Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Sci-Fi/Fantasy » Battlestar Galactica » Shame there was no Caprica Season 2.
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #50266] Tue, 23 April 2013 04:12 Go to next message
BillV2320 is currently offline  BillV2320
Messages: 102
Registered: June 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
The teaser for season 2 looked very interesting. how much did they
actally film?
i think Dynamite should do a Caprica Season 2 comic and have it be
canon.
They have done some interesting stuff with classic BSG and even a
'reimagined'
BSG '80!
If no comics then prose novels based on whatever plans they had for
season 2.
if hatch could get away with his erratic classic BSG novels 25 years
after the original, then i am SURE there are enough devoted fans who
could do some kick ass NEW BSG material.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #50343 is a reply to message #50266] Tue, 23 April 2013 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YourName is currently offline  YourName
Messages: 366
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
In article <15920-51764256-405@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net>,
BillV2320@webtv.net (J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV) wrote:
>

> The teaser for season 2 looked very interesting. how much did they

> actally film?

> i think Dynamite should do a Caprica Season 2 comic and have it be

> canon.

> They have done some interesting stuff with classic BSG and even a

> 'reimagined'

> BSG '80!

> If no comics then prose novels based on whatever plans they had for

> season 2.

> if hatch could get away with his erratic classic BSG novels 25 years

> after the original, then i am SURE there are enough devoted fans who

> could do some kick ass NEW BSG material.


Since you aren't cross-posting (for a change), you get an answer ...

There are already novels for Ron Moore's so-called "Battlestar Galactica",
but I have absolutely zero interest in his garbagised version, so I have
no idea whether they're new stories or just novelisations of the TV
episodes.

Richard Hatch's novels were part of his plans to get his proper revival of
the real "Battlestar Galactica" made.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #52970 is a reply to message #50343] Wed, 01 May 2013 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillV2320 is currently offline  BillV2320
Messages: 102
Registered: June 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
> There are already novels for Ron Moore's so-called "Battlestar

Galactica", but I have absolutely zero interest in his garbagised
version, so I have no idea whether they're new stories or just
novelisations of the TV episodes.
Richard Hatch's novels were part of his plans to get his proper revival
of the real "Battlestar Galactica" made.

I have read all but the last of Hatch's novels and found them meandering
and inconsistent, owing to the plethora of ghost writers he had writing
them.
I admire his dogged persistance in trying to keep the classic BSG up and
running, but his novels didnt really help the cause.
It is ironic that the character he played on the 'garbagized' BSG, Tom
Zarek, ended up being shot for treason by a firing squad headed by his
'dad', Commander [by then Admiral] Adama.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #53850 is a reply to message #52970] Thu, 02 May 2013 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YourName is currently offline  YourName
Messages: 366
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
In article <5212-5181847F-223@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net>,
BillV2320@webtv.net (J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV) wrote:
> YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)

>>

>> There are already novels for Ron Moore's so-called "Battlestar

>> Galactica", but I have absolutely zero interest in his garbagised

>> version, so I have no idea whether they're new stories or just

>> novelisations of the TV episodes.

>>

>> Richard Hatch's novels were part of his plans to get his proper revival

>> of the real "Battlestar Galactica" made.

>

> I have read all but the last of Hatch's novels and found them meandering

> and inconsistent, owing to the plethora of ghost writers he had writing

> them.

> I admire his dogged persistance in trying to keep the classic BSG up and

> running, but his novels didnt really help the cause.

> It is ironic that the character he played on the 'garbagized' BSG, Tom

> Zarek, ended up being shot for treason by a firing squad headed by his

> 'dad', Commander [by then Admiral] Adama.


Richard Hatch's problem is that he's simply not very talented, as an
actor, nor as a writer, nor as a director / producer. He's a one-bit
wonder who was lucky enough to be given the role of Apollo in the real
"Battlestar Galactica".

