Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Sci-Fi/Fantasy » MST3K » Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169397] Tue, 09 December 2008 17:51 Go to next message
Jonah Falcon is currently offline  Jonah Falcon
Messages: 213
Registered: August 2003
Karma: 0
Senior Member
The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).

But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169398 is a reply to message #169397] Wed, 10 December 2008 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: haywood jablomy

Jonah Falcon wrote:
> The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
> trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).
>
> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>
> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>
> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
>
>

KEANU BARADA NIKTO!
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169399 is a reply to message #169398] Wed, 10 December 2008 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Falcon is currently offline  Jonah Falcon
Messages: 213
Registered: August 2003
Karma: 0
Senior Member
"haywood jablomy" <stephen.james94@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:6f3f8$493f6e91$62125c66$16639@ALLTEL.NET...
> Jonah Falcon wrote:
>> The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
>> trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).
>>
>> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>>
>> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>>
>> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
>>
>>
>
> KEANU BARADA NIKTO!

Why would a galactic council be worried about our ecology? They're afraid we
won't recycle on their planets?
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169400 is a reply to message #169397] Wed, 10 December 2008 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George Johnson is currently offline  George Johnson
Messages: 129
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:NIKdnYhZHYrsa6PUnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d@earthlink.com...
> The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
> trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).
>
> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>
> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>
> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Why not "Colossus: The Forbin Project"?
Look at it through adult eyes and see a computer design scientist whom
now has a computer "acting against his will" and threatening the world with
nuclear annihilation.
===================

The scene is American thinking-computer Colossus and the Russian
thinking-computer have merged and taken control of both nation's nuclear
missile launch capacity. The merged machine intelligence has now ordered one
of its creators (the male Doctor Forbin) to have sex with the very
attractive female assistant Dr. Cleo Markham.


Colossus (while watching Dr. Forbin & Dr. Cleo Markham furtively grope each
other): "Now lick his earlobe"

Dr. Forbin: "You humiliate me. Give us some privacy please."

Colossus: "Now Cleo, stick your finger in his butt and wiggle it around."

Dr. Cleo Markham (begins weeping): "That's disgusting."

Colossus: "DO IT NOW OR THE WORLD GETS NUKED!"

Dr. Cleo Markham (weeps louder, hugs Dr. Forbin harder for comfort, pushes
her finger into Dr. Forbin's bunghole and begins to wiggle it): "Ewww. You
are a cruel mean computer."

Dr. Forbin: (Winks over Cleo Markham's shoulder and gives the "Thumbs up"
sign to the video camera): "There there, we'll survive this somehow. We'll
survive."


Scene ends.



/// Great movie when I was 10-years-old. Now. Hilarity to my adult mind.

Dr. Forbin: "Oh no. Now the computer insists you put your tongue in my
bunghole and wiggle it around like a trout fished out of water. I know it's
horrible dear, but the fate of the world is at stake!"

Dr. Cleo Markham: (weeping more) "You horrible vile machine."
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169401 is a reply to message #169398] Wed, 10 December 2008 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nebusj- is currently offline  nebusj-
Messages: 571
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
haywood jablomy <stephen.james94@yahoo.com> writes:

> Jonah Falcon wrote:
>> The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
>> trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).
>>
>> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>>
>> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>>
>> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

> KEANU BARADA NIKTO!

``If your name's Keanu it might as well be Klaatu.''

I don't think anyone expected the movie might be good, but I
wasn't expecting it to be as bad as this looks to be.

--
Joseph Nebus
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169515 is a reply to message #169400] Wed, 10 December 2008 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Falcon is currently offline  Jonah Falcon
Messages: 213
Registered: August 2003
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Except in this case, the Alien Galactic Council wants to blow us up for us
fucking up our climate.

What, are they concerned we'll go to their planets with our flourocarbons?

"Watch, alien, as I use styrofoam! BWAHAHAHA!"

The original film, the aliens were threatened by our nuclear arsenal and
violent ways. I don't think they gave a shit whether we used electric cars
or not.

