Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Sci-Fi/Fantasy » MST3K » Hey Sampo
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Hey Sampo [message #163599] Tue, 15 July 2008 23:16 Go to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Bruce Probst

.... the FAQ you just posted could do with a couple of updates. One I
noticed is that it says the MST3K:TM DVD is out of print. Another is
that it says that the new Eddie Murphy movie has the wrong title (it
should be "Meet Dave").

"Meet Dave" got a pretty good review here on "The Movie Show", btw.
They particularly praised the script and Murphy's performance.

Bruce
Melbourne, Australia
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163601 is a reply to message #163599] Tue, 15 July 2008 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Derek Janssen

Bruce Probst wrote:

> ... the FAQ you just posted could do with a couple of updates. One I
> noticed is that it says the MST3K:TM DVD is out of print. Another is
> that it says that the new Eddie Murphy movie has the wrong title (it
> should be "Meet Dave").
>
> "Meet Dave" got a pretty good review here on "The Movie Show", btw.
> They particularly praised the script and Murphy's performance.

It's also living up to its "image" as "Pluto Nash II":
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_picture/2008/07/eddi e-murphy-no.html

Derek Janssen (but at least no Hillary jokes)
ejanss1@verizon.net
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163711 is a reply to message #163599] Tue, 15 July 2008 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Ellwanger is currently offline  Jim Ellwanger
Messages: 40
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Member
In article
<48a0689e-2b1a-40e3-a628-3099d102cf6c@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
Bruce Probst <bruce.probst@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Meet Dave" got a pretty good review here on "The Movie Show", btw.
> They particularly praised the script and Murphy's performance.

Wow, Australia really is upside-down from the rest of the world!

--
Jim Ellwanger <usenet@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv> welcomes you daily.
"The days turn into nights; at night, you hear the trains."
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163712 is a reply to message #163599] Wed, 16 July 2008 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris \&quot;Sampo\&amp;q is currently offline  Chris \&quot;Sampo\&amp;q
Messages: 46
Registered: November 2012
Karma: 0
Member
In article
<48a0689e-2b1a-40e3-a628-3099d102cf6c@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
Bruce Probst <bruce.probst@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... the FAQ you just posted could do with a couple of updates. One I
> noticed is that it says the MST3K:TM DVD is out of print. Another is
> that it says that the new Eddie Murphy movie has the wrong title (it
> should be "Meet Dave").
>
> "Meet Dave" got a pretty good review here on "The Movie Show", btw.
> They particularly praised the script and Murphy's performance.
>
> Bruce
> Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for catching that! I'll update it for next time.

Sampo
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163713 is a reply to message #163599] Wed, 16 July 2008 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Tom Carberry

"Bruce Probst" <bruce.probst@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:48a0689e-2b1a-40e3-a628-3099d102cf6c@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...
> ... the FAQ you just posted could do with a couple of updates. One I
> noticed is that it says the MST3K:TM DVD is out of print. Another is
> that it says that the new Eddie Murphy movie has the wrong title (it
> should be "Meet Dave").
>
> "Meet Dave" got a pretty good review here on "The Movie Show", btw.
> They particularly praised the script and Murphy's performance.
>
> Bruce
> Melbourne, Australia

Just about every review I've read has been negative. It is supposed to be
in a league with Norbit and Pluto Nash. I think I'll wait for Netflix to
get this one.

Tom Carberry (#45505, and "..I thought the composting toilet had backed
up--turns out it's this weeks experiment".)
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163714 is a reply to message #163713] Wed, 16 July 2008 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Derek Janssen

Tom Carberry wrote:
>
> Just about every review I've read has been negative. It is supposed to be
> in a league with Norbit and Pluto Nash. I think I'll wait for Netflix to
> get this one.
>
> Tom Carberry (#45505, and "..I thought the composting toilet had backed
> up--turns out it's this weeks experiment".)

One article theorizes that most moviegoers had not Clue One what the
movie was about (who's that fella with the big head?) after the studio
dropped the original "Starship Dave" title.