There are other simliar one-bit wonders who also keep trying to ressurect
their old shows - the actor who played Avon in the original "Blake's 7"
(no also undergoing a silly reboot, as well as an Americanisation, so
that'll be utter rubbish) and of course David Hasselhoff with Knight
Rider.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #53857 is a reply to message #53850] Thu, 02 May 2013 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillV2320 is currently offline  BillV2320
Messages: 102
Registered: June 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Group: alt.battlestar-galactica Date: Thu, May 2, 2013, 4:14pm (EDT+16)
From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Richard Hatch's problem is that he's simply not very talented, as an
actor, nor as a writer, nor as a director / producer. He's a one-bit
wonder who was lucky enough to be given the role of Apollo in the real
"Battlestar Galactica".
There are other simliar one-bit wonders who also keep trying to
ressurect their old shows - the actor who played Avon in the original
"Blake's 7" (no also undergoing a silly reboot, as well as an
Americanisation, so that'll be utter rubbish) and of course David
Hasselhoff with Knight Rider.

I remember seeing the amerization of Red Dwarf on one of the DVD's.
absolutely horrific.

ROBBY THE GEODUCK LIVES!
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #53859 is a reply to message #53857] Thu, 02 May 2013 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YourName is currently offline  YourName
Messages: 366
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
In article <5212-5181F058-322@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net>,
BillV2320@webtv.net (J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV) wrote:
> From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)

>> Richard Hatch's problem is that he's simply not very talented, as an

>> actor, nor as a writer, nor as a director / producer. He's a one-bit

>> wonder who was lucky enough to be given the role of Apollo in the real

>> "Battlestar Galactica".

>>

>> There are other simliar one-bit wonders who also keep trying to

>> ressurect their old shows - the actor who played Avon in the original

>> "Blake's 7" (no also undergoing a silly reboot, as well as an

>> Americanisation, so that'll be utter rubbish) and of course David

>> Hasselhoff with Knight Rider.

>

> I remember seeing the amerization of Red Dwarf on one of the DVD's.

> absolutely horrific.


Most Americanisation of British shows are awful - "Red Dwarf", "Doctor
Who", and "Torchwood" are just recent examples. Even the American version
of Sherlock is pitiful compared to the British one.

The Americanised version of "Fawlty Towers" isn't even recognisable, but
at least they did change the name to "Cheers".



Your newsreader software needs it's preferences / settings fixed - it's
not prefixing quoted material in your replies with anything, which makes
it difficult to se what you've typed from what you're replying to.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #55590 is a reply to message #50266] Sun, 05 May 2013 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT is currently offline  RT
Messages: 42
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
"J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV" wrote:
>

> The teaser for season 2 looked very interesting. how much did they

> actally film?

> i think Dynamite should do a Caprica Season 2 comic and have it be

> canon.

> They have done some interesting stuff with classic BSG and even a

> 'reimagined'

> BSG '80!

> If no comics then prose novels based on whatever plans they had for

> season 2.

> if hatch could get away with his erratic classic BSG novels 25 years

> after the original, then i am SURE there are enough devoted fans who

> could do some kick ass NEW BSG material.


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenna-busch/jane-espenson-on-g ame-of-_b_867257.html

Can you give us a hint about where Caprica would have gone? So many of us
were heartbroken when it was canceled. What did you learn from that
experience?

We had plans, but nothing had been absolutely committed to -- things like
that tend to change a lot even at the last-minute, so it's hard to remember
exactly what was nailed down. We were going to skip some time, go into some
war stories, and do some crossing over with at least one of the Final Five
cylons. Kevin Murphy gave a recent interview in which he laid out the plans
in a surprising amount of detail - he remembered much more than I did. We
were all trying so hard to make the "now" work, that I'm amazed we had
any time to think about "then."


that interview is here

http://www.capricatimes.com/the-caprica-times-exclusive-inte rview-kevin-murphy
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #55591 is a reply to message #52970] Sun, 05 May 2013 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT is currently offline  RT
Messages: 42
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
"J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV" wrote:
>

> YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)

>> There are already novels for Ron Moore's so-called "Battlestar

> Galactica", but I have absolutely zero interest in his garbagised

> version, so I have no idea whether they're new stories or just

> novelisations of the TV episodes.