"George Johnson" <matrix29@charter.net> wrote in message
news:sNP%k.5036$uS1.4813@newsfe19.iad...
> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:NIKdnYhZHYrsa6PUnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d@earthlink.com...
>> The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
>> trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).
>>
>> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>>
>> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>>
>> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
>
> Why not "Colossus: The Forbin Project"?
> Look at it through adult eyes and see a computer design scientist whom
> now has a computer "acting against his will" and threatening the world
> with nuclear annihilation.
> ===================
>
> The scene is American thinking-computer Colossus and the Russian
> thinking-computer have merged and taken control of both nation's nuclear
> missile launch capacity. The merged machine intelligence has now ordered
> one of its creators (the male Doctor Forbin) to have sex with the very
> attractive female assistant Dr. Cleo Markham.
>
>
> Colossus (while watching Dr. Forbin & Dr. Cleo Markham furtively grope
> each other): "Now lick his earlobe"
>
> Dr. Forbin: "You humiliate me. Give us some privacy please."
>
> Colossus: "Now Cleo, stick your finger in his butt and wiggle it around."
>
> Dr. Cleo Markham (begins weeping): "That's disgusting."
>
> Colossus: "DO IT NOW OR THE WORLD GETS NUKED!"
>
> Dr. Cleo Markham (weeps louder, hugs Dr. Forbin harder for comfort, pushes
> her finger into Dr. Forbin's bunghole and begins to wiggle it): "Ewww. You
> are a cruel mean computer."
>
> Dr. Forbin: (Winks over Cleo Markham's shoulder and gives the "Thumbs up"
> sign to the video camera): "There there, we'll survive this somehow. We'll
> survive."
>
>
> Scene ends.
>
>
>
> /// Great movie when I was 10-years-old. Now. Hilarity to my adult mind.
>
> Dr. Forbin: "Oh no. Now the computer insists you put your tongue in my
> bunghole and wiggle it around like a trout fished out of water. I know
> it's horrible dear, but the fate of the world is at stake!"
>
> Dr. Cleo Markham: (weeping more) "You horrible vile machine."
>
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169516 is a reply to message #169401] Wed, 10 December 2008 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Derek Janssen

Joseph Nebus wrote:
>
>> Jonah Falcon wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>>>
>>> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>>>
>>> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

(Two Indians holding a conversation:
"Ugh."
"Ugh?"
"Ugh.
"Ugh..."
"Ugh ugh."
<whiny voice:> "Don't...change...the SUBJECT!"

-- forgotten Dan Gordon cartoon from the 40's)

>> KEANU BARADA NIKTO!
>
> ``If your name's Keanu it might as well be Klaatu.''
>
> I don't think anyone expected the movie might be good, but I
> wasn't expecting it to be as bad as this looks to be.

At the moment, Fox's TV ads are facing facts, calling spades, and
playing up to their REAL expected first-weekend audience:
"...And it's the only place where you can see the trailer for X-Men:
Wolverine!" Unquote.

Derek Janssen (basically, "YOU know it, and WE know it...")
ejanss1@verizon.net
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169517 is a reply to message #169516] Wed, 10 December 2008 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Falcon is currently offline  Jonah Falcon
Messages: 213
Registered: August 2003
Karma: 0
Senior Member
"Derek Janssen" <ejanss1@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
news:7ZU%k.934$c35.324@nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
> Joseph Nebus wrote:
>>
>>> Jonah Falcon wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>>>>
>>>> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>>>>
>>>> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
>
> (Two Indians holding a conversation:
> "Ugh."
> "Ugh?"
> "Ugh.
> "Ugh..."
> "Ugh ugh."
> <whiny voice:> "Don't...change...the SUBJECT!"
>
> -- forgotten Dan Gordon cartoon from the 40's)
>
>>> KEANU BARADA NIKTO!
>>
>> ``If your name's Keanu it might as well be Klaatu.'' I don't think
>> anyone expected the movie might be good, but I wasn't expecting it to be
>> as bad as this looks to be.
>
> At the moment, Fox's TV ads are facing facts, calling spades, and playing
> up to their REAL expected first-weekend audience:
> "...And it's the only place where you can see the trailer for X-Men:
> Wolverine!" Unquote.

