Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Computer Arcana » Computer Folklore » Epson printing problems?
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Epson printing problems? [message #392786] Mon, 06 April 2020 07:45 Go to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi

Asuspro laptop

Windows 10 64 bit

McAfee virus protection

This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
but nothing happens.

The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay

Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.

Has anyone here any clues, please?
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392790 is a reply to message #392786] Mon, 06 April 2020 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

On 06/04/2020 12:45, Gareth Evans wrote:
> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>
> Asuspro laptop
>
> Windows 10 64 bit
>
> McAfee virus protection
>
> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
> but nothing happens.
>
> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>
> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>
> Has anyone here any clues, please?

Furthermore, have got the latest Epson drivers for W10 64 bit.

Strangely, I can scan a document back to the computer so everything else
seems to be in order, but send a document to
print and it just hangs indefinitely.

I might tend to think that a motor driver component has gone
down the pan but the fact that I can do an offline copy which involves
both scanning and printing suggests that the motor drive
from the controlling micro is all in order.

Mystifying.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392791 is a reply to message #392786] Mon, 06 April 2020 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Espen is currently offline  Dan Espen
Messages: 3530
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:

> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>
> Asuspro laptop
>
> Windows 10 64 bit
>
> McAfee virus protection
>
> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
> but nothing happens.
>
> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>
> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>
> Has anyone here any clues, please?

Well, I don't use printers connected to WIFI, and I don't use Windows
but I have a little experience with it, so:

1. Reboot (printer, PC, WIFI).
2. On PC re-install drivers

There is an online video of someone with a similar problem to yours,
the PC was using a printer driver for a different model.

--
Dan Espen
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392796 is a reply to message #392791] Mon, 06 April 2020 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

On 06/04/2020 15:12, Dan Espen wrote:
> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>>
>> Asuspro laptop
>>
>> Windows 10 64 bit
>>
>> McAfee virus protection
>>
>> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
>> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
>> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
>> but nothing happens.
>>
>> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>>
>> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
>> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>>
>> Has anyone here any clues, please?
>
> Well, I don't use printers connected to WIFI, and I don't use Windows
> but I have a little experience with it, so:
>
> 1. Reboot (printer, PC, WIFI).
> 2. On PC re-install drivers
>
> There is an online video of someone with a similar problem to yours,
> the PC was using a printer driver for a different model.
>

Thanks, Dan, done all that, now need to find space on the
workbench to look for dead spiders that might have crawled in.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392798 is a reply to message #392786] Mon, 06 April 2020 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Melzzzzz

On 2020-04-06, Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>
> Asuspro laptop
>
> Windows 10 64 bit
>
> McAfee virus protection
>
> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
> but nothing happens.
>
> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>
> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>
> Has anyone here any clues, please?

Install Linux?


--
press any key to continue or any other to quit...
U ničemu ja ne uživam kao u svom statusu INVALIDA -- Zli Zec
Svi smo svedoci - oko 3 godine intenzivne propagande je dovoljno da jedan narod poludi -- Zli Zec
Na divljem zapadu i nije bilo tako puno nasilja, upravo zato jer su svi
bili naoruzani. -- Mladen Gogala
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392802 is a reply to message #392798] Mon, 06 April 2020 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie Gibbs is currently offline  Charlie Gibbs
Messages: 4743
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On 2020-04-06, Melzzzzz <Melzzzzz@zzzzz.com> wrote:

> On 2020-04-06, Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>>
>> Asuspro laptop
>>
>> Windows 10 64 bit
>>
>> McAfee virus protection
>>
>> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
>> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
>> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
>> but nothing happens.
>>
>> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>>
>> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
>> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>>
>> Has anyone here any clues, please?
>
> Install Linux?

If that solution works for you, please let me know what you did
to make it work. Printer access from my Linux box ranges from
flaky to nonexistent, so I usually just rsync the file in question
over to my wife's Mac and let her print it from there. I suspect
an addressing problem - CUPS and DHCP don't seem to be talking to
each other.

I don't do that much printing myself, so I've never cared enough
to go to the effort required to sort it out.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.
X I'm really at ac.dekanfrus | Linux is anarchy.
/ \ if you read it the right way. | Pick your poison.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392803 is a reply to message #392798] Mon, 06 April 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Flass is currently offline  Peter Flass
Messages: 7558
Registered: December 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Melzzzzz <Melzzzzz@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On 2020-04-06, Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>>
>> Asuspro laptop
>>
>> Windows 10 64 bit
>>
>> McAfee virus protection
>>
>> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
>> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
>> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
>> but nothing happens.
>>
>> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>>
>> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
>> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>>
>> Has anyone here any clues, please?
>
> Install Linux?
>
>

I’d agree, but I’ve just been fighting my own problems with deja-dup, so I
can’t.