> Richard Hatch's novels were part of his plans to get his proper revival

> of the real "Battlestar Galactica" made.

>

> I have read all but the last of Hatch's novels and found them meandering

> and inconsistent, owing to the plethora of ghost writers he had writing

> them.


I picked at random Warhawk years ago. It was ok, I guess. Donated it to
the local library.

> I admire his dogged persistance in trying to keep the classic BSG up and

> running, but his novels didnt really help the cause.

> It is ironic that the character he played on the 'garbagized' BSG, Tom

> Zarek, ended up being shot for treason by a firing squad headed by his

> 'dad', Commander [by then Admiral] Adama.


Actually it was quite smart of him to do it.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #55592 is a reply to message #53850] Sun, 05 May 2013 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT is currently offline  RT
Messages: 42
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
Your Name wrote:
>

> In article <5212-5181847F-223@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net>,

> BillV2320@webtv.net (J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV) wrote:

>> YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)

>>>

>>> There are already novels for Ron Moore's so-called "Battlestar

>>> Galactica", but I have absolutely zero interest in his garbagised

>>> version, so I have no idea whether they're new stories or just

>>> novelisations of the TV episodes.

>>>

>>> Richard Hatch's novels were part of his plans to get his proper revival

>>> of the real "Battlestar Galactica" made.

>>

>> I have read all but the last of Hatch's novels and found them meandering

>> and inconsistent, owing to the plethora of ghost writers he had writing

>> them.

>> I admire his dogged persistance in trying to keep the classic BSG up and

>> running, but his novels didnt really help the cause.

>> It is ironic that the character he played on the 'garbagized' BSG, Tom

>> Zarek, ended up being shot for treason by a firing squad headed by his

>> 'dad', Commander [by then Admiral] Adama.

>

> Richard Hatch's problem is that he's simply not very talented, as an

> actor, nor as a writer, nor as a director / producer. He's a one-bit

> wonder who was lucky enough to be given the role of Apollo in the real

> "Battlestar Galactica".


Co-starred with a robot doggie. There's a real resume enhancer.

> There are other simliar one-bit wonders who also keep trying to ressurect

> their old shows - the actor who played Avon in the original "Blake's 7"

> (no also undergoing a silly reboot, as well as an Americanisation, so

> that'll be utter rubbish) and of course David Hasselhoff with Knight

> Rider.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #55593 is a reply to message #53857] Sun, 05 May 2013 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT is currently offline  RT
Messages: 42
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
"J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV" wrote:
>

> Group: alt.battlestar-galactica Date: Thu, May 2, 2013, 4:14pm (EDT+16)

> From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)

> Richard Hatch's problem is that he's simply not very talented, as an

> actor, nor as a writer, nor as a director / producer. He's a one-bit

> wonder who was lucky enough to be given the role of Apollo in the real

> "Battlestar Galactica".

> There are other simliar one-bit wonders who also keep trying to

> ressurect their old shows - the actor who played Avon in the original

> "Blake's 7" (no also undergoing a silly reboot, as well as an

> Americanisation, so that'll be utter rubbish) and of course David

> Hasselhoff with Knight Rider.

>

> I remember seeing the amerization of Red Dwarf on one of the DVD's.

> absolutely horrific.


How was it Americanized?

> ROBBY THE GEODUCK LIVES!
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #55594 is a reply to message #53859] Sun, 05 May 2013 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT is currently offline  RT
Messages: 42
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
Your Name wrote:
>

> In article <5212-5181F058-322@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net>,

> BillV2320@webtv.net (J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV) wrote:

>> From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)

>>> Richard Hatch's problem is that he's simply not very talented, as an

>>> actor, nor as a writer, nor as a director / producer. He's a one-bit

>>> wonder who was lucky enough to be given the role of Apollo in the real

>>> "Battlestar Galactica".

