Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Computer Arcana » Apple » Apple II » VidHD With Apple II Desktop
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
VidHD With Apple II Desktop [message #386776] Sat, 07 September 2019 21:37 Go to next message
Tom Lake is currently offline  Tom Lake
Messages: 433
Registered: May 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Most of the things I do with the VidHD card work fine including the HRG and DHRG tests. When I try to run Apple II Desktop (looks like old Macintosh) all I get is colored garbage on the HDMI monitor. The Composite monitor displays it fine. Is my VidHD card bad? If not is there a way to run Apple II Desktop (or Mouse Desktop) on the VidHD card?
VidHD With Apple II Desktop [message #386779 is a reply to message #386776] Sun, 08 September 2019 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antoine Vignau is currently offline  Antoine Vignau
Messages: 1671
Registered: October 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Tom,
such a pgm requires DHGR monochrome.

Enter the control panel of the VidHD, select monochrome, and you are done.

The manual is @ https://www.callapple.org/docs/vidhd/VidHD_Manual_1.1.pdf

Antoine
Re: VidHD With Apple II Desktop [message #386782 is a reply to message #386779] Sun, 08 September 2019 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Lake is currently offline  Tom Lake
Messages: 433
Registered: May 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 1:51:54 AM UTC-4, Antoine Vignau wrote:
> Tom,
> such a pgm requires DHGR monochrome.
>
> Enter the control panel of the VidHD, select monochrome, and you are done..
>
> The manual is @ https://www.callapple.org/docs/vidhd/VidHD_Manual_1.1.pdf
>
> Antoine

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. Does it work for you?

Malheureusement, ça n'a pas marché pour moi. Est-ce que ça marche pour vous?

Tom L
Re: VidHD With Apple II Desktop [message #386797 is a reply to message #386782] Sun, 08 September 2019 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antoine Vignau is currently offline  Antoine Vignau
Messages: 1671
Registered: October 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Thanks for testing. I do not use a IIe, nor a VidHD, nor Apple II Desktop ;-)

Antoine
Re: VidHD With Apple II Desktop [message #386799 is a reply to message #386797] Sun, 08 September 2019 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: inexorabletash

Can you clarify "garbage" a bit more?

Are you seeing the DeskTop, but with bit patterns being interpreted as RGB instead, so the DeskTop is vaguely visible (white menu bar, gray background) but distorted, with text unreadable? This is similar to what occurs with some composite displays, but the RGB processing doubtless makes it worse. If so, the monochrome trick should work...

Or is it "garbage" as if some other chunk of memory is being displayed as the screen?

Also, which version of DeskTop are you using?

A2D/MD poke at various soft switches to trigger mono DHR mode. It's possible these are confusing VidHD.
Re: VidHD With Apple II Desktop [message #386807 is a reply to message #386799] Sun, 08 September 2019 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Lake is currently offline  Tom Lake
Messages: 433
Registered: May 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 11:55:00 AM UTC-4, inexora...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can you clarify "garbage" a bit more?
>
> Are you seeing the DeskTop, but with bit patterns being interpreted as RGB instead, so the DeskTop is vaguely visible (white menu bar, gray background) but distorted, with text unreadable? This is similar to what occurs with some composite displays, but the RGB processing doubtless makes it worse. If so, the monochrome trick should work...
>
> Or is it "garbage" as if some other chunk of memory is being displayed as the screen?
> It looks like some random area of memory. I actually got it to work once but it hasn't worked since even though I didn't change the setting from the time it worked.
I use desktop 1.1

> Also, which version of DeskTop are you using?
>
> A2D/MD poke at various soft switches to trigger mono DHR mode. It's possible these are confusing VidHD.
Re: VidHD With Apple II Desktop [message #386849 is a reply to message #386807] Mon, 09 September 2019 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Lake is currently offline  Tom Lake
Messages: 433
Registered: May 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 5:44:21 PM UTC-4, Tom Lake wrote:
> On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 11:55:00 AM UTC-4, inexora...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Can you clarify "garbage" a bit more?
>>
>> Are you seeing the DeskTop, but with bit patterns being interpreted as RGB instead, so the DeskTop is vaguely visible (white menu bar, gray background) but distorted, with text unreadable? This is similar to what occurs with some composite displays, but the RGB processing doubtless makes it worse. If so, the monochrome trick should work...
>>
>> Or is it "garbage" as if some other chunk of memory is being displayed as the screen?
>> It looks like some random area of memory. I actually got it to work once but it hasn't worked since even though I didn't change the setting from the time it worked.
> I use desktop 1.1
>
>> Also, which version of DeskTop are you using?
>>
>> A2D/MD poke at various soft switches to trigger mono DHR mode. It's possible these are confusing VidHD.

Actually, now that I look at it more closely, it appears to change as the desktop image changes. I have the composite monitor displaying at the same time and I can see as the screen changes the same areas of the hi res "garbage" display changes too - to new garbage.
Re: VidHD With Apple II Desktop [message #386856 is a reply to message #386849] Tue, 10 September 2019 11:00 Go to previous message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: fadden

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 7:11:16 PM UTC-7, Tom Lake wrote:
> Actually, now that I look at it more closely, it appears to change as the desktop image changes. I have the composite monitor displaying at the same time and I can see as the screen changes the same areas of the hi res "garbage" display changes too - to new garbage.

One of the best ways to file a bug report for a problem like this is to capture a video with a smartphone and post it on youtube (unlisted).

I spent a lot of time diagnosing problems like this in a previous job. Some problems you can look at and know exactly what they are based on how the garbage looks and moves as the screen updates.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Come play some trivia on Captain's Quarter's BBS!
Next Topic: Emulate an Altair 8800 on your Apple II
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Oct 17 01:21:37 EDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00666 seconds