--
Pete
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392804 is a reply to message #392802] Mon, 06 April 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Flass is currently offline  Peter Flass
Messages: 7558
Registered: December 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:
> On 2020-04-06, Melzzzzz <Melzzzzz@zzzzz.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-04-06, Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>>>
>>> Asuspro laptop
>>>
>>> Windows 10 64 bit
>>>
>>> McAfee virus protection
>>>
>>> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
>>> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
>>> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
>>> but nothing happens.
>>>
>>> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>>>
>>> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
>>> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>>>
>>> Has anyone here any clues, please?
>>
>> Install Linux?
>
> If that solution works for you, please let me know what you did
> to make it work. Printer access from my Linux box ranges from
> flaky to nonexistent, so I usually just rsync the file in question
> over to my wife's Mac and let her print it from there. I suspect
> an addressing problem - CUPS and DHCP don't seem to be talking to
> each other.
>
> I don't do that much printing myself, so I've never cared enough
> to go to the effort required to sort it out.
>

Never had a problem myself, I’ve got an HP hard-wired and a Brother laser
connected with wifi, and they both work mostly flawlessly. Occasionally I
have to reset the wifi adapter on the Brother.

--
Pete
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392814 is a reply to message #392796] Mon, 06 April 2020 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Espen is currently offline  Dan Espen
Messages: 3530
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 06/04/2020 15:12, Dan Espen wrote:
>> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>>>
>>> Asuspro laptop
>>>
>>> Windows 10 64 bit
>>>
>>> McAfee virus protection
>>>
>>> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
>>> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
>>> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
>>> but nothing happens.
>>>
>>> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>>>
>>> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
>>> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>>>
>>> Has anyone here any clues, please?
>>
>> Well, I don't use printers connected to WIFI, and I don't use Windows
>> but I have a little experience with it, so:
>>
>> 1. Reboot (printer, PC, WIFI).
>> 2. On PC re-install drivers
>>
>> There is an online video of someone with a similar problem to yours,
>> the PC was using a printer driver for a different model.
>
> Thanks, Dan, done all that, now need to find space on the
> workbench to look for dead spiders that might have crawled in.

I see you're getting the "use Linux" treatment.
It warms my heart.

:)

Let's see, on my Linux system I'd look to see if the document was making
it to the printer. Does the PC side see the printer go from "Printing"
to "Idle"? Are your PC drivers reporting any error message in the logs?

Does the printer let you look at it's queue?

Has anything changed? Like your router?

Did you reinstall the drivers and try a test page?

Why does my spell checker think reinstall is not a word?

--
Dan Espen
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392817 is a reply to message #392814] Mon, 06 April 2020 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott is currently offline  scott
Messages: 3713
Registered: February 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> writes:

>
> Why does my spell checker think reinstall is not a word?

Should it not be hyphenated?
Re: Epson printing problems? - reinstall vs re-install [message #392818 is a reply to message #392817] Mon, 06 April 2020 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Espen is currently offline  Dan Espen
Messages: 3530
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

> Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>
>> Why does my spell checker think reinstall is not a word?
>
> Should it not be hyphenated?

I guess that makes the spell checker happy...re-install.
Now Google says:

Did you mean: reinstall


Then the dictionary goes off the deep end:

Dictionary
re·in·stall
/ˌrēinˈstôl/
Learn to pronounce
verb
verb: re-install

place or fix (equipment or machinery) in position again.
install (computer software) again.
"I reinstalled the program"

noun
noun: re-install

an act of reinstalling something, especially software.
"try performing a “clean” reinstall of your system software"





--
Dan Espen
Re: Epson printing problems? - reinstall vs re-install [message #392821 is a reply to message #392818] Mon, 06 April 2020 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Flass is currently offline  Peter Flass
Messages: 7558
Registered: December 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> wrote:
> scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:
>
>> Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>
>>> Why does my spell checker think reinstall is not a word?
>>
>> Should it not be hyphenated?
>
> I guess that makes the spell checker happy...re-install.
> Now Google says:
>
> Did you mean: reinstall
>
>
> Then the dictionary goes off the deep end:
>
> Dictionary
> re·in·stall
> /ˌrēinˈstôl/
> Learn to pronounce
> verb
> verb: re-install
>
> place or fix (equipment or machinery) in position again.
> install (computer software) again.
> "I reinstalled the program"
>
> noun
> noun: re-install
>
> an act of reinstalling something, especially software.
> "try performing a “clean” reinstall of your system software"
>

I’m constantly adding words to my dictionary.

--
Pete
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392828 is a reply to message #392786] Tue, 07 April 2020 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Vowels is currently offline  Robin Vowels
Messages: 288
Registered: July 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 9:46:04 PM UTC+10, Gareth Evans wrote:
> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>
> Asuspro laptop
>
> Windows 10 64 bit
>
> McAfee virus protection
>
> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
> but nothing happens.
>
> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>
> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>
> Has anyone here any clues, please?

Kill the print job.

Try pulling out the USB connection from the computer,
and re-insert it. (computer switched on, of course).

Same for printer (if possible).

That worked for me last week with a different printer
that had been working for yonks.

