so long.
Preorders are fine, setbacks are fine and I guess I'll wait. I paid my
cash and I do want the game.

What I was really happy about was Beggar Prince! I bought my copy late
last year and love it. It's a mainstay in my collection. I spoke to
someone working on it and he was "upset" that the guys working on Pier
had decided to take the position to be opposed to them. To me, it's an
old platform so any cooperation would only benefit everybody since
there is no real competition anymore. I bet that if the two teams
would help each other then more games would be made and released
quickly.

Something else that I'm stoked about is the upcoming release of two
new Genesis handhelds! One by Innex and one by Hyperkin. I'm excited
because they play carts and I will be able to play Genny games on the
go. And if I remember right, there will be a SD-card adapter CART from
Innex that will let you play "downloadable content" from them. I know
I will be doing some downloading!

I do some modding, so the thing will be at my fingertips to play with
as I feel. So I'm gonna mod them all up as much as I can think to. I
hope someone figures out how to make a Zero Tolerance link cable (or
rather the ports for them).

Aside from the POS 360 (personal opinion only) and the huge expense of
modern gaming, it's a great time to be a Sega fan. New hardware, games
coming out and bound to soon enough, just me saying I like it.
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130940 is a reply to message #130938] Sat, 15 August 2009 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
> I'll be honest, I didn't join any of these groups until well after
> they were going downhill.
>
> So I'll contribute a bit. I'm a little miffed that the new Sega title
> Pier Solar hasn't been released yet. Now they're talking Christmas
> when the original release date was months ago. I understand about
> setbacks and all, but sheesh, patience can last only so long.
> Preorders are fine, setbacks are fine and I guess I'll wait. I paid my
> cash and I do want the game.

It was like that for Beggar Prince as well...delay after delay after
delay. There was no way I was giving them any money until that thing was
actually shipping.

> What I was really happy about was Beggar Prince! I bought my copy late
> last year and love it.

You lucked out. See, the rest of us who bought it back when it first
came out got fucked by the crappy box art and the fact that it wouldn't
allow you to save your game if you had a Sega CD or 32X attached to your
Genesis. They fixed that in the second(I think) and third runs...yet
don't allow anyone to exchange their copies...they make you buy a new
one. Thank God I was able to sell my first print copy on ebay for about
what I originally paid for it. At least now if I ever decide to support
them again I can do so at only a minor loss.

> It's a mainstay in my collection. I spoke to
> someone working on it and he was "upset" that the guys working on Pier
> had decided to take the position to be opposed to them.

Good. After getting screwed I'm glad to hear that the team behind Pier
Solar won't have anything to do with them, or the way they do things.

> To me, it's an
> old platform so any cooperation would only benefit everybody since
> there is no real competition anymore. I bet that if the two teams
> would help each other then more games would be made and released
> quickly.

Perhaps.

> Something else that I'm stoked about is the upcoming release of two
> new Genesis handhelds! One by Innex and one by Hyperkin. I'm excited
> because they play carts and I will be able to play Genny games on the
> go. And if I remember right, there will be a SD-card adapter CART from
> Innex that will let you play "downloadable content" from them. I know
> I will be doing some downloading!

Yeah, quite a few people are pretty excited about that. I've got a
laptop, so I don't do a whole lot of portable gaming outside of it
anymore(usually play MAME or a Genesis emu). I do own a Game Gear
though, and love it.

> I do some modding, so the thing will be at my fingertips to play with
> as I feel. So I'm gonna mod them all up as much as I can think to. I
> hope someone figures out how to make a Zero Tolerance link cable (or
> rather the ports for them).

IIRC, someone posted how you make a ZT link cable here in RGVS a long
time ago. You may want to take a look. As for modding, have you seen
that mod that allows you to play carts on one of those Radica Plug and
Play things?

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not
entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It
belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to
God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected
those answers; instead, I chose something different."
- Andrew Ryan, BioShock
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130941 is a reply to message #130938] Sun, 16 August 2009 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Nause is currently offline  Marc Nause
Messages: 45
Registered: August 2003
Karma: 0
Member
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 01:02:11 -0700 nathanallan wrote:

>
> I hope
> someone figures out how to make a Zero Tolerance link cable (or rather
> the ports for them).

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2437 describes how to make
a cable.

Regards,
Marc

--
http://low.audioattack.de
http://yacy.audioattack.de
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #130942 is a reply to message #130874] Tue, 18 August 2009 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott H is currently offline  Scott H
Messages: 60
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Member
BelPowerslave wrote:
>> I think we should all make a commitment to post our Sega relevant
>> thoughts here even if nobody replies.
>
> I used to feel this way, it just seems like this year has been real,
> real bad for both groups...and it wasn't so great the year before that.

Well, I guess where I'm coming from is the fact that any bozo can come
in here and chime, and google groups logs it, means that the Industry
definitely sees the discussion. I would much prefer we emphasize our in
depth gameplay discussions in these groups rather than limit them to
random forum posts. Nothing is going to revive the group to where it
was in the Dreamcast's days, and that is a good thing.


