Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Computer Arcana » Commodore » Commodore Emulation » vice direct .prg load
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
vice direct .prg load [message #412142] Fri, 05 November 2021 02:54 Go to next message
Simon Becherer is currently offline  Simon Becherer
Messages: 17
Registered: May 2013
Karma: 0
Junior Member
Hi,

is there a way in vice (linux) (x64 / x64-sdk) to load a file if its
on hardrive as .prg ?
on pc64 (dos) it was possible to say: "drive 8 is the directory /asdasd/asdasd"

and/or how to put a fiele from harddrive as .prg inside a virtual disk .d64
without external software?
i know its possible with midnight commander (linux)
and with starcommader (dos/windows) or other tools from third party.

thanks,

simoN
Re: vice direct .prg load [message #412146 is a reply to message #412142] Fri, 05 November 2021 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anssi Saari is currently offline  Anssi Saari
Messages: 316
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Simon Becherer <simon@becherer.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> is there a way in vice (linux) (x64 / x64-sdk) to load a file if its
> on hardrive as .prg ?
> on pc64 (dos) it was possible to say: "drive 8 is the directory /asdasd/asdasd"

In settings->host you can select the current directory. In
settings->peripheral devices->drive check box IEC-Device and select Host
File system for IEC device type. So then that drive sees the current
directory configured.

> and/or how to put a fiele from harddrive as .prg inside a virtual disk .d64
> without external software?
> i know its possible with midnight commander (linux)
> and with starcommader (dos/windows) or other tools from third party.

I hope the advice above works for you in Vice. Vice also comes with
c1541 utility which can do this sort of thing like this:

c1541 #8> format test,as d64 test.d64
formatting in unit 8 ...
c1541 #8> dir
0 "test " as 2a
Empty image
664 blocks free
c1541 #8> write hello
writing file `HELLO' as `HELLO' to unit 8
c1541 #8> dir
0 "test " as 2a
1 "hello" prg
663 blocks free.
Re: vice direct .prg load [message #412169 is a reply to message #412142] Fri, 05 November 2021 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Kohlbach is currently offline  Andreas Kohlbach
Messages: 1416
Registered: December 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 07:54:16 +0100, Simon Becherer wrote:
>
> is there a way in vice (linux) (x64 / x64-sdk) to load a file if its
> on hardrive as .prg ?
> on pc64 (dos) it was possible to say: "drive 8 is the directory /asdasd/asdasd"

A PRG file might be a cartridge. Loading this into VICE by telling it's a
cartridge/module might do the trick.

Unfortunately VICE does IIRC refuse to load it if given the wrong (or
none) size of the cartridge.

If you don't get it to work, mind to email it to me (Du kannst dann auch
Deutsch reden :-)? I will then try it in VICE and the MAME emulator I
have available.
--
Andreas
Re: vice direct .prg load [message #412247 is a reply to message #412169] Mon, 08 November 2021 13:24 Go to previous message
Simon Becherer is currently offline  Simon Becherer
Messages: 17
Registered: May 2013
Karma: 0
Junior Member
Am 05.11.21 um 18:57 schrieb Andreas Kohlbach:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 07:54:16 +0100, Simon Becherer wrote:
>>
>> is there a way in vice (linux) (x64 / x64-sdk) to load a file if its
>> on hardrive as .prg ?
>> on pc64 (dos) it was possible to say: "drive 8 is the directory /asdasd/asdasd"
>
> A PRG file might be a cartridge. Loading this into VICE by telling it's a
> cartridge/module might do the trick.
>
> Unfortunately VICE does IIRC refuse to load it if given the wrong (or
> none) size of the cartridge.
>
> If you don't get it to work, mind to email it to me (Du kannst dann auch
> Deutsch reden :-)? I will then try it in VICE and the MAME emulator I
> have available.
>

Thanks anssi,
thanks andreas,
for your reply

(andreas i will contact you over your emailadress in german
for another question)

i found it, but different as you describe :

starting from linux bash:

LANGUAGE=en_us x64-gtk

(to get english menu)

now inside the menu:

/settings/drive-settings/drive-#8-device-type/file-system/ac cess

/settings/drive-settings/drive-#8-options/enable-ICE-access

/settings/drive-settings/drive-#8-options/file-system-direct ory

(the ice-access was the culprit)

regards,

simoN
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: JiffyDos ROMS [1/4] - "Jiffydos.sfv" yEnc (0/1)
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Jan 18 17:48:29 EST 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00753 seconds