Megalextoria
Retro computing and gaming, sci-fi books, tv and movies and other geeky stuff.

Home » Digital Archaeology » Electronic Gaming Arcana » Sega » Sega Genesis » Game Pilgrimage
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Game Pilgrimage [message #129768] Sun, 25 January 2009 18:56 Go to next message
shiksabanger is currently offline  shiksabanger
Messages: 1
Registered: January 2009
Karma: 0
Junior Member
One word: biased.

Face it, Sega made great arcade games but bad home hardware. The
Genesis was gimped. 64 colors is pathetic in 1989! Look at the Turbo.
Not kosher, Sega.

And the sound? Fran Drescher sounds better!

Now, Scott H, you sir have a lot to answer for.

The Genesis was an awesome system, but I'm just saying the SNES was
better.

Unfortunately Scott H your getting your facts mixed around. Overall
the Super Nintendo boasted the superior sound capabilities with its
Sony made sound chip. A fact that isn't even open to interpretations
or personal opinions.


Quote:
***The sound on the Super Nintendo was revolutionary back in 1991. It
impressed many players due to its ability to play back real instrument
samples at good quality. The SNES can play samples at better quality
than the Sega Genesis. The SNES' signal-to-noise ratio is also better
and is a reason why its more crisp and clear than the Genesis. Voices
on most SNES games generally sound fairly clear. However, some samples
sound bad due to limited cartridge space and sound RAM. One minor
downfall of the SNES sound chip is a lack of creativity; it has no
built-in synthesizer (like in the Genesis). People had to find
something to sample. However, with good quality samples, SNES music
sounded great. One other very minor problem with the SNES' sound is
the low-pass filter. It often made samples sound a little more dull
than they should have, but it wasn't really an issue. On the whole,
the sound chip made by Sony was a large leap in the console industry,
and it proved to be better than the Z80/Yamaha chip running in the
Sega Genesis. The SNES' even had better ADPCM sound capabilities than
the so-called bigger and badder Neo Geo. However, the SNES' sound chip
is kinda primitive compared to later systems.***

Quote:
***The Sega Genesis uses an FM synthesis sound chip made by Yamaha, a
well-known company of music, audio equipment, and motorcycles. The
sound chip is labeled as YM2612. The sound chip has 6 FM channels with
the ability to switch FM channel #6 to a PCM channel for 8-bit sample
playback at a somewhat low samplerate. Additionally, the Genesis has a
Texas Instruments PSG (Programmable Sound Generator) with 3 square
wave channels and one noise channel (tones and white noise similar to
some sounds on TG-16/PCE, GameBoy, NES, SMS) for extra parts of the
music and sound effects. The 8-bit Z80 CPU at 3.58 Mhz controls the
sound hardware.

Like the graphics, the Genesis' audio capabilities aren't very
impressive. Many sound effects don't sound right because they are
often FM synthesized. Voices and other sampled sound effects often
sound somewhat grainy and scratchy because of memory limitations and
space limitations. However, some games have relatively clear voices
and digitized sound effects. The music, on the other hand, is usually
good. The FM synthesizer, if programmed well, can produce really cool
sounds as well as synthesizing most acoustic instruments fairly well.
Basically, it was more creativity. The music in some games can be
tinny at times and even sound more like NES music. On the other hand,
when games are made for both Genesis and SNES, the SNES versions
usually (but not always) has the better music. Overall, the sound
capabilities of the Sega Genesis aren't bad at all, but they aren't
that good either.***

You know in snes you could actually save your games. Not have to use a
password.
The Super Nintendo was able to display 256 colors on the screen at the
same time and the Genesis could only display 64 so super nintendo
games often looked better.
Genesis did had an advantage though in that it could display faster
moving scenes and thus had the sonic titles.

Nintendo had better 3rd party support originating as a carry over from
its NES days.

Sure the first Mortal Kombat was superior on Genesis because it was
uncensored but that changed with Mortal Kombat II. The Snes version
had a far better image quality with its larger color palette, higher
quality music, higher quality voice recordings, and a controller that
actually had enough buttons for all the inputs.

And you say that there's "no bottom line to these three versions of
Mortal Kombat II that sets one above another absolutely. Whichever
version was played first will very likely be the one that remains
prefered"?!?! Are you fucking that far up Sega's kooter?

I played them both upon release, and there's no question that the
Genesis' version is greatly inferior. It's so badly programmed that it
doesn't even have low punch!

Even the 32X version is lacking overall compared to the awesome SNES
version. It has bigger characters and the arcade intro, but no ending
portraits, ugly backgrounds and sound that still sucks! Missing voices
abound.

That Sony sound chip sure was advanced, it made the SNES sound better
than the supposedly "32 bit" Genesis upgrade.

But then, Sony knows how to make great hardware.

We saw that with the Playstation's demolition of the Saturn, a machine
that was made for the past (sprites), while Sony looked to the future
(polygons).
Re: Game Pilgrimage [message #129769 is a reply to message #129768] Sun, 25 January 2009 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BelPowerslave is currently offline  BelPowerslave
Messages: 264
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Senior Member
shiksabanger@gmail.com wrote:
> One word: biased.

Here's another one: Trolling.