>>>

>>> There are other simliar one-bit wonders who also keep trying to

>>> ressurect their old shows - the actor who played Avon in the original

>>> "Blake's 7" (no also undergoing a silly reboot, as well as an

>>> Americanisation, so that'll be utter rubbish) and of course David

>>> Hasselhoff with Knight Rider.

>>

>> I remember seeing the amerization of Red Dwarf on one of the DVD's.

>> absolutely horrific.

>

> Most Americanisation of British shows are awful - "Red Dwarf", "Doctor

> Who", and "Torchwood" are just recent examples. Even the American version

> of Sherlock is pitiful compared to the British one.


How are they Americanized? Two versions filmed? What?

> The Americanised version of "Fawlty Towers" isn't even recognisable, but

> at least they did change the name to "Cheers".


Are you insane? One is set at a HOTEL, the other a BAR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers
The popular sitcoms 3rd Rock from the Sun and Cheers (in both of which
Cleese has appeared) have cited Fawlty Towers as an inspiration,
especially regarding its depiction of a dysfunctional "family" in the
workplace. Also Arthur Mathews and Graham Linehan have cited Fawlty
Towers as a major influence on their sitcom Father Ted. Guest House on
Pakistan's PTV also resembled the series.


> Your newsreader software needs it's preferences / settings fixed - it's

> not prefixing quoted material in your replies with anything, which makes

> it difficult to se what you've typed from what you're replying to.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #55612 is a reply to message #55594] Mon, 06 May 2013 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YourName is currently offline  YourName
Messages: 366
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
In article <51872034.974647CD@hotmail.com>, RT <traRvEskyMOVE@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Your Name wrote:

>> In article <5212-5181F058-322@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net>,

>> BillV2320@webtv.net (J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV) wrote:

>>> From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)

>>>> Richard Hatch's problem is that he's simply not very talented, as an

>>>> actor, nor as a writer, nor as a director / producer. He's a one-bit

>>>> wonder who was lucky enough to be given the role of Apollo in the real

>>>> "Battlestar Galactica".

>>>>

>>>> There are other simliar one-bit wonders who also keep trying to

>>>> ressurect their old shows - the actor who played Avon in the original

>>>> "Blake's 7" (no also undergoing a silly reboot, as well as an

>>>> Americanisation, so that'll be utter rubbish) and of course David

>>>> Hasselhoff with Knight Rider.

>>>

>>> I remember seeing the amerization of Red Dwarf on one of the DVD's.

>>> absolutely horrific.

>>

>> Most Americanisation of British shows are awful - "Red Dwarf", "Doctor

>> Who", and "Torchwood" are just recent examples. Even the American version

>> of Sherlock is pitiful compared to the British one.

>

> How are they Americanized? Two versions filmed? What?


Usually the same problem they have when making silly reboots of anything:
lots of idiotic, ill-fitting changes and lots of flash, but no real
substance ... and absolutely no real understaning of the original.




>> The Americanised version of "Fawlty Towers" isn't even recognisable, but

>> at least they did change the name to "Cheers".

>

> Are you insane? One is set at a HOTEL, the other a BAR.


Don't blame me. I simply telling you what John Cleese said in a TV
interview. They apparently sold the rights for an American version of
Fawlty Towers, and the end result was Cheers.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #56361 is a reply to message #55590] Tue, 07 May 2013 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jack is currently offline  jack
Messages: 83
Registered: February 2012
Karma: 0
Member
On Sunday, May 5, 2013 10:55:58 PM UTC-4, RT wrote:
> "J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV" wrote:

>

>>

>

>> The teaser for season 2 looked very interesting. how much did they

>

>> actally film?

>

>> i think Dynamite should do a Caprica Season 2 comic and have it be

>

>> canon.

>

>> They have done some interesting stuff with classic BSG and even a

>

>> 'reimagined'

>

>> BSG '80!

>

>> If no comics then prose novels based on whatever plans they had for

>

>> season 2.

>

>> if hatch could get away with his erratic classic BSG novels 25 years

>

>> after the original, then i am SURE there are enough devoted fans who

>

>> could do some kick ass NEW BSG material.

