Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Computer Arcana » Apple » PowerPC Macs » Migration to Intel
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Migration to Intel [message #373343] Thu, 06 September 2018 12:28 Go to next message
smac0031 is currently offline  smac0031
Messages: 55
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
My G5 recently died. I bought and ancient intel.

I tried using the Migration Assistant to migrate from the G5. I kept
getting and error that the G5,
running 10.5.8 I think, the most advanced system X needed to be upgraded.
Obviously not being
possible I took the G5 drives and put them in the Intel and I was able to
migrate that way.

I still have problems with permissions. For instance the Intel won't let me
into my music folder
telling me I don't have permission. I'm fairly sure I'm using the system
administrator account so
I don't get it. There are other users in the user section of the system
preferences but they are
dimmed.

Another problem is with my ancient Brother HL-1440 printer. It's extinct
but it still works fine except
not with this newer computer. I downloaded something called a CUPS driver
and the directions.
I enter the first command in Terminal and then it goes nowhere. There are
supposed to be
printer choices depending on the drivers installed. There are none.
According to the documentation
this drive is supposed to work with this computer and this OS and this
printer. There error I get
is there is no printer connected.

I also have and Epson V300 scanner which is a nice scanner. It has control
buttons one of which is
the power on/off and another which automatically scans PDFs. That was
really handy. Naturally this
doesn't work now. I got the latest driver for it and the I have to use the
software in a work around
and the first page is always more or less square and every other page
afterward is crooked no
matter what I do. My late Father did a genealogical study of our family and
I'm trying to scan the
damn thing. There are over 150 pages and this is not working.

Also this thing is running El Capitan. This is one of the early PowerMac
how advanced system
software should I upgrade it to. This is a legacy computer and I am used to
running legacy
software and I don't want to get things out of whack. My favorite computer
was Digital Audio G4
which died earlier this year there was limited software for that thing, but
keeping it
contemporaneous seems to work.

Thankyou Mark M

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Migration to Intel [message #373347 is a reply to message #373343] Thu, 06 September 2018 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valter Prahlad is currently offline  Valter Prahlad
Messages: 87
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Member
Il giorno 06/09/18 18:28, "smac0031" ha scritto:

> I still have problems with permissions.
Did you repair them?
You can do it using Disk Utility:
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201560>

> Also this thing is running El Capitan.
You didn't tell us which model your Mac is.
When troubleshooting, one should give two info first: Mac model and OSX
version he's using.

Anyway I think your Mac (iMac? Mac Pro?) could maybe better run with an
older OSX version, like Snow Leopard (10.6) or Mavericks (10.9).

With an older version you might be more exposed to malware.
OTOH, your Mac should likely be faster, less memory-hungry, and you might be
more lucky with running older software and hardware.

If your hard disk is big enough, you could create another partition and
install the older OSX there. This way you cold boot into each OSX, according
to what you need to do.


--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Re: Migration to Intel [message #373348 is a reply to message #373343] Thu, 06 September 2018 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bruce Johnson is currently offline  Bruce Johnson
Messages: 319
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member


On Sep 6, 2018, at 9:28 AM, smac0031 <m.smurph001@gmail.com<mailto:m.smurph001@gmail.com>> wrote:


I still have problems with permissions. For instance the Intel won't let me into my music folder
telling me I don't have permission. I'm fairly sure I'm using the system administrator account so
I don't get it. There are other users in the user section of the system preferences but they are
dimmed.

I've occasionally run into this issue with migrated accounts. Fixing it takes a bit of Terminal-fu but it’s a quick fix.

Start terminal

You will be in your own home directory, so enter:

cd /Users

and hit return.

Then type

ls -l

And hit return (those are the letter ell not ones)

You will see something like:

dbdev2:Users johnson$ cd /Users
dbdev2:Users johnson$ ls -l
total 0
drwxrwxrwt 18 root wheel 612 Aug 28 18:03 Shared
drwxr-xr-x+ 11 helpdesk staff 374 Aug 28 11:01 helpdesk
drwxr-xr-x@ 244 johnson staff 8296 Aug 31 07:51 johnson
drwxr-xr-x@ 11 macports staff 374 Aug 28 13:48 macports
drwxr-xr-x@ 11 927885439 1391123018 374 Aug 28 13:54 thushara

Depending on how many user accounts you have on the Mac. Note which one is your home directory; in my case it’s ‘johnson’, and note what the 3rd and 4th columns are, this is your short user name and primary group name, respectively. Mine is ‘johnson’ and ‘staff’ yours may be different.


Now enter enter:

sudo chown -R username: group /Users/username

Substituting the user and group name noted above.