> Face it, Sega made great arcade games but bad home hardware. The
> Genesis was gimped. 64 colors is pathetic in 1989! Look at the Turbo.
> Not kosher, Sega.

What's not kosher is you using almost the exact same argument a known
troll made more than 2 years ago, again involving Scott:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.sega/browse_t hread/thread/9e2408cafc9eee11/5b5b71df52b262f2?lnk=gst&q =belpowerslave%2C+what%27s+pathetic+is+the+snes#5b5b71df52b2 62f2

"it's really pathetic that Genesis could only display 64 colors
on-screen at once, in hardware, without programmers resorting to
special tricks or techniques that introduce other limitations of
movement. the hardware was released in late 1988 in Japan (the
MegaDrive). 64 colors at once was not much better than what the Sega
Master System could display, which was either 52 or 32 at once.
Master System hardware came out in 1984 or 1985 in Japan as the Sega
Mark III, and in 1986 in the U.S. going from 32~52 colors on
screen to 64 colors on screen in the space of 3-4 years is an
unacceptable improvement. one could say it is a virtual step back given
the time (not the actual number)."

The troll? AirRaid.

> And the sound? Fran Drescher sounds better!

<yawn>

> Now, Scott H, you sir have a lot to answer for.
>
> The Genesis was an awesome system, but I'm just saying the SNES was
> better.

....no, what you're saying is "biased" and "you sir have a lot to answer
for". Idiot, you just posted both above.

> Unfortunately Scott H your getting your facts mixed around. Overall
> the Super Nintendo boasted the superior sound capabilities with its
> Sony made sound chip. A fact that isn't even open to interpretations
> or personal opinions.

Yet "you're just saying" that the SNES was better? This has got to be
one of the weakest, worst pieces of flamebait I have ever come across.
You hide behind your fake-ass Gmail account...you have *one* whole
message(this one) and you expect people to buy this bullshit?

You're lucky "As Time Goes By" is on right now...I wouldn't have even
bothered busting your ass at all...

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Today I fly over Eu-Mei. Tomorrow... I'll kick over Wudan Mountain!"
- Jen, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Re: Game Pilgrimage [message #129770 is a reply to message #129768] Mon, 26 January 2009 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott H is currently offline  Scott H
Messages: 60
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Member
shiksabanger@gmail.com wrote:
> One word: biased.

Says the obvious Nintendo troll. I would like to point out two things.
One, a million people stating their subjective opinion as fact does
not make their opinion a fact. Two, there is no objective way to
measure the differences between Genesis and SNES sound overall, and so
the comparison is entirely subjective.

I say this for the benefit of anybody else out there that thinks they
can listen to sound, prefer the sound of one thing over another, and
unilaterally pronounce one absolutely better. If you do this, you are
by definition biased.

Some useful definitions are cited below.

Objective:
3 a: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without
distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations

Subjective:
4 a (1): peculiar to a particular individual : personal <subjective
judgments> (2): modified or affected by personal views, experience, or
background

Bias:
3 a: bent , tendency b: an inclination of temperament or outlook ;
especially : a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment : prejudice c:
an instance of such prejudice

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
Re: Game Pilgrimage [message #129771 is a reply to message #129768] Sat, 31 January 2009 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apple2Steward is currently offline  Apple2Steward
Messages: 44
Registered: January 2013
Karma: 0
Member
What a load of crap!! Game Pilgramge is a FANTASTIC site. Very
informative and entertaining. Thanks Scott H. for your wonderful
contributions, please don't listen to this ass/troll. Sounds like he's
just upset that he missed his "short bus" to school this morning.
Re: Game Pilgrimage [message #129772 is a reply to message #129771] Sun, 01 February 2009 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott H is currently offline  Scott H
Messages: 60
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Member
T. Rivet wrote:
> What a load of crap!! Game Pilgramge is a FANTASTIC site. Very
> informative and entertaining. Thanks Scott H. for your wonderful
> contributions, please don't listen to this ass/troll. Sounds like he's
> just upset that he missed his "short bus" to school this morning.

I think my site needs a lot of work, but thank you. I also think
denizens of the short bus would be insulted to be associated with the
original poster. ;)

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
Game Pilgrimage [message #129851 is a reply to message #129768] Tue, 31 March 2009 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott H is currently offline  Scott H
Messages: 60
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Member
Game Pilgrimage has been updated to a content managed website. Over the
next several months I hope to get all of the old content converted to
the new system. I will also be creating a series of polls that I hope
everybody will participate in. Updates will be posted as they occur.


--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
Re: Game Pilgrimage [message #130453 is a reply to message #129851] Thu, 23 July 2009 14:52 Go to previous message
Scott H is currently offline  Scott H
Messages: 60
Registered: November 2006
Karma: 0
Member
I've updated the look and feel of the Library link on gamepilgrimage,
and added the entire Nintendo 64 game library to the database. The N64
features a new "genre" field which I intend to add to all of the games
in the database that have been classified as notable. The genre field,
rather than shoehorning a game into a single term, features three
phrases that summarize why actual gamers thought the game's gameplay was
notable. It is a sort of ten birds with three stones approach. Any and
all feedback is welcome.

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: high speed internet
Next Topic: Top 5 Genesis games you would like to be redone on current consoles
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Fri Aug 14 19:21:04 EDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00454 seconds