Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Computer Arcana » Computer Folklore » Anyone seen this Universal Cross-Assembler?
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Anyone seen this Universal Cross-Assembler? [message #413104] Sat, 22 January 2022 23:13 Go to next message
apl.explorer is currently offline  apl.explorer
Messages: 9
Registered: June 2013
Karma: 0
Junior Member
Hi.
William Gallant here.
Stumbled upon -
"How To Write a Universal Cross-Assembler by
J. Robert Heath and
Shailesh M. Patel some time ago.
Runs on DEC PDP-11/40 with RSTS-11 OS using Basic-Plus.
Typed it in after snipping from the PDF. Didn't take long.
I hope to understand it better. I'll probably translate the algorithm(s) behind
the program into another language. Anyone seen these things before
written in simple to understand languages? The article
is on IEEE and ResearchGate. ( Article uses intel 8080 mnemonics ).

- William
Re: Anyone seen this Universal Cross-Assembler? [message #413105 is a reply to message #413104] Sun, 23 January 2022 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahem A Rivet's Shot is currently offline  Ahem A Rivet's Shot
Messages: 4542
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 20:13:13 -0800 (PST)
William Gallant <sigma.research@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone seen these things before
> written in simple to understand languages? The article
> is on IEEE and ResearchGate. ( Article uses intel 8080 mnemonics ).

In the early 1980s I wrote a remote debugging tool for games
consoles that included a table driven assembler/disassembler with tables
for several processors including Z80, 6502, CP1610 (that's a weird one, 10
bit instructions and the data bus can be 10-16 bits wide so that cheap 5 bit
ROMs could be used alongside 16 bit RAM) and a few others. That was written
in C - and was probably far from simple and elegant since it was also my
first work in C - the employer knew that, I was given a photocopy of the
reference section of the original K&R to learn C from while waiting for the
compiler to arrive. Once the framework was good the work consisted of
making dongles (fake cartridges with RAM, ROM and a serial port) for
various games consoles and filling in the tables for whatever obscure CPU
they used.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Re: Anyone seen this Universal Cross-Assembler? [message #413106 is a reply to message #413104] Sun, 23 January 2022 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Bob Eager

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 20:13:13 -0800, William Gallant wrote:

> Hi.
> William Gallant here.
> Stumbled upon -
> "How To Write a Universal Cross-Assembler by J. Robert Heath and
> Shailesh M. Patel some time ago.
> Runs on DEC PDP-11/40 with RSTS-11 OS using Basic-Plus.
> Typed it in after snipping from the PDF. Didn't take long.
> I hope to understand it better. I'll probably translate the algorithm(s)
> behind the program into another language. Anyone seen these things
> before written in simple to understand languages? The article is on IEEE
> and ResearchGate. ( Article uses intel 8080 mnemonics ).

Meta-assemblers were around in the 1970s, if not before! Unfortunately I
haven't seen a good, portable one.


--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Re: Anyone seen this Universal Cross-Assembler? [message #413107 is a reply to message #413106] Sun, 23 January 2022 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahem A Rivet's Shot is currently offline  Ahem A Rivet's Shot
Messages: 4542
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On 23 Jan 2022 17:38:47 GMT
Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:

> Meta-assemblers were around in the 1970s, if not before! Unfortunately I
> haven't seen a good, portable one.

The worst I've seen are macro assemblers tortured into supporting
another CPU by defining macros for all the instructions.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Re: Anyone seen this Universal Cross-Assembler? [message #413108 is a reply to message #413107] Sun, 23 January 2022 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harry Vaderchi is currently offline  Harry Vaderchi
Messages: 622
Registered: July 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 18:50:50 +0000
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2022 17:38:47 GMT
> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
>
>> Meta-assemblers were around in the 1970s, if not before! Unfortunately I
>> haven't seen a good, portable one.
>
> The worst I've seen are macro assemblers tortured into supporting
> another CPU by defining macros for all the instructions.
>
Hey! That's my idea! Oh.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Re: Anyone seen this Universal Cross-Assembler? [message #413112 is a reply to message #413107] Mon, 24 January 2022 17:00 Go to previous message
Rich Alderson is currently offline  Rich Alderson
Messages: 452
Registered: August 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> writes:

> On 23 Jan 2022 17:38:47 GMT
> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:

>> Meta-assemblers were around in the 1970s, if not before! Unfortunately I
>> haven't seen a good, portable one.

> The worst I've seen are macro assemblers tortured into supporting
> another CPU by defining macros for all the instructions.

And yet a very successful software company was built on just such a foundation,
by a crackerjack programmer whose program was used by two others to create the
BASIC interpreter for a new microprocessor based computer. Continued in use
for nearly 20 years...

--
Rich Alderson news@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,
omnino tamen proprius, quam nunc sumus, ad eam perveniemus.
--Galen
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Is this group only about older computers?
Next Topic: A Celebration of 36bits DECUS 1984
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Mon May 16 04:21:33 EDT 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02429 seconds