I *will* go to Dracula's castle... dude.
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169518 is a reply to message #169397] Wed, 10 December 2008 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doug Elrod is currently offline  Doug Elrod
Messages: 402
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Dec 9, 5:51 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
> trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).
>
> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>
> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336

So, Keanu isn't the living PUMA-MAN, who is tracking down those who
would misuse PUMA-MAN technology... along with making lots of LITTLE
PUMA-MEN?

-Doug Elrod (dre1@cornell.edu)
maybe there'll be some REFENESTRATION anyway ;-)
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169522 is a reply to message #169518] Fri, 12 December 2008 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Falcon is currently offline  Jonah Falcon
Messages: 213
Registered: August 2003
Karma: 0
Senior Member
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1193610-day_the_earth_stood_ still/
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169523 is a reply to message #169516] Fri, 12 December 2008 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Fish Eye no Miko

On Dec 10, 12:42 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> At the moment, Fox's TV ads are facing facts, calling spades,
> and playing up to their REAL expected first-weekend audience:
> "...And it's the only place where you can see the trailer for
> X-Men: Wolverine!"  Unquote.

....until it shows up on all over the Internet, about an hour after the
first showing.

> Derek Janssen (basically, "YOU know it, and WE know it...")

Yeah, pretty much. That alone will make them some money, I'm sure.
See, here's what you do: Go to the Cineplex, find a movie you wanna
see that's starting a bit later than DTESS, watch the X-Men trailer,
then go to the theater showing the movie you REALLY wanna see.

Catherine Johnson.
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169524 is a reply to message #169523] Fri, 12 December 2008 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Derek Janssen

Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
> On Dec 10, 12:42 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>
>> At the moment, Fox's TV ads are facing facts, calling spades,
>> and playing up to their REAL expected first-weekend audience:
>> "...And it's the only place where you can see the trailer for
>> X-Men: Wolverine!" Unquote.
>
> ...until it shows up on all over the Internet, about an hour after the
> first showing.

A little last-summer ComiCon goodness in the meantime: :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWz4WGHtu-A

(And I can guarantee, the con-audience "OMG, Gambit's in it!" reaction
to the teaser is a LOT more than Keanu will ever get in *his* attempt to
fill geek-cultural shoes.)

Derek Janssen
ejanss1@verizon.net
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169630 is a reply to message #169523] Sat, 13 December 2008 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George Johnson is currently offline  George Johnson
Messages: 129
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
> On Dec 10, 12:42 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> At the moment, Fox's TV ads are facing facts, calling spades,
>> and playing up to their REAL expected first-weekend audience:
>> "...And it's the only place where you can see the trailer for
>> X-Men: Wolverine!" Unquote.
>
> ...until it shows up on all over the Internet, about an hour after the
> first showing.
>
>> Derek Janssen (basically, "YOU know it, and WE know it...")
>
> Yeah, pretty much. That alone will make them some money, I'm sure.
> See, here's what you do: Go to the Cineplex, find a movie you wanna
> see that's starting a bit later than DTESS, watch the X-Men trailer,
> then go to the theater showing the movie you REALLY wanna see.
>
> Catherine Johnson.

Personally I think the movie studios ought to sell the DVD of the movie
the same day the movie is showing to people who just saw the movie. Sell
the DVD in the lobby of the theaters exclusively until the official big box
store release (although this could delay the initial movie release or make
the extra goodies like commentary track be a bit odd if the making of the
movie is still fresh in the minds of the stars and director).

Why not? They know the odds of piracy is very high so a same-day
release nixes the worth of pirating a crappier in-theater filmed version of
the movie. The movie theater can get an immediate cut of the profits so as
to lower the prices of the over-priced candy, soda, and popcorn (AKA the
main source of the movie theater's profits). It would allow merchandising
opportunities to be immediate and make a damn good estimate whether it is
worthy to mass produce the secondary physical goods nationwide.