>> I know for a fact that people in the industry monitor these groups.
>
> That's true. I remember when Paul Lange, of Lobotomy Software, posted a
> question here asking if anyone had heard any rumors of a game hidden in
> PowerSlave. A guy working for some magazine spotted the name and the
> rest is in the RGVS Memorable Quotes section of WAG.
>
> I think I remember a guy from Rage Software showing up here...and I
> remember the time a guy from Avalanche software chewed me out because I
> was quoting an interview where a member of the team said that they
> didn't add Save support to the Saturn version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy
> because it "would have required us to read the manual". No shit.

These groups are viewed as somewhat traditional and official, no forum
can replace that unless these groups get shut down completely.


>> I seriously doubt they find all of our forum comments through search
>> engines though.
>
> Google is getting better and archiving forums. Try this: Type something
> in to Google and then hit "Groups". It gives you a mix of usenet and
> forums. Pretty wild.

I still can't find my random forum comments from WAG or Gamespot from a
few years back. I can find all of my conversations on Usenet though.
If they fix this in search engines my point will eventually be moot. It
may be moot already if developers don't utilize this awesome resource
when doing research.

>> Maybe something will take seed at Sega, or some fresh new start up,
>> that will bring us something wonderful to play again.
>
> It'd be nice, but I just don't have your optimism. :(
>
> Bel

I'm mainly hoping that some start up does it really, I know for a fact
that comments online influence their decisions, we just have to repeat
the right comments in the right places to be heard.


--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #131007 is a reply to message #130942] Wed, 19 August 2009 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
> Well, I guess where I'm coming from is the fact that any bozo can come
> in here and chime, and google groups logs it, means that the Industry
> definitely sees the discussion. I would much prefer we emphasize our in
> depth gameplay discussions in these groups rather than limit them to
> random forum posts.

I agree...but that's my point: There *are* no discussions...and those
that start die quickly. In an active forum, a quality discussion can go
on forever. Hell, even with WAG's small-ass community, we've managed to
do 70 pages for "Game Shopping". That ain't too shabby.

> Nothing is going to revive the group to where it
> was in the Dreamcast's days, and that is a good thing.

As much as I hated the fucking Saturn vs PSX days(the trolling was
almost intolerable, even with filters), the group was awesome back then.
I didn't get to really experience much of it during the Genesis
days...would give anything to have been on the internet back when the
Genesis was their main console.

> These groups are viewed as somewhat traditional and official, no forum
> can replace that unless these groups get shut down completely.

Well, with, what, 4(2 from the piece of shit pirtes) new posts a month,
these two groups are about shut down. :(

> I still can't find my random forum comments from WAG or Gamespot from a
> few years back.

Yeah, that's one thing that really sucks ass about ZetaBoards(and
Invisionfree before it): The search feature doesn't work for shit. I
have noticed that it's gotten better since the Zeta upgrade, but not by
much. I'm wondering if using Google as our search engine would yield
better results(a lot of forums do that).

> I can find all of my conversations on Usenet though.

Lately, and is just me, but if I type something in to Google Groups(when
in RGVS) I usually get zero results. I don't get it...used to be, you'd
type something in and it'd show you posts from years and years and years
ago.

> If
> they fix this in search engines my point will eventually be moot. It
> may be moot already if developers don't utilize this awesome resource
> when doing research.

I'd be very surprised to hear that *any* developer nowadays searches
usenet groups for...well, anything.

> I'm mainly hoping that some start up does it really, I know for a fact
> that comments online influence their decisions, we just have to repeat
> the right comments in the right places to be heard.

You know what I've always wanted to try, if I had the money and
resources: Turning Xboxs in to some sort of homebrew base console. Put
in a new dash, have it connect to a homebrew marketplace, you can
download stuff, upload stuff, etc. Sort of like the XBL Marketplace is
now, but all user-created and run. I'd also hand out *real* Xbox
development software, so homebrewers could sit there and use the full
power of the original Xbox to create original games. Imagine it...

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Nautical nonsense be something I seek"
- Me
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #131009 is a reply to message #130874] Sat, 22 August 2009 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ted is currently offline  Ted
Messages: 46
Registered: March 2008
Karma: 0
Member
BelPowerslave wrote:

> Google is getting better and archiving forums. Try this: Type something
> in to Google and then hit "Groups". It gives you a mix of usenet and
> forums. Pretty wild.

It's also requiring a Google ID signed into the browser to search
Groups. And I think it's probably impoverishing regular searches by
removing web board results.
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #131010 is a reply to message #131009] Sat, 22 August 2009 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
>> Google is getting better and archiving forums. Try this: Type
>> something in to Google and then hit "Groups". It gives you a mix of
>> usenet and forums. Pretty wild.
>
> It's also requiring a Google ID signed into the browser to search
> Groups. And I think it's probably impoverishing regular searches by
> removing web board results.