If you had a cable connection, I could suggest replacing the cable
(that worked for me). I replaced the cable with a slightly shorter one.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392833 is a reply to message #392814] Tue, 07 April 2020 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

On 06/04/2020 23:26, Dan Espen wrote:
> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> On 06/04/2020 15:12, Dan Espen wrote:
>>> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>>>
>>>> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>>>>
>>>> Asuspro laptop
>>>>
>>>> Windows 10 64 bit
>>>>
>>>> McAfee virus protection
>>>>
>>>> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
>>>> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
>>>> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
>>>> but nothing happens.
>>>>
>>>> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>>>>
>>>> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
>>>> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>>>>
>>>> Has anyone here any clues, please?
>>>
>>> Well, I don't use printers connected to WIFI, and I don't use Windows
>>> but I have a little experience with it, so:
>>>
>>> 1. Reboot (printer, PC, WIFI).
>>> 2. On PC re-install drivers
>>>
>>> There is an online video of someone with a similar problem to yours,
>>> the PC was using a printer driver for a different model.
>>
>> Thanks, Dan, done all that, now need to find space on the
>> workbench to look for dead spiders that might have crawled in.
>
> I see you're getting the "use Linux" treatment.
> It warms my heart.
>
> :)
>
> Let's see, on my Linux system I'd look to see if the document was making
> it to the printer. Does the PC side see the printer go from "Printing"
> to "Idle"? Are your PC drivers reporting any error message in the logs?
>
> Does the printer let you look at it's queue?
>
> Has anything changed? Like your router?
>
> Did you reinstall the drivers and try a test page?
>
> Why does my spell checker think reinstall is not a word?
>

The behaviour of the printer is the same, both from a W10 laptop and
also from a W7 laptop. In both cases it has been
printing OK for over a year but now when a file is sent to it,
the LCD screen on the printer shows, "printing ..." but apart
from a couple of clunks and whizzes nothing further happens.

I've had the printer on the workbench with a supply of air to
give it a good blow through and can see nothing lodged inside
although very little is visible of the innards.

Again, if I use the printer in local mode to do a photocopy,
it works fine, suggesting that control from the microprocessor
is all in order.

Via the network, both on W10 and W7 machines I can interrogate
the ink levels and scan documents to load into the laptops.

I've ensured that there is a sufficiently large tranche of paper in the to.

I've done an extensive google search for faults on this model but have
found nothing of use.

This makes me hark back to the days of 50 years ago when
blinkenlights were all the rage. Back then, if something were
amiss you could drill down to ever-decreasing lower levels
until you found the fault but nowadays? You're faced with
layer upon layer of others' inscrutable software with no
help at all apart from an error message saying that the
printer could not print the page. GRRRR!!!!!!

Come back the PDP8e and PDP11/20, all is forgiven!
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392836 is a reply to message #392786] Tue, 07 April 2020 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott is currently offline  scott
Messages: 3713
Registered: February 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Dave Garland <dave.garland@wizinfo.com> writes:
> On 4/6/2020 3:28 PM, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 17:22:52 GMT, Melzzzzz wrote:
>>>
>>> On 2020-04-06, Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>>>>
>>>> Asuspro laptop
>>>>
>>>> Windows 10 64 bit
>>>>
>>>> McAfee virus protection
>>>>
>>>> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
>>>> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
>>>> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
>>>> but nothing happens.
>>>>
>>>> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>>>>
>>>> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
>>>> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>>>>
>>>> Has anyone here any clues, please?
>>>
>>> Install Linux?
>>
>> Get a USB-stick Linux, like Ubuntu. Install it on the USB-stick, boot
>> from it and see,of the problem persist. If not, install Linux.
>>
>
> My experience with all-in-one printers under Linux suggests that
> getting them working can be challenging (and the printer mfgr will say
> "we don't support that"). But it was working for him before.

HP Printers work well with linux, even the all-in-ones.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392839 is a reply to message #392786] Tue, 07 April 2020 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pechter is currently offline  pechter
Messages: 452
Registered: July 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
In article <r6gq1g$h28$1@dont-email.me>,
Dave Garland <dave.garland@wizinfo.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/2020 3:28 PM, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 17:22:52 GMT, Melzzzzz wrote:
>>>
>>> On 2020-04-06, Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>> Epson WF-2510 printer, driven by WiFi
>>>>
>>>> Asuspro laptop
>>>>
>>>> Windows 10 64 bit
>>>>
>>>> McAfee virus protection
>>>>
>>>> This setup had been working fine for over a year but when I came today
>>>> to print, nothing happens. The LCD on the printer indicates
>>>> that it is printing, as does the printer queue on Windows,
>>>> but nothing happens.
>>>>
>>>> The ink-level screen does report back OK after a short delay
>>>>
>>>> Using the printer off-line and it copies documents OK, paper
>>>> feeds and printing, so mechanically everything seems in order.
>>>>
>>>> Has anyone here any clues, please?
>>>
>>> Install Linux?
>>
>> Get a USB-stick Linux, like Ubuntu. Install it on the USB-stick, boot
>> from it and see,of the problem persist. If not, install Linux.
>>
>
> My experience with all-in-one printers under Linux suggests that
> getting them working can be challenging (and the printer mfgr will say
> "we don't support that"). But it was working for him before.
>
> Sometimes a problem wedges the print queue in Win, and you have to
> clear it manually (because it may survive a reboot) and start again.
> Also, make sure the printer is selected as the default in Win and the
> printing isn't going to one of those Win pseudo-devices. Try the
> routine for "print a test page". DL fresh drivers from Epson website.
> Try printing via USB instead of WiFi.
>
> I hate all-in-ones.
>

One good thing is the Brother multifunctions all work on x86 linux.
They even have a shell script to download the .deb files for debian/ubuntu
and install them for you. They also support the .rpm installers as well.