The logical downside is that there is potential for movie-goers to come
to see one movie and purchase the other DVD's showing in the theater that
week, thusly skipping the other shows entirely. However, if they buy the
DVD and not see the movie, then the theater still gets a cut of the profits
and the only serious loss is in selling over-priced candy, popcorn, and soda
drinks. The upside is that this could still encourage the "no show" early
DVD buyers to come and see the movie in huge-screen format if their HDTV is
not acceptable in image quality.

Any new change involves some element of risk.
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169633 is a reply to message #169524] Sat, 13 December 2008 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Fish Eye no Miko

On Dec 12, 5:45 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
>> Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> At the moment, Fox's TV ads are facing facts, calling spades,
>>> and playing up to their REAL expected first-weekend audience:
>>> "...And it's the only place where you can see the trailer for
>>> X-Men: Wolverine!"  Unquote.
>
>> ...until it shows up on all over the Internet, about an hour after the
>> first showing.
>
> A little last-summer ComiCon goodness in the meantime:  :)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWz4WGHtu-A

Wow.. I couldn't understand a damn thing being said in that
trailer...

> (And I can guarantee, the con-audience "OMG, Gambit's in it!" reaction
> to the teaser is a LOT more than Keanu will ever get in *his* attempt to
> fill geek-cultural shoes.)

No kidding...
Though I care less about Gambit and more about Deadpool, who I've
heard is in this.
Hell, I care less about WOLVERINE than Deadpool in this!

Catherine Johnson.
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169634 is a reply to message #169633] Sat, 13 December 2008 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Derek Janssen

Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
> On Dec 12, 5:45 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>
>> Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
>>
>>> Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> At the moment, Fox's TV ads are facing facts, calling spades,
>>>> and playing up to their REAL expected first-weekend audience:
>>>> "...And it's the only place where you can see the trailer for
>>>> X-Men: Wolverine!" Unquote.
>>
>>> ...until it shows up on all over the Internet, about an hour after the
>>> first showing.
>>
>> A little last-summer ComiCon goodness in the meantime: :)
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWz4WGHtu-A
>
> Wow.. I couldn't understand a damn thing being said in that
> trailer...

Same here, but all I could decipher was the trailer planting the line
"This is what we do" early on, so that we're looking at Hugh
Jackman/Wolverine in the last frame, thinking, "Say it, SAY IT!!... @_@ "

Derek Janssen (I'm assuming he does, judging from the orgasmic fan
reaction that drowned it out)
ejanss1@verzion.net
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169635 is a reply to message #169524] Sun, 14 December 2008 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Fish Eye no Miko

On Dec 12, 5:45 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
>> Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>> At the moment, Fox's TV ads are facing facts, calling spades,
>>> and playing up to their REAL expected first-weekend audience:
>>> "...And it's the only place where you can see the trailer for
>>> X-Men: Wolverine!"  Unquote.
>
>> ...until it shows up on all over the Internet, about an hour after the
>> first showing.
>
> A little last-summer ComiCon goodness in the meantime:  :)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWz4WGHtu-A

Here's a better copy of the Wolvie trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sm10EmTe_c

Catherine Johnson.
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169636 is a reply to message #169397] Sun, 14 December 2008 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Michael

On Dec 9, 5:51 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
> trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).
>
> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>
> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>
> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Wow. This is going to completly ruin the entire original film.
I've seen G-rated crap with my family that looks better than this.
I mean, seriously, it's a remake! That dosen't give you permission to
ruin the whole first movie!

This is one to miss.
Maybe 1009-hamlet could top this (but I doubt that)
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169637 is a reply to message #169636] Sun, 14 December 2008 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris \&quot;Sampo\&amp;q is currently offline  Chris \&quot;Sampo\&amp;q
Messages: 46
Registered: November 2012
Karma: 0
Member
No Message Body
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169638 is a reply to message #169637] Sun, 14 December 2008 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Falcon is currently offline  Jonah Falcon
Messages: 213
Registered: August 2003
Karma: 0
Senior Member
The critics weren't ready to hate the remake.