Which brings up the cautionary lesson for studios:
We don't care if Disney also does it, in the end, it's just better NOT
to change the title of a would-be oddball comedy to "Meet..." if you're
desperately running out of ideas for how to sell it.

Derek Janssen (whose address book does not include the Deedles,
Applegates, Robinsons, Fockers, or Bill)
ejanss1@verizon.net
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163715 is a reply to message #163714] Wed, 16 July 2008 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: haywood jablomy

>
> Derek Janssen (whose address book does not include the Deedles,
> Applegates, Robinsons, Fockers, or Bill)


How about the Feebles?
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163716 is a reply to message #163714] Thu, 17 July 2008 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Rick Thorne

Derek Janssen wrote:

> Derek Janssen (whose address book does not include the Deedles,
> Applegates, Robinsons, Fockers, or Bill)

Nothing wrong with those Fockers. I've met some really nice Fockers -
especially the mothers, who are just really cool mother Fockers.
Don't me started on the uncle Fockers from Canada, tho. Different
breed.

Rick
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163718 is a reply to message #163713] Thu, 17 July 2008 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George Johnson is currently offline  George Johnson
Messages: 129
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
"Tom Carberry" <jtj0012@134.139.2.10> wrote in message
news:s3qfk.64$z4.18573@okeanos.csu.net...
>
> "Bruce Probst" <bruce.probst@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:48a0689e-2b1a-40e3-a628-3099d102cf6c@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...
>> ... the FAQ you just posted could do with a couple of updates. One I
>> noticed is that it says the MST3K:TM DVD is out of print. Another is
>> that it says that the new Eddie Murphy movie has the wrong title (it
>> should be "Meet Dave").
>>
>> "Meet Dave" got a pretty good review here on "The Movie Show", btw.
>> They particularly praised the script and Murphy's performance.
>>
>> Bruce
>> Melbourne, Australia
>
> Just about every review I've read has been negative. It is supposed to be
> in a league with Norbit and Pluto Nash. I think I'll wait for Netflix to
> get this one.
>
> Tom Carberry (#45505, and "..I thought the composting toilet had backed
> up--turns out it's this weeks experiment".)

Pluto Nash is watchable and moderately enjoyable.

If you don't pay much thought to physics issues, bizarrely incongruent
technology (they've got androids, but have not covered the moon with the
improved versions of cellphone towers), problems with mass reactive weapons
in a city with a lead-glass dome (not reinforced with a steel grid plus
Faraday cage on the inside and out), certain problems with "natural
resources" (making water and certain metals rather expensive on the moon),
and other nagging logical issues then the movie is no worse in entertainment
than "Independence Day" or "Spider-Man" (with rapid self-dehydrating
body-generated webbing) or "Blade Runner". The cast performed well enough
to sell the movie to lose the 4th wall. The technical quality of the movie
was perfectly acceptable. The dialog was not bothersome and sold the
characters as believable. It's not like this movie was the sole source of
screwed up basic lunar science in the entire history of movies.

For all of the bad reviews, I figured it was more of a negative-review
gang-bang given the generic 1960's Sci-Fi aspect of the plotline.

Given how generally willfully-ignorant the general populace is of
science and decent fiction, I am rather surprised that "Pluto Nash" was not
a sure-fire hit. If "Meet the Spartans" and "Epic Movie" and "Highschool
Musical" can sell themselves to a profitable audience, then I cannot
browbeat "Pluto Nash" to review it much below a 50% watchability score and a
30% rewatchability score.
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163719 is a reply to message #163718] Thu, 17 July 2008 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Derek Janssen

George Johnson wrote:
>
> Pluto Nash is watchable and moderately enjoyable.
>
> If you don't pay much thought to physics issues, bizarrely incongruent
> technology (they've got androids, but have not covered the moon with the
> improved versions of cellphone towers), problems with mass reactive weapons
> in a city with a lead-glass dome (not reinforced with a steel grid plus
> Faraday cage on the inside and out), certain problems with "natural
> resources" (making water and certain metals rather expensive on the moon),
> and other nagging logical issues

Like Hillary Clinton actually becoming president...