The support includes scanning under linux as well as printing. I wish I had the same support on FreeBSD and on Raspberry Pi's with their Arm processors.

Bill
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392840 is a reply to message #392786] Tue, 07 April 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: maus

On 2020-04-07, Dave Garland <dave.garland@wizinfo.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/2020 3:28 PM, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 17:22:52 GMT, Melzzzzz wrote:
>>>
>
> My experience with all-in-one printers under Linux suggests that
> getting them working can be challenging (and the printer mfgr will say
> "we don't support that"). But it was working for him before.
>
> Sometimes a problem wedges the print queue in Win, and you have to
> clear it manually (because it may survive a reboot) and start again.
> Also, make sure the printer is selected as the default in Win and the
> printing isn't going to one of those Win pseudo-devices. Try the
> routine for "print a test page". DL fresh drivers from Epson website.
> Try printing via USB instead of WiFi.
>
> I hate all-in-ones.
>
++1, not only with computers


--
greymaus
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392843 is a reply to message #392840] Tue, 07 April 2020 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Kerr-Mudd,John

On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 18:09:06 GMT, maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:

> On 2020-04-07, Dave Garland <dave.garland@wizinfo.com> wrote:
[]
>> Try printing via USB instead of WiFi.
>>
>> I hate all-in-ones.
>>
> ++1, not only with computers
>
>
I think they called "onesies" now


--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392850 is a reply to message #392833] Tue, 07 April 2020 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Vowels is currently offline  Robin Vowels
Messages: 288
Registered: July 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 11:26:49 PM UTC+10, Gareth Evans wrote:

> The behaviour of the printer is the same, both from a W10 laptop and
> also from a W7 laptop. In both cases it has been
> printing OK for over a year but now when a file is sent to it,
> the LCD screen on the printer shows, "printing ..." but apart
> from a couple of clunks and whizzes nothing further happens.
>
> I've had the printer on the workbench with a supply of air to
> give it a good blow through and can see nothing lodged inside
> although very little is visible of the innards.
>
> Again, if I use the printer in local mode to do a photocopy,
> it works fine, suggesting that control from the microprocessor
> is all in order.
>
> Via the network, both on W10 and W7 machines I can interrogate
> the ink levels and scan documents to load into the laptops.
>
> I've ensured that there is a sufficiently large tranche of paper in the to.
>
> I've done an extensive google search for faults on this model but have
> found nothing of use.

Have you substituted a USB cable for the WiFi ?
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392858 is a reply to message #392786] Wed, 08 April 2020 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

On 08/04/2020 00:28, Dave Garland wrote:
> On 4/7/2020 10:05 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Dave Garland <dave.garland@wizinfo.com> writes:
>
>>>
>>> My experience with all-in-one printers under Linux suggests that
>>> getting them working can be challenging (and the printer mfgr will say
>>> "we don't support that"). But it was working for him before.
>>
>> HP Printers work well with linux, even the all-in-ones.
>
> They work better. Though I had to hunt online to find an unofficial
> driver for my 2605dn and 4000 printers over the LAN. But those are
> serious (if elderly) printers. Gareth has a consumer-grade Epson
> connected with Wifi, and I'm not gonna tell him he needs to buy a new
> printer. It was working before, and the "copy" function works ok so the
> paper handling and printing mechanics must not be borked.
>
>

As it happens, I have ordered a newer printer as the WF2510 is
no longer listed, and when my several work benches have been
cleared to make enough room, then I'll attempt disassembly to
look for dry joints, dead spiders, etc, purely out of
interest as its purpose in life will have been surpassed
by the newer printer.

But thankyou to all who have responded

I have used Linux in a number of contract software jobs but having cut
my teeth on naked blinkenlights machines where you had to write your own
OS, and subsequently been exposed to
loads of other OSs, ISIS on Intel gear, OS/32 on Perkin Elmer,
MSDOS on PCs, CP/M on 8 bit machines,
RSX11-M and RSX11-S on PDP11s, to me Linux is just another OS
with nothing in particular to recommend it; it is just so
much of a muchness.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392859 is a reply to message #392850] Wed, 08 April 2020 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

On 08/04/2020 03:51, robin.vowels@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 11:26:49 PM UTC+10, Gareth Evans wrote:
>
>> The behaviour of the printer is the same, both from a W10 laptop and
>> also from a W7 laptop. In both cases it has been
>> printing OK for over a year but now when a file is sent to it,
>> the LCD screen on the printer shows, "printing ..." but apart
>> from a couple of clunks and whizzes nothing further happens.
>>
>> I've had the printer on the workbench with a supply of air to
>> give it a good blow through and can see nothing lodged inside
>> although very little is visible of the innards.
>>
>> Again, if I use the printer in local mode to do a photocopy,
>> it works fine, suggesting that control from the microprocessor
>> is all in order.
>>
>> Via the network, both on W10 and W7 machines I can interrogate
>> the ink levels and scan documents to load into the laptops.
>>
>> I've ensured that there is a sufficiently large tranche of paper in the to.
>>
>> I've done an extensive google search for faults on this model but have
>> found nothing of use.
>
> Have you substituted a USB cable for the WiFi ?
>