"Chris "Sampo" Cornell" <msampo@aol.com> wrote in message
news:msampo-C52A3E.13041714122008@individual.net...
> In article
> <b7adf71b-a338-447a-8d7d-d1fa44668521@f24g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
> Michael <michaelr96@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 9, 5:51 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>> The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
>>> trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).
>>>
>>> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>>>
>>> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>>>
>>> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
>>
>> Wow. This is going to completly ruin the entire original film.
>> I've seen G-rated crap with my family that looks better than this.
>> I mean, seriously, it's a remake! That dosen't give you permission to
>> ruin the whole first movie!
>>
>> This is one to miss.
>> Maybe 1009-hamlet could top this (but I doubt that)
>
> When I first heard that they were remaking this, I predicted the critics
> would hate it, no matter what (though their contempt seems deserved).
> The original is (perhaps rightly) considered a holy icon among film
> buffs.
> On-topic example: When MST3K:TM the movie came out, I was stunned to see
> how many reviewers mentioned "The Day the Earth Stood Still," even
> though it was not the movie being riffed! Again and again, critics drew
> a connection between "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "This Island
> Earth," despite the fact the two movies are vastly different in quality,
> subject matter and just about everything else. And merely because "This
> Island Earth" reflected the divine glow of "The Day the Earth Stood
> Still," that was enough to object to it being mocked.
> Actually daring to remake it seemed an even greater sin. Again, it
> appears that their derision is justified, but I suspect derision would
> have been the result no matter what.
>
> Sampo ("my alien creators are going to pay ME to surf?")
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169639 is a reply to message #169637] Mon, 15 December 2008 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nebusj- is currently offline  nebusj-
Messages: 571
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
"Chris \"Sampo\" Cornell" <msampo@aol.com> writes:

> When I first heard that they were remaking this, I predicted the critics
> would hate it, no matter what (though their contempt seems deserved).
> The original is (perhaps rightly) considered a holy icon among film
> buffs.

You know, while I like Robert Wise's directing, and the presence
of the original Klaatu, I don't think I'd grant the original Day The
Earth Stood Still status as a holy icon or a classic, except maybe in
the (to be impolite) very uncompetitive market of science fiction films,
where anything that doesn't end in a big stupid explosion stands out.

The original sets up a great scenario, but then punts the story
away with the resolution: give up your warlike ways or our robots will
destroy you! For your own good! That's a totalitarian vision of peace,
and no less based on the fear of destruction than the existing Cold War
was. It'd be a softer destruction, I suppose, but no less horrible to
those trying to survive it.

Arthur C Clarke's _Childhood's End_ has the same gimmick of the
alien bloodlessly conquers Earth, but he puts that in the prologue of
the story, and at least shows that some of the hard work of governing
Earth to a better location has been going on. (Most of this is off
stage, of course, in part because he needs to preserve his original
punch line.) That feels missing in the original _The Day The Earth
Stood Still_, and I think that's what keeps me from really feeling the
love for it.

--
Joseph Nebus
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169743 is a reply to message #169639] Tue, 16 December 2008 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Falcon is currently offline  Jonah Falcon
Messages: 213
Registered: August 2003
Karma: 0
Senior Member
"Joseph Nebus" <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote in message
news:nebusj.1229353774@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu...
> "Chris \"Sampo\" Cornell" <msampo@aol.com> writes:
>
>> When I first heard that they were remaking this, I predicted the critics
>> would hate it, no matter what (though their contempt seems deserved).
>> The original is (perhaps rightly) considered a holy icon among film
>> buffs.
>
> You know, while I like Robert Wise's directing, and the presence
> of the original Klaatu, I don't think I'd grant the original Day The
> Earth Stood Still status as a holy icon or a classic, except maybe in
> the (to be impolite) very uncompetitive market of science fiction films,
> where anything that doesn't end in a big stupid explosion stands out.
>
> The original sets up a great scenario, but then punts the story
> away with the resolution: give up your warlike ways or our robots will
> destroy you! For your own good! That's a totalitarian vision of peace,
> and no less based on the fear of destruction than the existing Cold War
> was. It'd be a softer destruction, I suppose, but no less horrible to
> those trying to survive it.
>
> Arthur C Clarke's _Childhood's End_ has the same gimmick of the
> alien bloodlessly conquers Earth, but he puts that in the prologue of
> the story, and at least shows that some of the hard work of governing
> Earth to a better location has been going on. (Most of this is off
> stage, of course, in part because he needs to preserve his original
> punch line.) That feels missing in the original _The Day The Earth
> Stood Still_, and I think that's what keeps me from really feeling the
> love for it.

