Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Computer Arcana » Apple » Apple II » Manic Miner
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Manic Miner [message #393116] Thu, 23 April 2020 17:24 Go to next message
ol.sc is currently offline  ol.sc
Messages: 181
Registered: January 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Hi,

There's Manic Miner for the Apple II :-)

Manic Miner was released in 1983 for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum - see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Miner.

In 2010 Stefan Wessels created a remake of the game for the C64 in C.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3_V-8X8J5o
Project: https://github.com/StewBC/manicminer

In 2020 he implemented a remake of the game for the Apple II in
assembler.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGxj_g1ImhM
Project: https://github.com/StewBC/mminer-apple2/
Image: https://github.com/StewBC/mminer-apple2/releases

Don't miss to read
https://github.com/StewBC/mminer-apple2/blob/master/README.m d - it
contains quite some interesting details.

Manic Miner runs on every 64kb Apple II.

The Apple II version...
- Loads from ProDOS
- Does all file I/O in the directory the game is located
- Allows to quit to the ProDOS dispatcher
- Doesn't fiddle with the Reset vector

From that perspective it should be compatible with TotalReplay out of
the box...

Regards,
Oliver
Re: Manic Miner [message #393118 is a reply to message #393116] Thu, 23 April 2020 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your Name is currently offline  Your Name
Messages: 814
Registered: September 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On 2020-04-23 21:24:32 +0000, Oliver Schmidt said:
>
> Hi,
>
> There's Manic Miner for the Apple II :-)
>
> Manic Miner was released in 1983 for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum - see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Miner.

It was also released for the C64 at around the same time.
<https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Manic_Miner>

There were also various other official versions (see the further below).



> In 2010 Stefan Wessels created a remake of the game for the C64 in C.
> Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3_V-8X8J5o
> Project: https://github.com/StewBC/manicminer

In 2018 someone was porting the game over to the Commodore VIC-20.
< https://vintageisthenewold.com/manic-miner-vic-20-port-work- in-progress-by-kweepa/>




> In 2020 he implemented a remake of the game for the Apple II in
> assembler.
> Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGxj_g1ImhM
> Project: https://github.com/StewBC/mminer-apple2/
> Image: https://github.com/StewBC/mminer-apple2/releases
>
> Don't miss to read
> https://github.com/StewBC/mminer-apple2/blob/master/README.m d - it
> contains quite some interesting details.
>
> Manic Miner runs on every 64kb Apple II.
>
> The Apple II version...
> - Loads from ProDOS
> - Does all file I/O in the directory the game is located
> - Allows to quit to the ProDOS dispatcher
> - Doesn't fiddle with the Reset vector
>
> From that perspective it should be compatible with TotalReplay out of
> the box...
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

You might want to add it to the Manic Miner page, which currently says:

Official ports exist for the Commodore 64,[10] Commodore 16,
Amstrad CPC,[11] BBC Micro, Dragon 32/64, Commodore Amiga,
Oric 1, Game Boy Advance,[12] MSX, SAM Coupe and mobile
phones.

Unofficial ports exist for the IBM PC compatibles (Windows,
DOS and Linux), Apple Macintosh, Atari ST, ZX81, TRS-80
Color Computer, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Neo Geo
Pocket Color, Acorn Archimedes, Orao, Z88, PMD 85, HP48,
Microsoft Zune[14], Acorn Atom[15], Commodore 128[16] and
Commodore VIC-20.

<https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Manic_Miner>
Re: Manic Miner [message #393356 is a reply to message #393116] Fri, 24 April 2020 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
qkumba is currently offline  qkumba
Messages: 1259
Registered: March 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
> From that perspective it should be compatible with TotalReplay out of
> the box...

Yes, I added it yesterday. No changes needed.
Re: Manic Miner [message #393360 is a reply to message #393356] Fri, 24 April 2020 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
erolfi is currently offline  erolfi
Messages: 41
Registered: December 2012
Karma: 0
Member
Il giorno venerdì 24 aprile 2020 17:38:35 UTC+2, qkumba ha scritto:
>> From that perspective it should be compatible with TotalReplay out of
>> the box...


This is a wonderful game and an Apple II port is a very nice idea.

I would like also to see and Apple IIe version with Double High Res support to avoid the scrolling solution.
Re: Manic Miner [message #393368 is a reply to message #393356] Fri, 24 April 2020 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ol.sc is currently offline  ol.sc
Messages: 181
Registered: January 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 08:38:32 -0700 (PDT), qkumba
<peter.ferrie@gmail.com> wrote:

>> From that perspective it should be compatible with TotalReplay out of
>> the box...
>
> Yes, I added it yesterday. No changes needed.

:-))

Oliver
Re: Manic Miner [message #393372 is a reply to message #393360] Sat, 25 April 2020 01:03 Go to previous message
gids.rs is currently offline  gids.rs
Messages: 1257
Registered: October 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 1:33:31 PM UTC-6, ero...@gmail.com wrote:
> Il giorno venerdì 24 aprile 2020 17:38:35 UTC+2, qkumba ha scritto:
>>> From that perspective it should be compatible with TotalReplay out of
>>> the box...
>
>
> This is a wonderful game and an Apple II port is a very nice idea.
>
> I would like also to see and Apple IIe version with Double High Res support to avoid the scrolling solution.


Dbl hi-res still only has an effective color resolution of 140 pixels, so converting it won't help.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: This topic has been hidden because you reported it for abuse.
Next Topic: IIgs RAM disk beginners question
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Jul 09 04:41:07 EDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02951 seconds