No, I am not set up to do that.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392872 is a reply to message #392858] Wed, 08 April 2020 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Flass is currently offline  Peter Flass
Messages: 7558
Registered: December 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 08/04/2020 00:28, Dave Garland wrote:
>> On 4/7/2020 10:05 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>>> Dave Garland <dave.garland@wizinfo.com> writes:
>>
>>>>
>>>> My experience with all-in-one printers under Linux suggests that
>>>> getting them working can be challenging (and the printer mfgr will say
>>>> "we don't support that"). But it was working for him before.
>>>
>>> HP Printers work well with linux, even the all-in-ones.
>>
>> They work better. Though I had to hunt online to find an unofficial
>> driver for my 2605dn and 4000 printers over the LAN. But those are
>> serious (if elderly) printers. Gareth has a consumer-grade Epson
>> connected with Wifi, and I'm not gonna tell him he needs to buy a new
>> printer. It was working before, and the "copy" function works ok so the
>> paper handling and printing mechanics must not be borked.
>>
>>
>
> As it happens, I have ordered a newer printer as the WF2510 is
> no longer listed, and when my several work benches have been
> cleared to make enough room, then I'll attempt disassembly to
> look for dry joints, dead spiders, etc, purely out of
> interest as its purpose in life will have been surpassed
> by the newer printer.
>
> But thankyou to all who have responded
>
> I have used Linux in a number of contract software jobs but having cut
> my teeth on naked blinkenlights machines where you had to write your own
> OS, and subsequently been exposed to
> loads of other OSs, ISIS on Intel gear, OS/32 on Perkin Elmer,
> MSDOS on PCs, CP/M on 8 bit machines,
> RSX11-M and RSX11-S on PDP11s, to me Linux is just another OS
> with nothing in particular to recommend it; it is just so
> much of a muchness.
>
>

I suppose windows is the next-best thing to no OS at all ;-)

--
Pete
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392892 is a reply to message #392858] Wed, 08 April 2020 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Espen is currently offline  Dan Espen
Messages: 3530
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 08/04/2020 00:28, Dave Garland wrote:
>> On 4/7/2020 10:05 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>>> Dave Garland <dave.garland@wizinfo.com> writes:
>>
>>>>
>>>> My experience with all-in-one printers under Linux suggests that
>>>> getting them working can be challenging (and the printer mfgr will say
>>>> "we don't support that"). But it was working for him before.
>>>
>>> HP Printers work well with linux, even the all-in-ones.
>>
>> They work better. Though I had to hunt online to find an unofficial
>> driver for my 2605dn and 4000 printers over the LAN. But those are
>> serious (if elderly) printers. Gareth has a consumer-grade Epson
>> connected with Wifi, and I'm not gonna tell him he needs to buy a
>> new printer. It was working before, and the "copy" function works ok
>> so the paper handling and printing mechanics must not be borked.
>>
>>
>
> As it happens, I have ordered a newer printer as the WF2510 is
> no longer listed, and when my several work benches have been
> cleared to make enough room, then I'll attempt disassembly to
> look for dry joints, dead spiders, etc, purely out of
> interest as its purpose in life will have been surpassed
> by the newer printer.
>
> But thankyou to all who have responded
>
> I have used Linux in a number of contract software jobs but having cut
> my teeth on naked blinkenlights machines where you had to write your
> own OS, and subsequently been exposed to
> loads of other OSs, ISIS on Intel gear, OS/32 on Perkin Elmer,
> MSDOS on PCs, CP/M on 8 bit machines,
> RSX11-M and RSX11-S on PDP11s, to me Linux is just another OS
> with nothing in particular to recommend it; it is just so
> much of a muchness.

Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
naked blinkenlights.

I was once faced with a Windows Laptop that would boot, and half way
through the boot process, it would just boot again. I had no idea what
the problem was. So, I booted from a Linux CD, Linux then looked at the
hard disk and told me it was bad.

I've got my printer shared by way of Samba.
WIFI devices should be able to print to it.
Not sure how to print to it with my tablet and phone.

--
Dan Espen
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392897 is a reply to message #392858] Wed, 08 April 2020 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Vowels is currently offline  Robin Vowels
Messages: 288
Registered: July 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 6:55:12 PM UTC+10, Gareth Evans wrote:

> As it happens, I have ordered a newer printer as the WF2510 is
> no longer listed,

You haven't checked out the wifi.

> and when my several work benches have been
> cleared to make enough room, then I'll attempt disassembly to
> look for dry joints, dead spiders, etc, purely out of
> interest as its purpose in life will have been surpassed
> by the newer printer.