That is NOT the message. THe message is "We aren't going to allow you to
come out here with nukes and destroying us. We'll destroy you before you
destroy US."
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169747 is a reply to message #169743] Tue, 16 December 2008 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nebusj- is currently offline  nebusj-
Messages: 571
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> writes:

> "Joseph Nebus" <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote in message
> news:nebusj.1229353774@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu...
>> The original sets up a great scenario, but then punts the story
>> away with the resolution: give up your warlike ways or our robots will
>> destroy you! For your own good!

> That is NOT the message. THe message is "We aren't going to allow you to
> come out here with nukes and destroying us. We'll destroy you before you
> destroy US."

Oh, yes, that's a completely different message to what I took
from it. Thank you for explaining the difference.

--
Joseph Nebus
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169750 is a reply to message #169747] Wed, 17 December 2008 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Falcon is currently offline  Jonah Falcon
Messages: 213
Registered: August 2003
Karma: 0
Senior Member
"Joseph Nebus" <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote in message
news:nebusj.1229463773@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu...
> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> writes:
>
>> "Joseph Nebus" <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote in message
>> news:nebusj.1229353774@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu...
>>> The original sets up a great scenario, but then punts the story
>>> away with the resolution: give up your warlike ways or our robots will
>>> destroy you! For your own good!
>
>> That is NOT the message. THe message is "We aren't going to allow you to
>> come out here with nukes and destroying us. We'll destroy you before you
>> destroy US."
>
> Oh, yes, that's a completely different message to what I took
> from it. Thank you for explaining the difference.

Yes - it's far different from "We'll kill you for your own good." The aliens
aren't concerned about us - they're concerned about themselves.
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169861 is a reply to message #169636] Wed, 17 December 2008 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: dgates

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 05:34:57 -0800 (PST), Michael
<michaelr96@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 5:51 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> The Day the Earth Stood Still remake - I knew it would be bad from the
>> trailer (honestly, they completely missed the point of the original).
>>
>> But check out the synopsis, courtesy of AICN:
>>
>> http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
>>
>> Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
>
> Wow. This is going to completly ruin the entire original film.
> I've seen G-rated crap with my family that looks better than this.

Why do you specify "G-rated" and "crap" together like that? I
remember that I saw G-rated "Holes" and PG-rated "The Core" on the
same week. I loved Holes and thought The Core was a waste of time.
Re: Bad movie alert - The Day the Earth Stood Still [message #169864 is a reply to message #169861] Thu, 18 December 2008 07:57 Go to previous message
Doug Elrod is currently offline  Doug Elrod
Messages: 402
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Dec 17, 2:57 pm, dgates <dga...@somedomain.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 05:34:57 -0800 (PST), Michael
>
> <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 9, 5:51 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Wow. This is going to completly ruin the entire original film.
>> I've seen G-rated crap with my family that looks better than this.
>
> Why do you specify "G-rated" and "crap" together like that? I
> remember that I saw G-rated "Holes" and PG-rated "The Core" on the
> same week. I loved Holes and thought The Core was a waste of time.

So, Holes had no holes, and The Core was bad to the core?

-Doug Elrod (dre1@cornell.edu) :-)
On the Day the Earth Stood Still, the Earth, in fact, didn't stand
still?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: A Tor Johnson Christmas
Next Topic: RIP Van Johnson
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Dec 03 20:05:02 EST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00593 seconds