In my case the command would be:

sudo chown -R johnson:staff /Users/johnson

Here is an example of what happens when you do this. You will be prompted for your password. NOTHING will show on the line, if you do it wrong the command will fail with the error :

Password:
Sorry, try again.

If this is the first time you have ever used the ‘sudo’ command you may see some texts saying, essentially ‘be careful’ (1).

Like most Unix command line commands, if the command succeeds, you’ll simply be returned to the command prompt; you’ll only see a message is an error occurs.

dbdev2:Users johnson$ sudo chown -R helpdesk:staff /Users/helpdesk
Password:
dbdev2:Users johnson$


What this command does is:

sudo : Makes the system run this command as the root user, being an Administrator on the mac makes your account one that can use this command. The root user is all-powerful and can do anything to any user account on the system.

chown : Change ownership Almost always when you have an issue like you don’t have permission to access a file in your own directory after a migration, it’s because of some error in assigning ownership of the migrated files to the proper owner in the new system.

-R: apply this command recursively, ie: apply it to all files and folders in the targeted directory

username:group : the username and group who will be assigned the ownership

/Users/username : the directory you want to apply this command to.



Repair Permissions in Disk Utility does NOT do this; the permissions it repairs has to do with Applications and System software only. I have only ever twice in my career actually run into a problem where running Disk Permissions actually fixed the problem I was having. Fix Disk Permissions was really only ever a tool that was stuck into OS X starting with OS X 10.2 to fix a problem that only really existed in OS X 10.1.5.

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2013/08/15/repairing-permissions-is- useless/

(1) (If you’re really lucky, you’ll see:

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things: #1) Respect the privacy of others. #2) Think before you type. #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

but at some point Apple removed that verbiage, probably because Marvel objected.)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy
Information Technology Group

Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Migration to Intel [message #373475 is a reply to message #373343] Tue, 11 September 2018 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smac0031 is currently offline  smac0031
Messages: 55
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
I got as far as cd /Users then the next thing was command not found.

Mark M

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 12:28:38 PM UTC-4, smac0031 wrote:
>
> My G5 recently died. I bought and ancient intel.
>
> I tried using the Migration Assistant to migrate from the G5. I kept
> getting and error that the G5,
> running 10.5.8 I think, the most advanced system X needed to be upgraded.
> Obviously not being
> possible I took the G5 drives and put them in the Intel and I was able to
> migrate that way.
>
> I still have problems with permissions. For instance the Intel won't let
> me into my music folder
> telling me I don't have permission. I'm fairly sure I'm using the system
> administrator account so
> I don't get it. There are other users in the user section of the system
> preferences but they are
> dimmed.
>
> Another problem is with my ancient Brother HL-1440 printer. It's extinct
> but it still works fine except
> not with this newer computer. I downloaded something called a CUPS driver
> and the directions.
> I enter the first command in Terminal and then it goes nowhere. There are
> supposed to be
> printer choices depending on the drivers installed. There are none.
> According to the documentation
> this drive is supposed to work with this computer and this OS and this
> printer. There error I get
> is there is no printer connected.
>
> I also have and Epson V300 scanner which is a nice scanner. It has control
> buttons one of which is
> the power on/off and another which automatically scans PDFs. That was
> really handy. Naturally this
> doesn't work now. I got the latest driver for it and the I have to use the
> software in a work around
> and the first page is always more or less square and every other page
> afterward is crooked no
> matter what I do. My late Father did a genealogical study of our family
> and I'm trying to scan the
> damn thing. There are over 150 pages and this is not working.
>
> Also this thing is running El Capitan. This is one of the early PowerMac
> how advanced system
> software should I upgrade it to. This is a legacy computer and I am used
> to running legacy
> software and I don't want to get things out of whack. My favorite computer
> was Digital Audio G4
> which died earlier this year there was limited software for that thing,
> but keeping it
> contemporaneous seems to work.
>
> Thankyou Mark M
>

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Migration to Intel [message #373477 is a reply to message #373475] Tue, 11 September 2018 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lawrence David Eden is currently offline  Lawrence David Eden
Messages: 18
Registered: October 2012
Karma: 0
Junior Member
Mark,

Have you contacted Brother about new drivers? https://www.brother-usa.com/support-search#q=HL1440 <https://www.brother-usa.com/support-search#q=HL1440>