Derek Janssen (which, along with the "President Schwarzenegger" jokes in
Simpsons Movie, now makes two historically retired lame gags)
ejanss1@verizon.net
Re: Hey Sampo [message #163824 is a reply to message #163714] Fri, 18 July 2008 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: billfl

Previously on "How It's Made", Derek Janssen wrote:

> Derek Janssen (whose address book does not include the Deedles,
> Applegates, Robinsons, Fockers, or Bill)

*sniff*

First Tarantino tries to kill me, now this.

Bill L.
Sad & Blue
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++
billfl@hiwaay.net http://home.hiwaay.net/~billfl

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you're smart,
surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."
Isaac Jaffee (Robert Guillaume), "Sports Night"
Re: Hey Sampo (other possible confusions) [message #163825 is a reply to message #163716] Fri, 18 July 2008 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doug Elrod is currently offline  Doug Elrod
Messages: 402
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Jul 17, 1:23 am, Rick Thorne <senselesspe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nothing wrong with those Fockers.  I've met some really nice Fockers -
> especially the mothers, who are just really cool mother Fockers.
> Don't me started on the uncle Fockers from Canada, tho.  Different
> breed.

Not to be confused with the Fokker triplane! Which is sometimes seen
doing battle with Snoopy's doghouse ;-)

Also, "Meet Dave" shouldn't be confused with "Meat Sam", the epic
story of Alice's boyfriend on "The Brady Bunch"!

-Doug Elrod (dre1@cornell.edu) ;-)
going to see *Graham* Nash, whom I hope no one confuses with
*Pluto* Nash....
Re: Hey Sampo (other possible confusions) [message #163827 is a reply to message #163825] Wed, 23 July 2008 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: Rick Thorne

Doug Elrod wrote:

>    going to see *Graham* Nash, whom I hope no one confuses with
> *Pluto* Nash....

Nah. Graham is a real cracker, whereas Pluto is space-case.

Rick
Re: Hey Sampo (other possible confusions) [message #163944 is a reply to message #163825] Tue, 29 July 2008 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Karma:
Originally posted by: billfl

Previously on "Bones", Doug Elrod wrote:
> On Jul 17, 1:23=A0am, Rick Thorne <senselesspe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Nothing wrong with those Fockers. =A0I've met some really nice Fockers -
>> especially the mothers, who are just really cool mother Fockers.
>> Don't me started on the uncle Fockers from Canada, tho. =A0Different
>> breed.
>
> Not to be confused with the Fokker triplane! Which is sometimes seen
> doing battle with Snoopy's doghouse ;-)
>
> Also, "Meet Dave" shouldn't be confused with "Meat Sam", the epic
> story of Alice's boyfriend on "The Brady Bunch"!

Neither of whic, of course, should be confused with Meat Mick Spock.

Bill L.
Keeping Hoary Old RATMM catchphrases alive way past the expiration date
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++
billfl@hiwaay.net http://home.hiwaay.net/~billfl

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you're smart,
surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."
Isaac Jaffee (Robert Guillaume), "Sports Night"
Re: Hey Sampo (other possible confusions) [message #163945 is a reply to message #163944] Wed, 30 July 2008 16:43 Go to previous message
Doug Elrod is currently offline  Doug Elrod
Messages: 402
Registered: September 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
On Jul 29, 11:57 pm, bil...@hiwaay.net (Bill Livingston) wrote:
> Previously on "Bones", Doug Elrod wrote:
>> Also, "Meet Dave" shouldn't be confused with "Meat Sam", the epic
>> story of Alice's boyfriend on "The Brady Bunch"!
>
> Neither of whic, of course, should be confused with Meat Mick Spock.

Oh, if only there had been a crossover ep. with Mick Spock being Sam's
long-lost brother! He didn't realize he was in OUTER SPACE. I guess
he was fooled!

> Bill L.
> Keeping Hoary Old RATMM catchphrases alive way past the expiration date

I'm sure Alice would have some pithy remark to say here about
expiration dates and meat!

-Doug Elrod (dre1@cornell.edu) :-)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Shout/MST3K Episodes
Next Topic: Laugh with me, Jocko!
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Dec 03 21:22:23 EST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02161 seconds