Have you substituted a USB cable for the WIFI?
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392898 is a reply to message #392859] Wed, 08 April 2020 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Vowels is currently offline  Robin Vowels
Messages: 288
Registered: July 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 6:56:19 PM UTC+10, Gareth Evans wrote:
> On 08/04/2020 03:51, r......@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 11:26:49 PM UTC+10, Gareth Evans wrote:
>>
>>> The behaviour of the printer is the same, both from a W10 laptop and
>>> also from a W7 laptop. In both cases it has been
>>> printing OK for over a year but now when a file is sent to it,
>>> the LCD screen on the printer shows, "printing ..." but apart
>>> from a couple of clunks and whizzes nothing further happens.
>>>
>>> I've had the printer on the workbench with a supply of air to
>>> give it a good blow through and can see nothing lodged inside
>>> although very little is visible of the innards.
>>>
>>> Again, if I use the printer in local mode to do a photocopy,
>>> it works fine, suggesting that control from the microprocessor
>>> is all in order.
>>>
>>> Via the network, both on W10 and W7 machines I can interrogate
>>> the ink levels and scan documents to load into the laptops.
>>>
>>> I've ensured that there is a sufficiently large tranche of paper in the to.
>>>
>>> I've done an extensive google search for faults on this model but have
>>> found nothing of use.
>>
>> Have you substituted a USB cable for the WiFi ?

> No, I am not set up to do that.

Buy a cable.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392899 is a reply to message #392872] Wed, 08 April 2020 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Vowels is currently offline  Robin Vowels
Messages: 288
Registered: July 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 5:07:20 AM UTC+10, Peter Flass wrote:
> Gareth Evans <h......@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 08/04/2020 00:28, Dave Garland wrote:
>>> On 4/7/2020 10:05 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>>>> Dave Garland <d.......@wizinfo.com> writes:
>>>
>>>> >
>>>> > My experience with all-in-one printers under Linux suggests that
>>>> > getting them working can be challenging (and the printer mfgr will say
>>>> > "we don't support that"). But it was working for him before.
>>>>
>>>> HP Printers work well with linux, even the all-in-ones.
>>>
>>> They work better. Though I had to hunt online to find an unofficial
>>> driver for my 2605dn and 4000 printers over the LAN. But those are
>>> serious (if elderly) printers. Gareth has a consumer-grade Epson
>>> connected with Wifi, and I'm not gonna tell him he needs to buy a new
>>> printer. It was working before, and the "copy" function works ok so the
>>> paper handling and printing mechanics must not be borked.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> As it happens, I have ordered a newer printer as the WF2510 is
>> no longer listed, and when my several work benches have been
>> cleared to make enough room, then I'll attempt disassembly to
>> look for dry joints, dead spiders, etc, purely out of
>> interest as its purpose in life will have been surpassed
>> by the newer printer.
>>
>> But thankyou to all who have responded
>>
>> I have used Linux in a number of contract software jobs but having cut
>> my teeth on naked blinkenlights machines where you had to write your own
>> OS, and subsequently been exposed to
>> loads of other OSs, ISIS on Intel gear, OS/32 on Perkin Elmer,
>> MSDOS on PCs, CP/M on 8 bit machines,
>> RSX11-M and RSX11-S on PDP11s, to me Linux is just another OS
>> with nothing in particular to recommend it; it is just so
>> much of a muchness.

> I suppose windows is the next-best thing to no OS at all ;-)

DOS is even better.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392900 is a reply to message #392858] Wed, 08 April 2020 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Vowels is currently offline  Robin Vowels
Messages: 288
Registered: July 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 6:55:12 PM UTC+10, Gareth Evans wrote:

> As it happens, I have ordered a newer printer as the WF2510 is
> no longer listed,

Rubbish. It's a current model; you can find it at EPSON.
It's one of a family of WORKFORCE printers that uses
4 ink cartridges with great ink.

> and when my several work benches have been
> cleared to make enough room, then I'll attempt disassembly to
> look for dry joints, dead spiders, etc, purely out of
> interest as its purpose in life will have been surpassed
> by the newer printer.

Reminds me of the time that my brother discarded an HP printer
of the 5xx series.
I looked at it, and all it required was wiping the bar
on which the cartridge carrier moved.
At that time, it was about 2 years old.

My HP500C (1994) still runs (touch wood).
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392903 is a reply to message #392892] Thu, 09 April 2020 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

On 08/04/2020 23:21, Dan Espen wrote:
>
> Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
> naked blinkenlights.

AIUI the 64 bit processors no longer boot as 16 bitters,
which counts out MSDOS as an option.

How proud I was in 1986 to have the book,
"Advanced MSDOS" by Ray Duncan, and how
passe it is today!
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392904 is a reply to message #392903] Thu, 09 April 2020 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Espen is currently offline  Dan Espen
Messages: 3530
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 08/04/2020 23:21, Dan Espen wrote:
>>
>> Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
>> naked blinkenlights.
>
> AIUI the 64 bit processors no longer boot as 16 bitters,
> which counts out MSDOS as an option.
>
> How proud I was in 1986 to have the book,
> "Advanced MSDOS" by Ray Duncan, and how
> passe it is today!