Larry Eden

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 1:42 PM, smac0031 <m.smurph001@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I got as far as cd /Users then the next thing was command not found.
>
> Mark M
>
> On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 12:28:38 PM UTC-4, smac0031 wrote:
> My G5 recently died. I bought and ancient intel.
>
> I tried using the Migration Assistant to migrate from the G5. I kept getting and error that the G5,
> running 10.5.8 I think, the most advanced system X needed to be upgraded. Obviously not being
> possible I took the G5 drives and put them in the Intel and I was able to migrate that way.
>
> I still have problems with permissions. For instance the Intel won't let me into my music folder
> telling me I don't have permission. I'm fairly sure I'm using the system administrator account so
> I don't get it. There are other users in the user section of the system preferences but they are
> dimmed.
>
> Another problem is with my ancient Brother HL-1440 printer. It's extinct but it still works fine except
> not with this newer computer. I downloaded something called a CUPS driver and the directions.
> I enter the first command in Terminal and then it goes nowhere. There are supposed to be
> printer choices depending on the drivers installed. There are none. According to the documentation
> this drive is supposed to work with this computer and this OS and this printer. There error I get
> is there is no printer connected.
>
> I also have and Epson V300 scanner which is a nice scanner. It has control buttons one of which is
> the power on/off and another which automatically scans PDFs. That was really handy. Naturally this
> doesn't work now. I got the latest driver for it and the I have to use the software in a work around
> and the first page is always more or less square and every other page afterward is crooked no
> matter what I do. My late Father did a genealogical study of our family and I'm trying to scan the
> damn thing. There are over 150 pages and this is not working.
>
> Also this thing is running El Capitan. This is one of the early PowerMac how advanced system
> software should I upgrade it to. This is a legacy computer and I am used to running legacy
> software and I don't want to get things out of whack. My favorite computer was Digital Audio G4
> which died earlier this year there was limited software for that thing, but keeping it
> contemporaneous seems to work.
>
> Thankyou Mark M
>
> --
> --
> You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
> The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml <http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml> and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml <http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml>
> To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list <http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list>
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Migration to Intel [message #373478 is a reply to message #373475] Tue, 11 September 2018 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bruce Johnson is currently offline  Bruce Johnson
Messages: 319
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member


On Sep 11, 2018, at 10:42 AM, smac0031 <m.smurph001@gmail.com<mailto:m.smurph001@gmail.com>> wrote:

I got as far as cd /Users then the next thing was command not found.

Mark M

Did it look like this?

dbdev2:~ johnson$ cd /Users
dbdev2:Users johnson$ ls-l
-bash: ls-l: command not found
dbdev2:Users johnson$

There is a space between ‘ls’ and ‘-l’ this is a common typo/mistake. command in terminal are quite specific; they must be entered exactly.

‘ls’ is the command for listing a directory. -l is a sub-command meaning 'show a long listing’

dbdev2:Users johnson$ ls
Shared helpdesk johnson macports thushara
dbdev2:Users johnson$ ls -l
total 0
drwxrwxrwt 18 root wheel 612 Aug 28 18:03 Shared
drwxr-xr-x+ 11 helpdesk staff 374 Aug 28 11:01 helpdesk
drwxr-xr-x@ 244 johnson staff 8296 Aug 31 07:51 johnson
drwxr-xr-x@ 11 macports staff 374 Aug 28 13:48 macports
drwxr-xr-x@ 11 927885439 1391123018 374 Aug 28 13:54 thushara


--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy
Information Technology Group

Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Migration to Intel [message #373479 is a reply to message #373477] Tue, 11 September 2018 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bruce Johnson is currently offline  Bruce Johnson
Messages: 319
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member


On Sep 11, 2018, at 11:29 AM, Lawrence David Eden <ldeden@comcast.net<mailto:ldeden@comcast.net>> wrote:

Mark,

Have you contacted Brother about new drivers? https://www.brother-usa.com/support-search#q=HL1440


Yes, actually Brother offers drivers for Yosemite which should work just fine in El Capitan:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lan g=en&prod=hl1440_all

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy
Information Technology Group

Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Re: Migration to Intel [message #374275 is a reply to message #373343] Tue, 02 October 2018 16:44 Go to previous message
smac0031 is currently offline  smac0031
Messages: 55
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Member
I think the reason nothing is working is because I put the boot drive from
my g5 into intel so I could do the migration.
I think it got crossed somehow. Everything sort of works, but not like it
should.

I have a 10.5 install DVD and I'm going to try installing that on a new
clean hard drive.

Both times I've messed with the terminal it hasn't worked. I tried the
directions to add a CUPS printer I found online, and
then the other fix for the screwed up permissions. I'm on to plan C.

Mark

--
--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "G-Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to g3-5-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: SSD issue [solved] -- just FYI
Next Topic: File sharing problem in Tiger
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 20 03:27:12 EDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00385 seconds