Well, here's the problem: I *am* signed in when doing the search...and
it still brings up no results.

I have noticed that if it's something that was talked about within the
first page(on Google Groups) for RGVS, it will find that...but past
that, nothing.

Did you actually get it to work? I mean, did you get a bunch of results
when you searched for something in RGVS on this page?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.sega/topics

Let me know...I'd really like to figure this out. :)

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"No I'm not playing hard to get, I'm telling you sir it's not that kind
of phone line!"
- Donatello, TMNT
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #131011 is a reply to message #131010] Sat, 22 August 2009 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
>>> Google is getting better and archiving forums. Try this: Type
>>> something in to Google and then hit "Groups". It gives you a mix of
>>> usenet and forums. Pretty wild.
>>
>> It's also requiring a Google ID signed into the browser to search
>> Groups. And I think it's probably impoverishing regular searches by
>> removing web board results.
>
> Well, here's the problem: I *am* signed in when doing the search...and
> it still brings up no results.
>
> I have noticed that if it's something that was talked about within the
> first page(on Google Groups) for RGVS, it will find that...but past
> that, nothing.
>
> Did you actually get it to work? I mean, did you get a bunch of results
> when you searched for something in RGVS on this page?
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.sega/topics
>
> Let me know...I'd really like to figure this out. :)
>
> Bel

Quick example:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.sega/search?g roup=rec.games.video.sega&q=street+fighter+alpha+gold&am p;qt_g=Search+this+group

That's searching for "Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold" in the RGVS group,
while signed in.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"If the Xbox console falls and hits someone, especially a small
child, it could cause serious injury."
- The Xbox user manual
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #131012 is a reply to message #131010] Sun, 23 August 2009 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ted is currently offline  Ted
Messages: 46
Registered: March 2008
Karma: 0
Member
BelPowerslave wrote:
>>> Google is getting better and archiving forums. Try this: Type
>>> something in to Google and then hit "Groups". It gives you a mix of
>>> usenet and forums. Pretty wild.
>>
>> It's also requiring a Google ID signed into the browser to search
>> Groups. And I think it's probably impoverishing regular searches by
>> removing web board results.
>
> Well, here's the problem: I *am* signed in when doing the search...and
> it still brings up no results.
>
> I have noticed that if it's something that was talked about within the
> first page(on Google Groups) for RGVS, it will find that...but past
> that, nothing.

Searching "sega dreamcast replace drive belpowerslave" through groups
pulls up an older hit from the group.

>
> Did you actually get it to work? I mean, did you get a bunch of results
> when you searched for something in RGVS on this page?
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.sega/topics
>
> Let me know...I'd really like to figure this out. :)

Yeah, searching from the launch page for the group seems to fail. And
searching with the group name from the general groups search seems to
fail as well. (Searching for "unemployed dreamcast" and
rec.games.video.sega fails to bring up the hit from the previous search,
but searching "unemployed dreamcast" without the group name does bring
it up.) So, yeah, it seems to be fucked.
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #131015 is a reply to message #130877] Sun, 13 September 2009 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
math_guy is currently offline  math_guy
Messages: 20
Registered: April 2008
Karma: 0
Junior Member
On Aug 14, 7:06 am, Scott H <she...@gamepilgrimage.com> wrote:
>
> Well now, that is an idea.  I've been meaning to catalog conversations
> from Usenet past.

Remember when Capcom's Chris Kramer came in here shilling Darkstalkers
and Street Fighter: Reel Battle On Film for the Sega 32X? ^_^

Sean
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #131016 is a reply to message #131015] Sun, 13 September 2009 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
math_guy is currently offline  math_guy
Messages: 20
Registered: April 2008
Karma: 0
Junior Member
On Sep 13, 7:21 pm, I, math_guy <sean_le...@hotmail.com>, wrote:
>
> Remember when Capcom's Chris Kramer came in here shilling Darkstalkers
> and Street Fighter: Reel Battle On Film for the Sega 32X?  ^_^

Ooops! I meant Street Fighter: REAL Battle on Film (which eventually
became Street Fighter: The Movie).

Sean
Re: Time to put a fork in it? [message #131072 is a reply to message #131015] Sun, 13 September 2009 22:50 Go to previous message
Scott H is currently offline  Scott H
Messages: 60
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Member
math_guy wrote:
> On Aug 14, 7:06 am, Scott H <she...@gamepilgrimage.com> wrote:
>> Well now, that is an idea. I've been meaning to catalog conversations
>> from Usenet past.
>
> Remember when Capcom's Chris Kramer came in here shilling Darkstalkers
> and Street Fighter: Reel Battle On Film for the Sega 32X? ^_^
>
> Sean

That is a touch before my time. By catalog I meant research and
catalog. The Mac we had at the time was more than capable of handling
usenet, but I unfortunately did not hear about RGVS until 1999.


--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Sega Genesis reaches 20 years of age in the United States
Next Topic: A silly post about our Genesis
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 04 14:05:17 EDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00549 seconds