>

>

>

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenna-busch/jane-espenson-on-g ame-of-_b_867257.html

>

>

>

> Can you give us a hint about where Caprica would have gone? So many of us

>

> were heartbroken when it was canceled. What did you learn from that

>

> experience?

>

>

>

> We had plans, but nothing had been absolutely committed to -- things like

>

> that tend to change a lot even at the last-minute, so it's hard to remember

>

> exactly what was nailed down. We were going to skip some time, go into some

>

> war stories, and do some crossing over with at least one of the Final Five

>

> cylons. Kevin Murphy gave a recent interview in which he laid out the plans

>

> in a surprising amount of detail - he remembered much more than I did. We

>

> were all trying so hard to make the "now" work, that I'm amazed we had

>

> any time to think about "then."

>

>

>

>

>

> that interview is here

>

>

>

> http://www.capricatimes.com/the-caprica-times-exclusive-inte rview-kevin-murphy




Way too bad Syfy threw in the towel on Caprica so early on, especially considering the crap they show most nights. Was an adult-drama sci-fi series that hard to get a grasp on for so many people. Granted, the first season did spend too much time on the V-world kids, but we did get a plausible model of how the AI to cylon story would play out on Caprica. Was looking forward to first contact with the Caprica cylons with their older family members out in space. Folks prefer the BSG-for-12-years-old version of the story, fine, wear out the DVDs watching it, but if you don't like the newer version, don't watch it. It's been made, it's out there, and it's like crying because it rained last week.
Re: Shame there was no Caprica Season 2. [message #77106 is a reply to message #55612] Thu, 30 May 2013 12:40 Go to previous message
RT is currently offline  RT
Messages: 42
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
Your Name wrote:
>

> In article <51872034.974647CD@hotmail.com>, RT <traRvEskyMOVE@hotmail.com>

> wrote:

>> Your Name wrote:

>>> In article <5212-5181F058-322@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net>,

>>> BillV2320@webtv.net (J.R.R. Bob Dobbs EPV) wrote:

>>>> From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)

>>>> > Richard Hatch's problem is that he's simply not very talented, as an

>>>> > actor, nor as a writer, nor as a director / producer. He's a one-bit

>>>> > wonder who was lucky enough to be given the role of Apollo in the real

>>>> > "Battlestar Galactica".

>>>> >

>>>> > There are other simliar one-bit wonders who also keep trying to

>>>> > ressurect their old shows - the actor who played Avon in the original

>>>> > "Blake's 7" (no also undergoing a silly reboot, as well as an

>>>> > Americanisation, so that'll be utter rubbish) and of course David

>>>> > Hasselhoff with Knight Rider.

>>>>

>>>> I remember seeing the amerization of Red Dwarf on one of the DVD's.

>>>> absolutely horrific.

>>>

>>> Most Americanisation of British shows are awful - "Red Dwarf", "Doctor

>>> Who", and "Torchwood" are just recent examples. Even the American version

>>> of Sherlock is pitiful compared to the British one.

>>

>> How are they Americanized? Two versions filmed? What?

>

> Usually the same problem they have when making silly reboots of anything:

> lots of idiotic, ill-fitting changes and lots of flash, but no real

> substance ... and absolutely no real understaning of the original.


Most Americanisation of British shows are awful - "Red Dwarf", "Doctor
Who", and "Torchwood" are just recent examples.

I repeat - how were these Americanized? Were two versions filmed?

>>> The Americanised version of "Fawlty Towers" isn't even recognisable, but

>>> at least they did change the name to "Cheers".

>>

>> Are you insane? One is set at a HOTEL, the other a BAR.

>

> Don't blame me. I simply telling you what John Cleese said in a TV

> interview. They apparently sold the rights for an American version of

> Fawlty Towers, and the end result was Cheers.


Link then ->
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Rowdy C's TV Trash: 10 Most Screwed Over Shows
Next Topic: Frackademia: The Art of Cussing Colonial.
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Jul 05 02:31:19 EDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00476 seconds