Hmm, MSDOS annoyed me from day 1.
What I wanted was a Unix flavor.
DOS fell short in so many ways.

--
Dan Espen
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392906 is a reply to message #392904] Thu, 09 April 2020 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

On 09/04/2020 12:02, Dan Espen wrote:
> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> On 08/04/2020 23:21, Dan Espen wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
>>> naked blinkenlights.
>>
>> AIUI the 64 bit processors no longer boot as 16 bitters,
>> which counts out MSDOS as an option.
>>
>> How proud I was in 1986 to have the book,
>> "Advanced MSDOS" by Ray Duncan, and how
>> passe it is today!
>
> Hmm, MSDOS annoyed me from day 1.
> What I wanted was a Unix flavor.
> DOS fell short in so many ways.
>

DOS had two different ways of accessing disk files,
both the CP/M way and also the UNIX way.

I have no quasi-religious attitude to any language
or OS. I've used several of each in my time and
when I get around to them, I have my own ideas for
both (QV).
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392907 is a reply to message #392906] Thu, 09 April 2020 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Espen is currently offline  Dan Espen
Messages: 3530
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 09/04/2020 12:02, Dan Espen wrote:
>> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> On 08/04/2020 23:21, Dan Espen wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
>>>> naked blinkenlights.
>>>
>>> AIUI the 64 bit processors no longer boot as 16 bitters,
>>> which counts out MSDOS as an option.
>>>
>>> How proud I was in 1986 to have the book,
>>> "Advanced MSDOS" by Ray Duncan, and how
>>> passe it is today!
>>
>> Hmm, MSDOS annoyed me from day 1.
>> What I wanted was a Unix flavor.
>> DOS fell short in so many ways.
>>
>
> DOS had two different ways of accessing disk files,
> both the CP/M way and also the UNIX way.

Sure, and .BAT is exactly equivalent to .sh.

> I have no quasi-religious attitude to any language
> or OS. I've used several of each in my time and
> when I get around to them, I have my own ideas for
> both (QV).

Religious, why are you going there?
I just didn't want to use junk.

So, DOS had 2 characters to end each line.
Completely ridiculous. Then I seem to remember
^Z would sit at the end of your file even though the
system knew the file byte count.

I once decided to become expert at using the display on DOS.
I bought a rather thick book on VGA.
I'd previously decided IBM 3270s were crap due to unwarranted
complexity.

The hundreds of VGA modes showed me exactly how bad a display design
could be.

If I remember DOS and it's TSRs, there was no way to wait for keyboard
input, you just kept polling the keyboard for input.
What a POS.


--
Dan Espen
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392908 is a reply to message #392903] Thu, 09 April 2020 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott is currently offline  scott
Messages: 3713
Registered: February 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
> On 08/04/2020 23:21, Dan Espen wrote:
>>
>> Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
>> naked blinkenlights.
>
> AIUI the 64 bit processors no longer boot as 16 bitters,
> which counts out MSDOS as an option.

That's incorrect. Intel and AMD x86_64 processors still
reset to real mode. The boot loader generally transitions
to protected mode, turns on paging, then switches to long mode (64-bit).
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392909 is a reply to message #392906] Thu, 09 April 2020 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott is currently offline  scott
Messages: 3713
Registered: February 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
> On 09/04/2020 12:02, Dan Espen wrote:
>> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> On 08/04/2020 23:21, Dan Espen wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
>>>> naked blinkenlights.
>>>
>>> AIUI the 64 bit processors no longer boot as 16 bitters,
>>> which counts out MSDOS as an option.
>>>
>>> How proud I was in 1986 to have the book,
>>> "Advanced MSDOS" by Ray Duncan, and how
>>> passe it is today!
>>
>> Hmm, MSDOS annoyed me from day 1.
>> What I wanted was a Unix flavor.
>> DOS fell short in so many ways.
>>
>
> DOS had two different ways of accessing disk files,
> both the CP/M way and also the UNIX way.

Compared to unix, DOS was a toy. There is no
comparison between the two.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392910 is a reply to message #392907] Thu, 09 April 2020 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

On 09/04/2020 15:35, Dan Espen wrote:
>
> So, DOS had 2 characters to end each line.
> Completely ridiculous.

If it was CR & LF, then they were control
characters for the Teletypes that were extant
for many years.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392911 is a reply to message #392904] Thu, 09 April 2020 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorgen Grahn is currently offline  Jorgen Grahn
Messages: 529
Registered: March 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Thu, 2020-04-09, Dan Espen wrote:
> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> On 08/04/2020 23:21, Dan Espen wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
>>> naked blinkenlights.
>>
>> AIUI the 64 bit processors no longer boot as 16 bitters,
>> which counts out MSDOS as an option.
>>
>> How proud I was in 1986 to have the book,
>> "Advanced MSDOS" by Ray Duncan, and how
>> passe it is today!
>
> Hmm, MSDOS annoyed me from day 1.
> What I wanted was a Unix flavor.
> DOS fell short in so many ways.

MS-DOS looked impressive to me; I was on some kind of CP/M system, and
only read about DOS in library books. Then I never got to use it;
someone introduced me to the Commodore-Amiga, and then there was Unix.

But I read those library books and planned what I'd do with that
exciting and strange MS-DOS environment. I can still feel the
excitement.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392913 is a reply to message #392904] Thu, 09 April 2020 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie Gibbs is currently offline  Charlie Gibbs
Messages: 4743
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On 2020-04-09, Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> On 08/04/2020 23:21, Dan Espen wrote:
>>
>>> Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
>>> naked blinkenlights.
>>
>> AIUI the 64 bit processors no longer boot as 16 bitters,
>> which counts out MSDOS as an option.
>>
>> How proud I was in 1986 to have the book,
>> "Advanced MSDOS" by Ray Duncan, and how
>> passe it is today!
>
> Hmm, MSDOS annoyed me from day 1.
> What I wanted was a Unix flavor.
> DOS fell short in so many ways.

And Windows inherited those shortcomings, so they're
with us to this day.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.
X I'm really at ac.dekanfrus | Linux is anarchy.
/ \ if you read it the right way. | Pick your poison.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392914 is a reply to message #392911] Thu, 09 April 2020 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie Gibbs is currently offline  Charlie Gibbs
Messages: 4743
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On 2020-04-09, Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp@snipabacken.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-04-09, Dan Espen wrote:
>
>> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> On 08/04/2020 23:21, Dan Espen wrote:
>>>
>>>> Actually Linux is one of the few OSes that let you get near those
>>>> naked blinkenlights.
>>>
>>> AIUI the 64 bit processors no longer boot as 16 bitters,
>>> which counts out MSDOS as an option.
>>>
>>> How proud I was in 1986 to have the book,
>>> "Advanced MSDOS" by Ray Duncan, and how
>>> passe it is today!
>>
>> Hmm, MSDOS annoyed me from day 1.
>> What I wanted was a Unix flavor.
>> DOS fell short in so many ways.
>
> MS-DOS looked impressive to me; I was on some kind of CP/M system, and
> only read about DOS in library books. Then I never got to use it;
> someone introduced me to the Commodore-Amiga, and then there was Unix.
>
> But I read those library books and planned what I'd do with that
> exciting and strange MS-DOS environment. I can still feel the
> excitement.

You were fortunate; this is definitely one of those cases
where the reality doesn't live up to the fantasy.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.
X I'm really at ac.dekanfrus | Linux is anarchy.
/ \ if you read it the right way. | Pick your poison.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392915 is a reply to message #392910] Thu, 09 April 2020 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott is currently offline  scott
Messages: 3713
Registered: February 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
> On 09/04/2020 15:35, Dan Espen wrote:
>>
>> So, DOS had 2 characters to end each line.
>> Completely ridiculous.
>
> If it was CR & LF, then they were control
> characters for the Teletypes that were extant
> for many years.
>

Indeed, but only one of the two characters are necessary
to terminate a line; both just waste space.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392916 is a reply to message #392915] Thu, 09 April 2020 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Gareth Evans

On 09/04/2020 18:29, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>> On 09/04/2020 15:35, Dan Espen wrote:
>>>
>>> So, DOS had 2 characters to end each line.
>>> Completely ridiculous.
>>
>> If it was CR & LF, then they were control
>> characters for the Teletypes that were extant
>> for many years.
>>
>
> Indeed, but only one of the two characters are necessary
> to terminate a line; both just waste space.
>

With the Teletypes, ASR / KSR 33/35 CR, carriage return
brought the printing head back to the start, the left hand side
of the line but did not move the paper up to the next line, which was
the function of LF, line feed.

With just CR, you could overtype the line.

There's difference between a text file to be shipped out
to your local Teletype, and the organisation of files
in the OS.
Re: Epson printing problems? [message #392917 is a reply to message #392916] Thu, 09 April 2020 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
scott is currently offline  scott
Messages: 3713
Registered: February 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
> On 09/04/2020 18:29, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Gareth Evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> writes:
>>> On 09/04/2020 15:35, Dan Espen wrote:
>>>>
>>>> So, DOS had 2 characters to end each line.
>>>> Completely ridiculous.
>>>
>>> If it was CR & LF, then they were control
>>> characters for the Teletypes that were extant
>>> for many years.
>>>
>>
>> Indeed, but only one of the two characters are necessary
>> to terminate a line; both just waste space.
>>
>
> With the Teletypes, ASR / KSR 33/35 CR, carriage return
> brought the printing head back to the start, the left hand side
> of the line but did not move the paper up to the next line, which was
> the function of LF, line feed.

I used one. Every day for three years.

>
> With just CR, you could overtype the line.
>
> There's difference between a text file to be shipped out
> to your local Teletype, and the organisation of files
> in the OS.

Dos, of course, had a TYPE command which was designed specifically
to format data for display. It could easily have added the CR
(if LF was the line terminator) or vice versa.

Unix predated DOS, so there was precedent for using LF as a record
terminator.

There is no need to store both characters on every line in a text file.
Pages (4): [1  2  3  4    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Chicago P.D. TV series--computer usage
Next Topic: "A picture paints a thousand words"
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 18 19:47:15 EDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01055 seconds